Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 06-07-2009, 08:39 AM   #241
2 Rivet Member

1984 31' Sovereign
1978 Argosy 24
Zavalla , Texas
As way of an introduction:

Hi, after rebuilding a number of used and sometimes abused sailboats the wife and I bought our first Airstream, a 1983 Sovereign 31. So, out of touring via the waterways and on to dry land. We are to pick it up Tuesday from the guy who is checking it out for us. So far, only brakes and lights needed work. It has not been on the road for a time, so a few short checkout trips first.

This is our second travel trailer. We bought a 1962 Mobile Scout 16 (canned ham) when Hurricane Ike came through and rebuilt most of her. Took a trip from Galveston to Big Bend National Park and had a great time. That convinced us this was to be a fun retirement adventure, so we left the Scout in Alabama with our son for when we visited him and went on the search for a bigger unit.

So, here we are.

Cheerz
Orlop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2009, 11:06 AM   #242
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Charleston , South Carolina
Thanks for the help

Brand new (old but new). I'm retiring from 40 years of teaching this coming May and am beginning to look for an AS as well as a tow vehicle. I haven't bought a car since the 90's and have never set foot in an Airstream. So I know no terminology for towing, purchasing, "streaming". But I know I'll be living on the road for a year hawking my books and cds, though really just to see the country. At 64 years old, I don't plan to get anything longer than 20' and a pickup truck.

Looking at Airstreams, I'm wondering whether the higher cost is really higher quality. Or are people buying a mystique? From online readings and pictures, I do like the Airstreams and they do seem to have a higher resale value. It's like my main guitar. It's a vintage Gibson which I bought in the 60s. Some people buy them now but as much for the "vintage Gibson" idea as for the sound. I'm not into "brands" and "ideas" and image. But I do like the pictures of the interiors of Airstreams.

Since we don't have a dealer in Charleston, SC, I know I should go see some, feel a more solid floor under me or see the smoother joints, etc. Do you suggest I go to a rally or is there a show where I can see Airstreams for sale that will help me compare? Thanks
poems&songs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-28-2009, 08:12 PM   #243

1992 34' Excella
1992 35' Airstream 350
los angeles , USA
Big Silver Wally's 8391

Looking forward to meeting a lot of nice folks. Jim and I have been Earthstreamin since 2000. We bought our 1992 350 SE Classic MH and have traveled the USA and Canada in tribute to our two children.
We lost our son Andy in a surfing accident in 1989 at age 18. He was a finalist surfing at Pipeline sposored by O'Neil. A year later we lost our five year old to a non-hereditary form of cancer called Wilm's tumor. Her name was Colette and we created the largest non-profit for children's health in America in her honor. www.healthychild.org is where you can read OUR STORY. We have lived, loved, and healed our broken hearts for nearly 10 years while cruising across ths great country of ours. Every place we have visited we rejoice knowing that Andy and Colette are with us in spirit.
In 2005 we drove the Alcan Highway, and the Top of the World Highway and spent three life changing months in Alaska. Currently, I am writing a memoir about our experiences. It is a healing journey, one that words alone can't ever describe. I thank God for the freedom we have, the beauty we discover, and the JOY we find everytime we open our Big Silver door.
I look forward to meeting many of you and hope someday we can plan an INTERNATIONAL CARAVAN for CHILDRENS HEALTH. We would love that.

Thank You,
Nancy Chuda
Co-founder of Healthy Child Healthy World
nancy chuda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2009, 09:06 PM   #244
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Napanee , Ontario
newbie perspective

One can find private sales of Airstreams at quite a reasonable price. Even though we purchased our 1994 from a dealer we have no regrets. We initially ppulled the 30' with our Sienna 6 cylinder van for there years. We went from the Canadian East coast to the Rockies with no problems other that our learning curve for camping. Call Andy Thompson at CAN AM RV in Lambeth Ontario. He is the dealership owner who we deal with. We have found him to be more than honest; a source for articles and free advice both by phone and email. In 09 March on Andy's lead we purchased a Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo ( a diesel).
An Airstream is low and doesn't push as much air as a larger box trailer. It is meant for travelling we found out. They are very durable with a life expectancy of 50 years-------as many on this site will attest.
Regards
Brian

Quote:
Originally Posted by poems&songs View Post
Brand new (old but new). I'm retiring from 40 years of teaching this coming May and am beginning to look for an AS as well as a tow vehicle. I haven't bought a car since the 90's and have never set foot in an Airstream. So I know no terminology for towing, purchasing, "streaming". But I know I'll be living on the road for a year hawking my books and cds, though really just to see the country. At 64 years old, I don't plan to get anything longer than 20' and a pickup truck.

Looking at Airstreams, I'm wondering whether the higher cost is really higher quality. Or are people buying a mystique? From online readings and pictures, I do like the Airstreams and they do seem to have a higher resale value. It's like my main guitar. It's a vintage Gibson which I bought in the 60s. Some people buy them now but as much for the "vintage Gibson" idea as for the sound. I'm not into "brands" and "ideas" and image. But I do like the pictures of the interiors of Airstreams.

Since we don't have a dealer in Charleston, SC, I know I should go see some, feel a more solid floor under me or see the smoother joints, etc. Do you suggest I go to a rally or is there a show where I can see Airstreams for sale that will help me compare? Thanks
Brian Hobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-06-2009, 03:56 PM   #245

Palm Bay , Florida
Thumbs up I have a dream

Hi,
I just woke up and realized I am completely without responsibilites except for my faithful labs and can work anywhere. My plan is to sell my houses and store what I think I really want and buy a 20' Flying Cloud and pull it with a bio-diesel fueled SUV.
My questions are:
Anyone out there a single woman who has lived as an Airstream gypsy for a while?
Are there different type of caravans for different interests, ie music, art, food, sports. Is it a flexable, extended family type vibe?
How well does the solar power work on the Flying Cloud, I am trying to travel green.
Does anyone else use bio-diesel in their hauling rig?
Would my dream house on wheels be difficult to maintain?
This would be a great way to combine a wonderful new life and my career all at once. I am well traveled and only 54 so new places and faces don't scare me.
Thank ya'll, hope you can help me out with this. I was a girl scout...I like to be prepared!
Constance
connietoons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 06:56 AM   #246
1 Rivet Member

aspen , Colorado
Hey Constance,
I'm new here as well. I can't answer about how it is living as a gypsy, but I love the bio diesel idea. I just bought my first trailer and I'm excited. (a '64 Silverstreak 19') All the guys tell me that unless you're pulling with a yukon (or equivalent) most suv's are too small. I'm eventually going for a diesel truck that I hope to convert as well.
Good luck!
Christie
crispy13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 08:54 AM   #247
2 Rivet Member

2008 20' Safari SE
Thumb Area , Michigan
Constance
I have a 20 foot Safari SE which is essentially the same as the Flying Cloud. My truck has a tow rating of 7500 pounds, it does a great job, I would not tow with less.
I have a factory installed solar package which usually meets my needs, have camped for up to three weeks without needing to use the generator. That said I do not use high electrical demand appliances like a microwave or television. Also I have converted half of the interior incandescent lights to low wattage LED.
Maintenance has mainly been cleaning, lubricating, and an occasional tightening of nuts and screws.
Biggest problem you may ever face is changing a flat on the single axle trailer. I have done it once, not fun, needed lumber to elevate the trailer enough to get the hydraulic jack under the frame rail. If you ever have the need and have cell phone service Road Service would be better.

20' 2008 Safari SE, Dill TPMS Silver Dog House
2007 GMC 1/2 ton Sierra ARE Cap
AIR # 10494
reddogfox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2009, 03:48 PM   #248
1 Rivet Member

Falmouth , Cornwall
Hi, I,m not only new to this forum, I'm new to Airsteams. I live in the U.K. but am coming across the pond in mid-August for a month with the intention of finding an airsteam to take home. I'll be based near Lynchburg in Central Virginia and intend trawling e-bay and this site for possibles. I'm horrified by the price of hire cars in the U.S. now so will buy a pick up on arrival with a view to shipping the van and maybe the pick up out of New york. Coming from the UK I'm only just coming to terms with the size of the USA.
Regards Alec
a-mul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2009, 06:10 PM   #249

1965 17' Caravel
pottersville , New York
upstate new yorker here

Hi folks,first off, what wonderful community and great resource this site is. I bought my first rv this summer, a 1965 caravel, in somewhat less than great shape. But with alot of patience and liberal use of the search function on this and other sites, things are starting to come together.It'll be not much more than a metal tent for our first trip in sept to maine, but i am really lokking forward to it. Anyway, just wanted to say hi and thanks to all the thoughtful people here for shareing info with noobs like me.
adkcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2009, 06:29 PM   #250

Currently Looking...
Aquebogue , New York
Hi, I'm looking for a similar Airstream and was wondering if you received any information? Im talking to as many owners as I can and listening to their pros and cons.
It seems people have their particular model years that they enjoy. I'm looking at a
96 Excella , wide body and just found out they're illegal to tow in NY where I live. Most states allow the 8"6"" but several, NY, Arizona only allow up to 8'. I'm surprised at all the discussion of leaks in the expensive and popular Airstreams. Ted
Freestar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 04:56 PM   #251

Currently Looking...
Warrensburg , New York
Hello All,
Dont own an Airstream yet but darn it all I will. Almost had one for free untill the people thought it would better be a target for shooting pumpkins at it with an air cannon. Very sad. It was in some serious need of repair so I wasn't too sad about it, But...Free? Guess I cant win em all. Anyhow, I am in the Adirondacks in NY. Family of 4 plus 1 dog and 1 parrot. The hermit crabs stay home on our ventures. I'd love to tow a vintage AS behind my vintage Chevy. Okay enough about me. See ya else where. Limoridr
limoridr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2009, 05:09 PM   #252
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Welcome Limoridr! Sorry about missing out on a free Airstream - that's quite a bummer but who knows how much more you would have had to put into it to make it usable. Good luck with your search. What kind of vintage Chevy do you have?
Old 11-05-2009, 04:42 PM   #253

1965 17' Caravel
pottersville , New York
haha limoridr, sounds like warrensburg, locals shooting pumpkins outta big guns. Funny, i bought my trailer from a guy in Warrensburg.
adkcamper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2010, 09:18 PM   #254

Spokane , Washington
Thanks, I'm new to the forum. I'm looking to make a decision on either a new 2010 sport 22 or a new 2009 19. Any advise?
Gary P is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2010, 06:36 AM   #255
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Napanee , Ontario
Hi Gary, even two people over time appreciate extra space.
Regards
Brian
Brian Hobin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2010, 06:26 PM   #256

California , California
At last I've found this thread.

I can't seem to find this a while ago.
And I have posted my intro in the wrong thread.
Once again I am April.
subzero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 07:06 AM   #257
1 Rivet Member

Fontana , Wisconsin
HELP! Looking at Airstreams! I know nothing about them. Saw a 1976 Land Yacht for 4000.00. One owner in the desert. Need to know all the pros & cons. Also how are these alluminum trailers in the desert? Can solar panels be added ? How about a compost toilet. This will be in a off the grid area. Need info on how to run the A/C too (solar) Thanks for any and all info you can give me! GK.
GKIRON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2010, 06:13 PM   #258
1 Rivet Member

2008 27' Safari FB SE
Mariposa , California
Hi, Just joined tonight. We have a 27' Front Bedroom and we pull with a Suburban. This is our 2nd Airstream. My question is What is the best way to and place to put a ham multi-band antenna on these things??? Any other Hams out there?

KF6WKU
Mariposa Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2010, 10:22 PM   #259
2 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 20
Peralta , New Mexico
Quote:
Originally Posted by driftwood View Post
This just HAS to be the thread to put THIS!
This is too cool, thanks
DD.KARAOKE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2010, 06:17 AM   #260
1 Rivet Member

Fontana , Wisconsin
^Thanks its nice to have space. GK.
GKIRON is offline   Reply With Quote