Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 02-17-2010, 06:19 AM   #261
1 Rivet Member

Fontana , Wisconsin
Argosy huh, how do you like it? We are going to look at a 1986 Arg.
GKIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2010, 01:21 PM   #262
2 Rivet Member

1987 33' Argosy
Campbellsville , Kentucky
Question

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKIRON View Post
Argosy huh, how do you like it? We are going to look at a 1986 Arg.
We just bought our 87 Argosy 33' front kitchen model - only had it 2 days so far, but we love it none the less. I see you are only a bit newer than me to these forums ... wondering if you bought the 86 you were going to look at.

87 Argosy 33 F since April 2010
CCGAL is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 05:18 PM   #263
1 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
St Augustine , Florida
1972 Caravel new owner. Just thought I would say hello someplace. HELLO!
Grider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2010, 05:25 PM   #264
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Well, HELLO right back atcha, Grider! And welcome to airforums.com!

Howsabout a few nice photos of your new-2-U GT?
Old 04-15-2010, 07:22 PM   #265

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grider View Post
1972 Caravel new owner. Just thought I would say hello someplace. HELLO!
Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. Feel free to go over into the member introduction sub forum, and introduce yourself with some details.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2010, 03:42 AM   #266
1 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
St Augustine , Florida
Thank you all! Will post pics and introduce myself further in the future. As of now I am just lucky to have found my way back to this thread.
Grider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2010, 07:34 PM   #267
NOAZRK

2004 34' Classic S/O
Currently Looking...
Kutztown , Pennsylvania
Janet,

Where can I read about green rivets, silver rivets, gold rivets, rivet master and so on?

ALK

NOAZRK2690 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:28 PM   #268
3 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tenafly , New Jersey
RV Checklists: A Philosophical Perspective

Introduction

Being a newbie i spent a huge number of hours reading RV books and reading threads on airforums. Tons of great information and lots of amazingly helpful people. However, i found that i had to do a lot of leg work and ended up re-working draft checklists into something that worked for me, but which was quite a bit different from the lists on the airforums. So to contribute back for all the great help i recieved from so many on Aiforums as i got started (not meaning to imply i know much at this point, i don't, but i have some really long checklists to make it feel like i know something!) i thought i'd share my checklists in case they help out other newer-newbies. There are undoubtedly mistakes aplenty, and i'm sure i will be teased at many a future campfire for the whackly items and details in the lists i'll attach. But here it goes.....

Felix or Oscar

Checklists appeal the Felix Unger in all of us. Some of us tend to be a tad more "Felixy," others lien a bit more to the Oscar Madison view of RV Checklists. My favorite checklist, found on some website long ago forgotten, and square in the Oscar Madison checklist camp, went something like this:
1. Duct Tap for anything that moves and shouldn't.
2. WD-40 for anything that should move that doesn't.
3. A couple of good bottles of Merlot and a cork screw (notice Oscar, no glasses on the list).
4. Everything else can kinda work itself out.

Not that's a great checklist. I admit however, that since Felix Unger was my idol when I was but a nerdy lad, that checklist did not quite do it.

The American Idol Ultimate Checklist

No the most compulsive checklist I've seen (and boy was it impressive) was supposedly prepared by a formal Naval officer. This thing was so awesome that the guy had to have been an engineer to. It was a zillion column Excel spread sheet that listed the weight of each item in ounces. You can organize it by location in the RV or truck, by cabinet, by category, by type of store to buy a replacement, and a host of other factors.

What Works for You

So what is the best checklist? That is the one simple answer in all this. It's the one that works for you. My checklists are a lot longer than most. Because I know so little (my only RV experience before buying our Airstream was Robin Williams movie, never had even seen the inside of an RV before we bought one) creating and initially reviewing the checklists is itself a great learning process. For those with more experience shorter lists that perhaps concentrate on just the more common oversights (duh, should I have lowered that antennae before pulling out) might suffice. So consider what you really need the checklist for and work it out to make it practical for you.

The Big Kahuna

I started with one master checklist for everything and quickly found that it was too long and too hard to follow.

Consumables Checklist

Then I broke out a checklist for traveling and one for consumables. Having a separate list of perishable items (chocolate, red wine, chocolate) made it easier to identify what we might need to stock before the trip. The list also includes consumables that may not be perishable, the most critical example being the unmentionable TP. The reality is that a simpler and common RV technique has largely obviated the use of the consumables checklist. A cube of scratch paper and a pen sit in a wicker basket on our dinette table all the time (well when were parked to avoid pen projectiles). As we camp we jot down notes of stuff to replenish or add. So the consumables checklist was really helpful in stocking the RV and likely will be on the restock before each season. It was a great help in getting our arms around packing and replenishing, but hasn't been as critical.

Towing Checklist

A checklist for towing was the next main checklist, but it was too complicated and didn't quite focus as RV newbies on the nuances of leaving home, arriving at an RV park and setting up, leaving the RV park and arriving home. It seemed more practical, helpful, natural and compulsive to have a separate checklist for each so that is what divided the main "towing" checklist into. For example, when you arrive at an RV park you can open the little vent flaps so that the stove exhaust fan will really work. The alternative, which we discovered, was a great way to test the smoke detector in the RV. Now setting off the smoke detector in an RV park is a great way to meet your neighbors, but we'll try to remember to unhook them on future trips. Each of these four checklists is geared to the nuances of leaving home, setting up camp, closing down camp, and arriving at home.

Towing Cheat Sheet

Another checklist that we assembled early on is what I called a "Towing Cheat Sheet." This is a really short and concise list of key numbers that might be helpful to know: height of the RV (yes, including the A/C unit on the roof ), weight, wheel pressure, VIN, license, Good Sams emergency numbers and account numbers, etc. (Yes, one full typed page in 10 point Times Roman is really short. If a lawyer were billing they'd use 12 point type and double space to make it 2 ½ pages and then they could bill more).
Permanent or Non-Consumables

At some point we might assemble a list of all the non consumable stuff we put in the RV from tools, utensils, pots, linen, clothes, meatballs, etc. We haven't put that one together yet since when we stocked the RV for the first time we simply laid out all the items we had (shop in your attic and pick through old camping equipment to find really neat stuff to add to your RV collection) in a spare room and used the 'visual' rather than a formal list, to get set up.

Internal Organization of Checklists

So with the types of checklists that we'd prepare and use settled, there were still more steps. How should the checklists be organized internally so that they would be the easiest to use, and help avoid oversights? Everyone will come up with their own approach, but we came up with one that seemed simple, logical and workable for us. For the inside the trailer checklists the list starts at the door and winds it way in logical sequence right to left all the way around the trailer. For the outside checklists we started at the door and worked back toward the rear of the trailer, up the street sound and around the front back to the door again. But in making the full circle, do not pass "Go" and do not collect $200.

What made this approach practical is that it broke down each checklist to manageable bites and at the same time makes it really easy to look at one area of the trailer, one part of a list, and not miss anything.

What's on Your Bucket List

Finally, everyone does unique stuff in their RV. If you have health issues as many do, you'll have to take along special items that might include medications, walking aids, CPAP machine, etc. Those certainly should be on your lists. If you work out of your RV that might warrant its own list. We hope to provide seminars throughout the country to help charities that serve those living with chronic illness. So we have a separate list of materials and supplies to bring for each seminar. While the list is unlikely to be of much use to anyone else in its detail, the idea of how to assemble a checklist for your business, hobby or other special use of your RV, might be helpful.

Caution

A word of caution. You cannot find a group of folks that will be more helpful than Airstream'ers. It's rather pleasantly astonishing. That being said, if you get five AS'ers in a room you'll likely have six different opinions each of which is correct. So too when it comes to checklists. So even if someone has a view that there is a particular best way to prepare a particular checklist, you really have to understand their goal and use of the checklist, how much experience they have relative to you, what their set up is compared to yours, and even what their preferences are. So read lots of checklists but ultimately invest the time and type up what works for you. The best checklist, if it is awkward to use, too long, obfuscates important info, etc. will be of little use.

Conclusion

Checklists are a great tool, but perhaps critical for Newbies. Taking the time to figure out what works for you (how detailed, how long, how organized, etc.) will take some time and thought (time you're not out camping). For some the back of a match book might suffice, for us it was a lot more. Whatever works for you to make your AS experience safer (that should be the first priority) and enjoyable is the way to go. Good luck!

Checlists will be attached as separte posts following this introductory post.

www.RV4TheCause.org

WBCCI No. 1577, Watchung NJ Unit No. 068; TAC - NJ-4; Nova founding member No. 006
pattimarty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2010, 09:41 PM   #269
3 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tenafly , New Jersey
Campsite Arrival Checklist

1. General.

a. Register, obtain map, etc.
b. Identify camp site.
c. Any rules for dogs?
d. Confirm checkout time.
e. Reservations for nearby attractions, etc.

2. Site Pre-Parking Checklist.

a. Test campsite electric voltage and polarity. If problem get new site.
b. Location of sewer, water and electrical, hook ups.
c. Level of site.
d. Low branches, holes, debris, and general clearance issues.
e. Pull or back in.

3. Leveling.

a. Set up level on dinette table.
b. Level.
c. Adjust level right/left using Lynx blocks.
d. Tentative front/back level (should blocks be used or only tongue jack).
e. Unhitch.
f. Pad under tongue jack.
g. Lower tongue jack.
h. Level front/back using tongue jack.

4. Unhitching.

a. Unhook 7 pin electrical connection.
b. Insert red plugs into TV and connection.
c. Disconnect carabineer and break away line.
d. Stow connection cable and break away line and carabineer in bag, and secure to A-frame with bungee.
e. Disconnect safety chains at attach to A frame.
f. Loosen tension on ProPride weight distribution jacks. [We purchased a ProPride for safety reasons. If you use a different hitch obviously these steps will differ]
g. Use wrench to disconnect each side.
h. Remove OCL latches as each lever is disconnected. Stow in TV.
i. Loosen ProPride weight distribution hitches
j. Drive out. If not planning trips leave aligned to ease hitching up on departure.
k. Lower trailer tongue jack until trailer and TV level.
l. Close car windows dummy. (Yeah, we were so careful the first time that it wasn't until the next day after a full night of rain we realized the truck window was WIDE open. We're still drying out our AS manual that was on the front seat).

5. Outside of Trailer.

a. Front of A Frame.

i. Propane on.
ii. Cabinet locked/secured.
iii. 7 pin electrical connector and break away secured.

b. Door Side of Trailer.

i. 2 Wheel chocks placed.
ii. 2 Stabilizer jacks lowered onto Lynx blocks.
iii. Steps opened and door mat down.
iv. Wooden rack in front of door step (gets off the dirt)
v. Fridge outside compartment doors secure top/bottom. Fridge plugged in (yeah, really - the first trip out the fridge wouldn't work. All the brilliant experienced campers couldn't figure out what was wrong….the plug!).

vi. Awning.

1. Velcro on each side of awning rods removed and tied to rods.
2. Unsecure 3 awning latches.
3. Awning opened.
4. Secure arms.
5. Rod stored in back bumper.

vii. Table and Electric appliances set up.

c. Street Side of Trailer.

i. 2 Wheel chocks and Lynx blocks as necessary placed.
ii. Water lines.

1. Sanitize faucet with bleach spray and run water before hook up. (We use a small plastic spray bottle with a water/bleach mixture)
2. Pressure regulator connected.
3. Outside water filter hook up.
4. Hoses connected.
5. Verify all connections tight.

iii. 2 Stabilizer jacks lowered onto Lynx blocks.
iv. Electrical lines connecting.
1. Turn campsite circuit on.
2. Turn circuit off before hook up.
3. Plug into trailer then into City Hookup.
4. Turn circuit on.
5. Install voltmeter and circuit tester in trailer to monitor during stay.

v. Cable for television connect and adjust control in side trailer.

vi. Sewer line.
1. Sewer hook up.
2. 2nd line, connectors, donut by intake valve, etc. as required.

vii. Latch kitchen vents opened. (unless of course you need to test the smoke alarm in your trailer. We've tried it both ways!)

d. Top of Trailer.

i. Antennae raised if no cable (watch branches).
ii. No branches or obstacles. (Yeah, duplicate of the prior item!)

e. Underneath Trailer.

i. No rocks, debris, holes.
f. Surrounding Area.
i. Set up folding table, chairs, flamingos, etc.

6. Inside Trailer.

a. Door.
i. Master storage switch on "store". Antennae fully lowered.

b. Dinette.
i. Kitchen appliances set up.
ii. Vent opened, Fantastic fan on.
iii. Table opened and set up.
iv. Basket on table set up.

c. Kitchen.
i. Kitchen utensils, etc. set up.
ii. Coffee mugs unwrapped. (We like real glass coffee mugs so we wrap them up to prevent breakage. All that plastic stuff is fine, but not for coffee!)
d. Closet.
i. Check levels of gray, black, batteries, potable.
ii. Water pump switch off if city water used.
iii. Wifi in Motion system powered on
e. Television Cabinet Top/Bottom.
i. Pictures in frames unwrapped and set up.
ii. Level, circuit tester and volt meter secured in bag on pantry. (We store these items that are used quickly upon arrival in a small back that clips right to the pantry door so it's readily available).
iii. Television set up. (Don't want to miss Law & Order)
f. Fridge.
i. Refrigerator contents set up, bungees stowed.
ii. Ice block in freezer. (We put it in the fridge when traveling to keep it cooler longer).
iii. Large water bottle full and in fridge not on door.
iv. Fridge control "on" for electric position. If no city power turn on propane. (So our first trip out we burned propane the entire weekend forgetting to switch it over. Now you know why this obvious step is on our checklist).

g. Vanity.

i. Bathroom vanity items set up.
ii. Wicker basket, flowers and toiletries set up.
iii. Turn on hot water heater when appropriate.

h. Bathroom.

i. Bedroom.

i. Television control button on if cable hookup.

www.RV4TheCause.org

WBCCI No. 1577, Watchung NJ Unit No. 068; TAC - NJ-4; Nova founding member No. 006
Old 06-11-2010, 09:45 PM   #270
3 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tenafly , New Jersey
Home Departure Checklist

1. Pre-trip checklist.
a. Plans, confirmations, reservation, map/directions, MapQuest, verify no bridges/tunnels with restrictions on www.goodsam.com. See front of Trailer Life Directory.
b. Notify police, stop mail.
c. Propane levels.
d. Fresh water levels.
e. House batteries charged.
f. Refrigerator turned on evening before departure.
g. Flashlight and camp-light batteries.
h. TV Fuel, oil, wiper fluid.
i. EZ Pass - swap car (white) for towing (blue) unit in window
j. Review Consumables and RV4TheCure supplies checklists.
k. Potable water - consider flushing and replacing.

2. Confirm taking.
a. Tire pressure gauge.
b. Work gloves.
c. Torque wrench and sockets for trailer.
d. Air compressor.
e. ProPride wrench.

3. TV/Trailer General Exterior Checks.
a. Inspect tires on TV and trailer.
b. Tire pressure on TV @35 PSI, and trailer 65 PSI.
c. Inspect lug nuts on trailer. Confirm proper torque 110 ft/lbs. Resent torque
d. Reset torque wrench to -0-.
e. Inspect and test trailer brakes and brake lights.
f. Trailer and TV level.
g. McKesh mirrors installed on doors.
h. Adjust all TV mirrors.

4. Hooking up ProPride Hitch.
a. Insert stinger into back of TV. Insert cotter pin.
b. Position back of TV toward hitch connection and direct hitch connection toward oncoming stinger.
c. Loosen tension on ProPride weight distribution jacks.
d. Back in
e. Get quite close. Align (up/down) the trailer height by raising or lowering the trailer tongue jack. Align (right/left) the end of the hitch by pushing it right/left with foot.
f. Finish backing in and Connect.
g. Use wrench to complete connection.
h. OCL latch into position as each lever is connected x 2.
i. Raise trailer tongue jack until trailer and TV level.
j. Tighten weight distribution hitches - ¼" below top of screw.
k. Connect 7 pin electrical cord from trailer to TV.
l. Stow red electrical cord covers in TV.
m. Cross and hook up safety chains to TV. (Avoid twisting to shorten to prevent drag if possible as it weakens the chains).
n. Hook up break away cable with carabineer to TV.

5. Trailer Break Controller in TV.
a. Confirm on and functional.

6. Weights - GVWR.
a. TV.
b. Trailer.
c. Tongue

7. Inside Trailer.

a. Door.
i. Lights off
ii. Master storage switch on "store". Antennae fully lowered.

b. Dinette.
i. Kitchen appliances, bagged, stowed and secured.
ii. Vents closed, Fantastic fan off.
iii. Lights off.
iv. Interior cabinets closed and latched.
v. Table upright and secured.
vi. Basket on table secured.

c. Kitchen.
i. Kitchen utensils, etc. stowed and secured
ii. Coffee mugs wrapped.
iii. Pots in oven wrapped and secure with bungee.
iv. Close and secure stove top cover.
v. Close closet and kitchen cabinets
vi. Oven and burner LP knobs off.
vii. Range exhaust cover closed and secured.

d. Closet.
ii. Water pump switch off.
iii. Wifi in Motion system powered down.
iv. Contents secure.
v. Light off.
vi. Door closed.

i. Pictures in frames wrapped and stowed.
ii. Level, circuit tester and volt meter secured in bag on pantry.
iii. Television strapped and secure.
iv. Bottom cabinet under fridge closed and secured.

f. Fridge.
i. Refrigerator contents secure with bungees.
ii. Ice block in fridge (maintains cold while driving).
iv. Fridge door secured.
v. Fridge control in "off" position.

g. Vanity.
i. Bathroom vanity items secure.
ii. Wicker basket, flowers and toiletries wrapped and in lower cabinet.

h. Bathroom
i. Secure shower door open.
ii. Close bathroom door and secure.
iii. Vents closed, fan off
iv. Toilet drained/dry (small amount of water left for seal).
v. Shower off.
vi. Shower head secured.
vii. Light off.
viii. Squeegee secure.
i. Bedroom.
i. Vent closed Fantastic fan off.
ii. 2 Windows all closed and locked.
iii. 2 Blinds secured
iv. Bedroom privacy door and blinds stowed and secured.
v. Television control button off.
vi. Dryer stowed and blue (moister absorber).

8. Outside of Trailer.

a. Front of A Frame.
i. Propane off.
iii. Battery compartment closed.
iv. Spare tire secure.
v. Locks secure.
vi. Window shield latched and secure.
vii. Tongue jack fully raised.
viii. 7 pin electrical connector and covers.

b. Door Side of Trailer.
i. Table and Electric appliances unplugged and stowed in TV.
ii. 2 Wheel chocks removed and stored in back of trailer.
iii. 2 Stabilizer jacks raised. Lynx blocks stored in back of trailer.
iv. Steps stowed and secure.
v. Bottom and top lock of door locked.
vi. Fridge compartment doors secure top/bottom.
vii. Water heater compartment door secure.

c. Back of Trailer.
i. Storage compartment.
1. Outside storage compartment contents packed.
2. Storage compartment locked.
3. Light out (packing can accidentally flip it on).
4. Dryer stowed and blue (moister absorber).
ii. Bumper compartment.
1. Awning rod.
2. Sewer hose.
3. Sewer connectors.
4. 2 Latches secured.

d. Street Side of Trailer.
i. 2 Wheel chocks removed and stored in back of trailer.
ii. Water lines.
1. City water hook up disconnected, filter, hoses, pressure regulator stowed. Knob closed.
2. Potable water hook up disconnected, filter, hoses, pressure regulator stowed. Panel closed and locked.
3. Water hoses drained, ends connected, stowed in back of trailer.
iv. Electrical lines disconnecting.
1. Disconnect from trailer.
2. Disconnect from outside outlet.
3. Wind, tie and stow in TV.
v. Latch kitchen vents closed

e. Top of Trailer.
i. Antennae lowered.
ii. No branches or obstacles.

f. Underneath Trailer.
i. Nothing left behind.

g. Surrounding Area.
i. Nothing left behind.
iii. Lock shed.

www.RV4TheCause.org

Old 06-11-2010, 09:50 PM   #271
3 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tenafly , New Jersey
Campsite Departure Checklist

1. TV/Trailer General Exterior Checks.

a. Inspect tires on TV and trailer.
b. Inspect and test trailer brakes and brake lights.
c. Trailer and TV level. McKesh mirrors installed on doors.
d. Adjust all TV mirrors.
e. Storage in back of TV secure and covered.

2. Weights - GVWR.

a. TV.
b. Trailer.
i. Consider level of potable water if gray and black tanks not emptied.
c. Tongue

3. Inside Trailer.

a. Door.
i. Lights off
ii. Master storage switch on "store". Antennae fully lowered.
iii. Door mats inside and out stowed.

b. Dinette.
i. Kitchen appliances, bagged, stowed and secured.
ii. Vents closed, Fantastic fan off.
iii. Lights off.
iv. Interior cabinets closed and latched.
v. Table upright and secured.
vi. Basket on table secured.

c. Kitchen.
i. Kitchen utensils, etc. stowed and secured
ii. Coffee mugs wrapped.
iii. Pots in oven wrapped and secure with bungee.
iv. Close and secure stove top cover.
v. Close closet and kitchen cabinets
vi. Oven and burner LP knobs off.
vii. Range exhaust cover closed and secured.

d. Closet.
ii. Water pump switch off. (See below may have to use to run some water into toilet after tanks drained).
iii. Wifi in Motion system powered down.
iv. Contents secure.
v. Light off.
vi. Door closed.

i. Pictures in frames wrapped and stowed.
ii. Level, circuit tester and volt meter secured in bag on pantry.
iii. Television strapped and secure.
iv. Bottom cabinet under fridge closed and secured.

f. Fridge.
i. Refrigerator contents secure with bungees.
ii. Ice block in fridge (maintains cold while driving).
iv. Fridge door secured.
v. Fridge control in "off" position.

g. Vanity.
i. Bathroom vanity items secure.
ii. Wicker basket, flowers and toiletries wrapped and in lower cabinet.

h. Bathroom
i. Secure shower door open.
ii. Close bathroom door and secure.
iii. Vents closed, fan off
iv. Toilet drained/dry (small amount of water left for seal).
v. Add some water and vinegar to toilet after tanks drained (may need to use potable water and water pump if disconnected from city water).
vi. Shower off.
vii. Shower head secured.
viii. Light off.
ix. Squeegee secure.
i. Bedroom.
i. Vent closed Fantastic fan off.
ii. 2 Windows all closed and locked.
iii. 2 Blinds secured
iv. Bedroom privacy door and blinds stowed and secured.
v. Television control button off.

4. Outside of Trailer.

a. Front of A Frame.

i. Propane off.
iii. Battery compartment closed.
iv. Spare tire secure.
v. Locks secure.
vi. Window shield latched and secure.
vii. Tongue jack fully raised.
viii. 7 pin electrical connector connected and red covers stowed.

b. Door Side of Trailer.

i. Table and Electric appliances unplugged and stowed in TV.
ii. 2 Wheel chocks removed and stored in back of trailer.
iv. Steps stowed and secure.
v. Bottom and top lock of door locked.
vi. Fridge compartment doors secure top/bottom.
vii. Water heater compartment door secure.
viii. Awning.
1. Awning closed.
2. Secure by 2 loop top latches.
3. Secure top hook.
4. Velcro on each side of awning rods secured.
5. Rod stored in back bumper.
c. Back of Trailer.
i. Storage compartment.
1. Outside storage compartment contents packed.
2. Storage compartment locked.
3. Light out (caution packing can easily flip it on).
4. Dryer stowed and blue (moister absorber).
ii. Bumper compartment.
1. Awning rod.
2. Sewer hose.
3. Sewer connectors.
4. 2 Latches secured.

d. Street Side of Trailer.
i. 2 Wheel chocks removed and stored in back of trailer.
ii. Water lines.
1. City water hook up disconnected, filter, hoses, pressure regulator stowed. Knob closed.
2. Water hoses drained, ends connected, stowed in back of trailer.
iv. Electrical lines disconnecting.
1. Disconnect from trailer.
2. Disconnect from city hookup.
3. Close electrical box at campsite.
4. Wind, tie and stow in TV.
v. Cable for television disconnected and cord wrapped, stowed in TV.
vi. Sewer line.
1. Black and gray tanks emptied.
2. Flush out with garden hose.
3. Black and gray bayonets and main drain closed.
4. Sewer hook up disconnected
5. 1 Sewer hose stored in tube underneath trailer, cap secured.
6. 1 Sewer hose and connectors stowed in back bumper and latches secured.
7. Add gallon of water and vinegar to black tank through toilet.
vii. Latch kitchen vents closed

e. Top of Trailer.
i. Antennae lowered.

f. Underneath Trailer.
i. Nothing left behind.
ii. No rocks, debris, holes.

g. Surrounding Area.
i. Nothing left behind.
ii. No rocks, debris, holes.
iii. No branches or obstacles.
iv. Outside items (folding table, chairs, flamingos, etc.) stored.
v. Lynx leveling blocks removed from site and stored in back of trailer.

5. Hooking up ProPride Hitch.

a. Insert stinger into back of TV. Insert cotter pin.
b. Position back of TV toward hitch connection and direct hitch connection toward oncoming stinger.
c. Loosen tension on ProPride weight distribution jacks.
d. Back in
e. Get quite close. Align (up/down) the trailer height by raising or lowering the trailer tongue jack. Align (right/left) the end of the hitch by pushing it right/left with foot.
f. Finish backing in and Connect.
g. Use wrench to complete connection.
h. OCL latch into position as each lever is connected x 2.
i. Raise trailer tongue jack until trailer and TV level.
j. Tighten weight distribution hitches - ¼" below top of screw.
k. Connect 7 pin electrical cord from trailer to TV.
l. Stow red electrical cord covers in TV.
m. Cross safety chains. (Avoid twisting to shorten to prevent drag if possible as it weakens the chains).
n. Hook up break away cable with carabineer to TV.

6. Trailer Break Controller in TV.
a. Confirm on and functional.

7. Site Look-Back Departure Checklist.
a. Before pulling out confirm Low branches, holes, debris, and general clearance issues.
b. Reconfirm antennae down, 4 stabilizer jacks and tongue jack raised.
c. Chocks and Lynx blocks stowed.
d. Garbage removed.
e. Cap on sewer line replaced.
f. Electrical circuit shut off and box closed.
g. Water shut off.
h. Go back and look again after pull out and circle car.

www.RV4TheCause.org

Old 06-11-2010, 09:53 PM   #272
3 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tenafly , New Jersey
Home Return Checklist

1. Parking and Unhitching.

a. Backing in.
i. Set up orange traffic cones to mark corner, brick wall and to alert traffic.
ii. Pray.

b. Unhitching.
i. Unhook 7 pin electrical connection.
ii. Insert red plugs into TV and connection.
iii. Disconnect carabineer and break away line.
iv. Stow connection cable and break away line and carabineer in bag, and secure to A frame with bungee.
v. Disconnect safety chains at attach to A frame.
vi. Loosen tension on ProPride weight distribution jacks.
vii. Use wrench to disconnect each side.
viii. Remove OCL latches as each lever is disconnected. Stow in TV.
ix. Loosen ProPride weight distribution hitches
x. Lower trailer tongue jack until trailer and TV level.
xi. Drive out. If not planning trips leave aligned to ease hitching up on departure.
xii. Close car windows dummy.

c. Store orange traffic cones.

2. Tow Vehicle.

a. Swap trailer EZ pass (blue) for regular EZ Pass (white).
b. Remove all perishables.
c. List "to do" or supply items for next trip.

3. Outside of Trailer.

a. Front of A Frame.
i. Confirm Propane off.
ii. Cabinet locked/secured..
iii. 7 pin electrical connector and break away secured.
iv. Lock stinger into hitch.

b. Door Side of Trailer.
i. 2 Wheel chocks placed.
iii. Steps opened.
iv. Fridge outside compartment doors secure top/bottom. Fridge plugged in (yeah, really).

c. Street Side of Trailer.
i. 2 Wheel chocks and Lynx blocks as necessary placed.
iii. Electrical line connected to outside house outlet.

4. Inside Trailer.

a. Door.
i. Master storage switch on.
ii. Review pantry for items needed for next trip.

b. Dinette.
i. Vent opened, Fantastic fan on.
ii. Table opened and set up.

c. Kitchen.
i. Towels to launder.
ii. List items needed for next trip.

d. Closet.
ii. Water pump switch off.
iii. Wifi in Motion system powered off.

f. Fridge.
i. Empty contents.

g. Vanity.
i. Towels to launder.

h. Bathroom.

i. Collect towels to launder.

i. Bedroom.

i. Collect laundry.

5. General To Do Items.

a. Plan next trip.

b. Lists of supplies, "to do" for next trip.

c. Get rid of items not needed. (hitching rods!)

d. Clean trailer inside.

e. Wash TV and trailer outside if necessary.

f. Open all doors, cabinets, prop up mattress to air out.

g. Run dehumidifier.

h. Run air purifier/ionizer.

i. "Charge" Airdryer for under bead storage, outside storage compartment and under dinette seat water tank areas.

j. Pick up mail.

www.RV4TheCause.org

Old 06-11-2010, 09:56 PM   #273
3 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tenafly , New Jersey
Towing Cheat Sheet
(Keep in Truck for Quick Reference)

1. Truck/TV.

a. VIN_______________________.
b. License Plate __________.
c. Tire - PSI 35.
d. Lug nut torque 150 ft. lbs. [manual p. 345].
e. Height 77.2" = 6' 5.2"
f. Gross weight 7,400 lbs.
g. GCWR (maximum car and trailer weight) 15,000 lbs. Actual 11,000 lbs.
h. Maximum towing weight 9,000 lbs. Actual 4,600 lbs.
i. Maximum tongue weight _____ without weight carrying hitch and ____ lbs. with weight distributing hitch. Actual _____ lbs.
j. 10-15% of total trailer weight should be on tongue.
k. Use lower gear to assist transmission cooling, avoid overheating brakes.

2. Trailer.
a. VIN ________________________.
b. License Plate __________.
c. Tire - PSI Goodyear ST 225/75 R15 - 65 PSI.
d. Wheel Lug nut torque
i. Check at start of every trip.
ii. Check 10, 25 and 50 mile markers after purchase or tire change.
iii. 110 ft. lbs.
e. Height 9'5" = 113".
f. Length 19'2".
g. Width 8' = 96".
h. GVWR = Gross weight 4,500 lbs. Actual 4,580 lbs. (full water, empty gray/black). With tongue on truck trailer weight is 3,880 (full water, empty gray/black).
i. GAWR (axle weight) 4,300 lbs.
j. Tongue weight 10-15% of total or 450-675 lbs. Actual 700 lbs.
k. UBW = UVW = unloaded vehicle weight 3,725 lbs.
l. NCC 775 lbs. CCC = cargo carrying capacity 140 lbs.

3. Emergency Numbers/Accounts.
a. Ford Roadside Assistance 800-241-3673.
b. Good Sam Club
i. Towing 800-586-7400.
ii. Technical support 800-445-4457.
iii. General account No. _______________.
iv. Platinum Road Service No. ____________.
v. Member ID No. ________________.
c. Sky med 800-475-9633.
d. EZ Pass.
i. Tag number _______________.
ii. Phone: 800-333-8655.

www.RV4TheCause.org

Old 06-11-2010, 09:58 PM   #274
Rivet Master

1972 Argosy 20
Middletown , New Jersey
Our 6 step checklist

1. level and unhook trailer, secure stabilizing jacks, hook up electric/water/sewer if applicable (if no electric, connect generator)
2. Extend awning
3. hoist pirate flag
4. deploy plastic pink flamingos
5. don loud Aloha shirts
6. Fire up the blender and make margaritas

Some people are like Slinkies. They're really good for nothing, but they still bring a smile to your face when you push them down a flight of stairs.

TAC - NJ-007

bobfowler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 09:11 PM   #275
3 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tenafly , New Jersey
Bob:

Seriously, let's weigh the options.

Option 1 is you could spend wonderful quality time with really long and detailed checklists.

Option 2 is you could be sitting in a comfortable chair, under your awning, nice music playing in the background, a breeze blowing through your hair, sipping a cool margarita.

I think it is pretty obvious what everyone would choose to be doing! If we ever hook up camping i'll loan you some extra copies of my checklists so you won't feel bad. And just to show you how considerate we are, we'll hold the margarita glasses while you review the checklists. Deal?

www.RV4TheCause.org

Old 06-12-2010, 09:18 PM   #276
3 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tenafly , New Jersey
OK, in case you really just want more, here's another checklist.

Consumables: Pre-Trip Checklist for RV
(check before departing)

Purpose: Almost everything we use in the RV "lives" in the RV other than perhaps a cell phone or laptop. Many of the items are permanent in the sense that they can be put into the RV at the beginning of the season and generally stay the season. Items that are stocked that are used need to be verified for each trip to ascertain whether they need to be replenished. The following list is comprised of items that can wear out, get used up, etc. and that should be checked prior to each trip. As with the other checklists we found the easiest way to organize these items was to do so by area of the trailer and truck. In this way a really quick walk through with the list in hand facilitates a quick and easy review. As with all checklists, whatever works for you is what should be done. As with all the prior checklists we posted given our absolute ignorance of anything RV merely assembling this list was a valuable learning experience. Anyone with any modicum of RV experience might have little need for this level of detail. Hope this helps.

Pantry:
Dry Foods Staples
Coffee, instant
Coffee, ground
Tea bags
Fiber supplement (when you hit 50 you'll understand)
Cereal, dry
Beans, dry
Nuts (walnuts, pecans)
Pam Spray
Cinnamon
Sugar, brown
Flour, whole wheat
Oats
Spices, other
Peanuts (in shells - cause they're too messy to eat at home but perfect when camping)
Vinegar, white (sanitize water tank; add to black tank)

Unplanned Meal Food (in case we forget to pack, have extra guests, etc. - simple quick stuff that won't spoil and doesn't take up much space "just in case")
Spaghetti (2 packs whole wheat)
Tomato sauce (1 can)
Tuna (2 foil bags)
Rice Pilaf (whole wheat, 1 box)

Drawer Under Dinette:
Pet Supplies
Dog food dry
Dog treats
Plastic bags
Wipes (for feet)
Flea collar

Dinette Overhead Cabinets:
Right Side
Quarters for laundry/showers
Pens, pencils
Paper
Envelopes
Stamps

Kitchen Under Sink:
Paper Towels
Coffee Filters
Garbage Bags
Soap, Dishwashing Liquid
Sponges/Scrub Pads
Aluminum Foil
Plastic zip lock bags
Gloves, rubber

Kitchen Overhead Cabinets:
Napkins
Paper plates
Silverware, plastic

Kitchen Under Oven:
Trays, disposable
Pans, disposable

Refrigerator:
Freezer
Ice Block pre-frozen
Pesto
Refrigerator Staples
Baking Soda
Refrigerator Food
Yogurt (Greek no fat)
Seltzer/Bottled Water
Spreads
Peanut Butter
Bread (low carb wraps)
Bread (low calorie sandwich)
Salad vegetables
Fruit (Apples, pears)
Milk, Skim
Meat vegetarian (Deli, hot dogs, sausage)
Egg beaters
Sauteed onions
Pot luck food: Snack; main course; other
Refrigerator Medicine
Medicine
Alcohol wipes for shots
A surprisingly large number of people with health issues have turned to RV'ing for the security, ease, comfort of easily being able to take along whatever you might need. Modify the list to meet your specific needs. Many of the food and other items on this list were selected because of the health requirements they meet).

Refrigerator Pet Food
Cottage cheese
Dog food

Meals
Frozen prepared meals for trip in aluminum tins
Confirm menus

Closet:
Shoe Orthotics (this for us is an item that doesn't "live" for the season in the trailer so we have it on the list so we don't forget it. Whatever personal items that you don't keep in the trailer full time might be added to this list.)
Wine

Cabinet Under Refrigerator:
Emergency Supplies
Flashlights (batteries, bulbs)
Butane lighter and refill (for lighting oven)
Matches
Insect repellent
Lawyer repellant
Ant traps
First Aid
Medicines
Band-aids
Eye drops
Tylenol
Advil
Antibiotic Ointment
Benadryl tablets and ointment
Tums (if you eat my cooking at a pot luck do so with confidence)

Bathroom Vanity Cabinet:
Toiletries
Tissues box
Sanitizer, hand (Purell)
Soap, liquid

Cleaning Supplies
Cleaner wipes
Furniture Polish wipes
Glass cleaner wipes
Laundry Detergent
Toilet Paper
Tissues/Kleenex
Holding tank chemicals
Towels
Towels, hand and washcloth (these aren't consumables but they get washed after each trip and are listed so we don't forget them).
Rags for cleaning

Bathroom Vanity Overhead Compartments:
Vitamins
Bath Soap
Shampoo
Shaving supplies
Soap, bar
Soap, Dr. Bonners (love the stuff. Can wash anything in it)
Deodorant
Perfume, Patti
Cotton balls
Mouthwash
Powder, talcum
Q-Tips
Feminine products
Makeup
Hair care
Lotion, hand
Tooth brushes, paste, floss
Sunscreen
Bathroom/Shower
Towels, clean
Toilet paper

Bedroom Overhead Storage
Books, recent

Outside Storage Compartment:
Insect spray (for around wheels, jacks)
Gloves, disposable for dumping
Hand Sanitizer
Citronella candles
Air dryer

Truck Passenger Area:
Glove Compartment
Flashlights, batteries working
Lights
Trailer EZ Pass
Change

Electronics
Camera, case charger
Laptop and charger
Cell phone and charger

Cooler, small for lunch
Ice block, small
Water bottle
Pretzels
Bars, protein
Sandwiches

Truck Trunk Area:
General
Rags
Wipes
Bleach
Trip Supplies
Water, gallons
Charcoal grill, disposable
Firewood
Tools and supplies
Batteries
Bulbs
Fuses
Oil
Tape
Other

www.RV4TheCause.org

Old 06-13-2010, 02:56 AM   #277
3 Rivet Member

1990 25' Excella
Currently Looking...
Glenburn , Maine
I need some of that "Lawyer Repellent" up there -- where might I acquire same?

wil

AIR 22828
TAC ME-3
Universal Address: 97XX5 QGG5Z
Longitude: -68.814136
Latitude: 44.894663
olddog299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2010, 08:54 PM   #278
3 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Tenafly , New Jersey
Old Dog.... Lawyer repellent is a very complex thing to make:

"Eye of newt, and toe of frog,
Wool of bat, and tongue of dog...."

Remember what said the character in Shakespeare's Henry VI said about lawyers: "The first thing we do is ....."

www.RV4TheCause.org

Old 06-15-2010, 12:01 PM   #279
3 Rivet Member

1990 25' Excella
Currently Looking...
Glenburn , Maine
Quote:
Originally Posted by pattimarty View Post
Old Dog.... Lawyer repellent is a very complex thing to make:

"Eye of newt, and toe of frog,
Wool of bat, and tongue of dog...."
Oh, I see, said the blind man, as he picked up his hammer and saw.

wil

AIR 22828
TAC ME-3
Universal Address: 97XX5 QGG5Z
Longitude: -68.814136
Latitude: 44.894663
olddog299 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-15-2010, 02:55 PM   #280
4 Rivet Member

1997 34' Limited
Joliet , Illinois
Amazing!

These checklists are amazingly precise! Thank you for your efforts and sharing!

..and I'll have a Margarita, too, please.
Lucy815 is offline   Reply With Quote