Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-03-2006, 04:32 PM   #81
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Only two more posts...

Sid-

Welcome, and glad you're working the search tab... First rivet comes at 5 posts...

My dad was part of team that invented tig welding just ahead of WW2 while he was working with Northrop and North American Aviation teams for Alcoa..

Many of members are replacing Univolts with Intellipower or other brands of power supplies that are quieter, more reliable and won't boil batteries dry. Search for Univolt or power supply or intellipower or charger.

There is a ready source of new material for rolling doors, which you can also search for.. New material with new fabric backing might be easier than replacing entire cabinets... The stuff is called Tambour (or Tambor or Tamboor), and you can search for it here or look on internet for sources. Inland RV has some in stock in a few colors, I believe...

Can't help you with black water tank...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2006, 07:13 PM   #82
1 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Farmington , Washington
i have a 72 overlander need some help how to polish the shell wiring diagrams how to drain for winter ect
pfaff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2006, 09:55 AM   #83
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by pfaff
i have a 72 overlander need some help how to polish the shell wiring diagrams how to drain for winter ect
Your best bet is to use the search function in the blue menu bar.

Visit my Camping Blog!
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 01:54 PM   #84

1968 26' Overlander
Palm Springs , California
Send a message via AIM to AndieMack
Hi! After lusting, drooling and slamming on the brakes and craning my neck whenever I saw an Airstream or Argosy, I bought one! I got the bill of sales last night on a 1968 Overlander and I am totally thrilled.

The only buyer's remorse I have had is a small panic this morning when I remembered that I really DO have to find a place to put it and find someone to tow it there.

Cart before horse syndrome? I don't really think so. I needed something to lift my spirits and actually fulfilling one of my life's DREAMS is definitely uplifting!!

I look forward to learning what I need to know, which is just about everything.

Best,
Andie
AndieMack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-08-2006, 02:27 PM   #85
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Search and Ye shall find...

Andie-

Welcome and congrats... As you get familiar with benefits of registering here, the ability to use "Search" tab which now appears in blue bar at top is huge...

There are threads on finding transport and towing services, storage and parking options, as well as thousands of tips on repairs, restorations and maintenance, as well as ideas for using and enjoying your trailer...

Keep the faith, as the journey has begun..

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Old 09-09-2006, 12:33 AM   #86
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Laguna Beach , California
Cool Newbie 'Artist' from Laguna Beach

Hi from Laguna Beach, I bought a 2004 Bambi 19' CCD and am looking forward to my first trip out. I chose a newer model since I'm not a real fix it type and I also liked the fact that it has the larger holding tanks. I'm not sure where to go for the first trip since I really am 'green' to the whole camping thing, hauling etc.
If there is anyone in the SoCal area who might buddy with me on a day trip or something and be willing to answer some really dumb questions?
I'm planning on taking this little Bambi boondocking out in the wilds where I can paint the gorgeous scenery! I'm also interested in anyone who can give any suggestions on how to 'boondock'.....see? I told ya I was green.......!!
Babeebloos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-09-2006, 01:07 AM   #87
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
My traveling Art Studio!

ooops...I tried to add this photo too late, but here she is!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Bambi1.jpg
Views:	202
Size:	27.1 KB
ID:	25743  
Old 09-09-2006, 10:40 AM   #88
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Hi Babeebloos - welcome to the forums and congrats on your pretty new-to-you Bambi! Very cool that you'll be using it as a mobile art studio. For boondocking tips, check out the search feature at the top of the page - enter your key words and read away. Good luck and happy travels.
Old 09-12-2006, 03:53 PM   #89
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Practice making lists...

Babeebloos-

Welcome and congrats, and we're looking forward to meeting at Nor-Cal rally in October... Notwithstanding some anxiety, boondocking is really easy, and some folks do it without thinking by just pulling into rest area or Wal-Mart parking lot or other informal stopping point...

Assuming you have mastered the driving part (slow and patient and let the crazy people on I-5 or 101 go by.. Don't tailgaite, and when some #*&! swerves in front of you just smile and back away a little further..), the challenge to boondocking is to avoid the challenges that full hookups eliminate: Water, waste water, propane and electricity....

For power, make sure the batteries are charged, and have a plan if they run out.. Generator? Flashlights? Solar? Ask neighbor to use generator? Move to place you can plug in? Recognize that refrigerator and heat and hot water will all stop when electricity is gone.. Think about real long skinny extension cord, for emergency use to recharge battery. (Not enough to run A/C, etc)

Fresh Water? Decide whether to tow full of water, or plan to fill tanks when you get to camping site. Ask ranger or others where you can fill up with water. Carry a long hose and maybe a second one...

Waster water? Make hard decisions about environment and paper plates etc.. Decide how you'll fill gray water tank, and stick to plan. If showers critical, take good short ones, shutting water nearly off whilst soaping. Don't run water long time to brush teeth or prep to wash dishes. Cook things that don't generate dirty pots and pans.. Gray water tank will be the first to fill and create a potential issue...

Propane: Tanks should be full, or have a plan to fill. Try to avoid furnace use, since it consumes a lot. Use comforter or fleece. Save gas for water heater (see showers above..) and refrigerator..

After this list, it's a matter of food and jug of water for inside, and entertainment, which could include painting or reading or "resting"... A checklist of required food and beverage items to pack makes sure you don't run out of wine or paper towels or ice... Might also be good to keep older jacket and fleece and bathing suit etc in closet just in case...

John McG

Old 09-16-2006, 06:39 PM   #90
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Wondering about rivets...

Earlier in this thread someone mentioned that you get your first rivet at 5 posts. I'm somewhere around 35 and I don't see any under my name. Is it only invisible to me or is it not there? Is it based on postsmade, or threads started?
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 09:21 PM   #91
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Hey Fyrzowt, when you edited the "custom user title" under "edit profile" under "user cp" (above on the blue menu line) you put in "Fyrzowt". Remove that and your rivets will show up.

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 10:19 PM   #92
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Thanks Jim,

Rookie move I guess...
Old 09-16-2006, 10:25 PM   #93
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Another way to get rivets is to wax my trailer.... honest

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2006, 10:28 PM   #94
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
Another way to get rivets is to wax my trailer.... honest
I would love to see Washington State again, but have my own trailer to shine!
Old 09-18-2006, 01:30 AM   #95
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condoluminum
Babeebloos-

Welcome and congrats, and we're looking forward to meeting at Nor-Cal rally in October... Notwithstanding some anxiety, boondocking is really easy, and some folks do it without thinking by just pulling into rest area or Wal-Mart parking lot or other informal stopping point...

Assuming you have mastered the driving part (slow and patient and let the crazy people on I-5 or 101 go by.. Don't tailgaite, and when some #*&! swerves in front of you just smile and back away a little further..), the challenge to boondocking is to avoid the challenges that full hookups eliminate: Water, waste water, propane and electricity....

For power, make sure the batteries are charged, and have a plan if they run out.. Generator? Flashlights? Solar? Ask neighbor to use generator? Move to place you can plug in? Recognize that refrigerator and heat and hot water will all stop when electricity is gone.. Think about real long skinny extension cord, for emergency use to recharge battery. (Not enough to run A/C, etc)

Fresh Water? Decide whether to tow full of water, or plan to fill tanks when you get to camping site. Ask ranger or others where you can fill up with water. Carry a long hose and maybe a second one...

Waster water? Make hard decisions about environment and paper plates etc.. Decide how you'll fill gray water tank, and stick to plan. If showers critical, take good short ones, shutting water nearly off whilst soaping. Don't run water long time to brush teeth or prep to wash dishes. Cook things that don't generate dirty pots and pans.. Gray water tank will be the first to fill and create a potential issue...

Propane: Tanks should be full, or have a plan to fill. Try to avoid furnace use, since it consumes a lot. Use comforter or fleece. Save gas for water heater (see showers above..) and refrigerator..

After this list, it's a matter of food and jug of water for inside, and entertainment, which could include painting or reading or "resting"... A checklist of required food and beverage items to pack makes sure you don't run out of wine or paper towels or ice... Might also be good to keep older jacket and fleece and bathing suit etc in closet just in case...

John McG
Thanks John for these 'GREAT TIPS'...this is exactly what I'm looking for!
I'll try finding some more...
Debra

https://www.debraschottfineart.blogspot.com
Old 09-18-2006, 02:23 AM   #96
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
Babee, if I lived anywhere near you I'd gladly buddy-camp so we could learn together. However (I'm assuming you're a woman), there is a REALLY cool group called Sisters on the Fly that would welcome you. A lot of them have singlehandedly restored their trailers & they are incredibly adventurous. Also, check out this thread, which mentions the Sisters: http://www.airforums.com/forum...ht=sisters+fly
Old 09-25-2006, 05:37 PM   #97
1 Rivet Member

2006 22' Interstate
Cave Creek , Arizona
New Interstate member

Hi Gang,

We purchased an Interstate rear sleeper (Mid-Bath) model about six months ago and have been using these forums to resolve issues every since. Our first trip was to Upscale Automotive in Oregon to have Koni shocks, a heavy duty sway bar and helper springs installed. Thanks for that tip, it made all the difference in the world! They also installed a tuning module and high flow air filter. Our rig weighs in at around 8350# and we are able to get between 21 and 25mpg.

We've put about 12,000 on in two trips and have the bugs pretty much worked out. Needless to say it is used as a "Touring Coach." Most of our stops are dry camping in National Forests, BLM lands and yes, even truck stops.

AZtraveler
AZtraveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 08:35 PM   #98
Rivet Master

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Santa Cruz , California
Love the forums!

We have been amazed and enlightened by all the terrific information we've been able to get from the various A/S forums. It seems like we're on the way to joining a very helpful, friendly and adventursome group! We've just ordered a 2007 Safari 25' SE fb and will now wait restlessly for its arrival in Dec.
We have lots of questions--many answered generously in the forums--but haven't come accross any addressing one of our concerns:
We really don't want to be camping in a parking lot atmosphere, regardless of the amenities. We cruised a couple of AAA recommended sites in our central coastal CA area this weekend and we were really disappointed. They were near much scenic beauty but you couldn't see a thing from the campgrounds. Others that were highly rated not only weren't too appealing but actually very claustraphobic. Are we being unrealistic? Are there resources out there that will direct us to the kinds of sites (views, space, quiet) that we're getting our Airstream for?
Just re-read this and it sounds so whiny and picky but we're really not! Help!
Our kids are grown (although we'll welcome them as visitors--especially if we're near good surf spots...) and we'll be travelling with our 3 small dogs.
So we've been very encouraged by the pet forums!
Can't wait to get out there and see the country and fellow travellers.
janetb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2006, 10:55 PM   #99
Rivet Master

1963 19' Globetrotter
Boondocking is for You!

First I'd like to Welcome you here, I'm a Newbie too. I'm in the process of getting my 19' Bambi ready for my first RAlly October 20 to 22 in Lake San Antonio with a growing number of Streamers...I think the number is like 39 or so...give or take 10??? Anyway, if you are in the area you might like to drop in and see 'Wuz Up?' Lot's of fun being planned, check the threads on the NorCal Rally. I know that a few members are coming without their rigs because they're being refurbished, and they are staying in some cabins on site at the Lake . I know we'd all love to meet YOU!
Debs

https://www.debraschottfineart.blogspot.com
Old 09-26-2006, 06:48 AM   #100
DEO
3 Rivet Member

2005 25' Safari
West of Boston , Massachusetts
Welcome to the forums ! We usally check on the Woodalls website, they are pretty good.. I then follow links to the individual campgrounds websites.... We also carry a copy of the Woodalls guide with us when traveling (we often travel without reservations) and start making phone calls about an hour or two when I get tired of driving.... If we are looking to stay at a specific campground I would also post here on the forum to see if anyone else has been to the campground... I think I have a link to a campground review site..Here it is http://www.campgroundreviews.com/
DEO is offline   Reply With Quote