Old 10-17-2017, 03:55 PM   #505
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Admittedly one of the grossest jokes I ever learned as a Boy Scout....

2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2017, 04:09 PM   #506
2 Rivet Member

2005 34' Classic
tucson , Arizona
Howdy neighbor! Welcome to the AS family. I'm in OroValley too, let me now if I can be of help.

dvg

dvgofaz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2017, 05:33 PM   #507
1 Rivet Member

2005 28' Classic
Nicholasville , Kentucky
Kentucky newbies

Hello to all fellow Airstreamers, first post and a thank you to all that have made this forum so useful. Started looking for our first AS this spring, found it in NH 2005 28’ Classic. The information here helped me narrow my search to this model with twins and no dinette, hard one to locate. This unit was first in Michigan sold in Kansas to the 2nd owners that intended to retire, but couldn’t and stopped using her. So we are the 3rd keepers of this unit.

After purchasing this, we had family emergencies that slowed down this summer of camping. However we stopped into the KY Horse park rally and talked with several owners, first night in the camper. Second trip out was to Hocking Hills Ohio for a weekend with a brother.

Planning my upgrades, this Classic had been garage kept, inside is as clean as a new one, outside needs all of the maintenance brought up today’s standards. I’m lucky enough to have a spot inside for the work over this winter. First upgrade was a 17 F-250 crew 6.5 bed diesel, she’s a Airstream Edition, see photo.

Kenny & Karen
KYShelby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-31-2017, 06:05 AM   #508
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
@Kentucky newbies

Sorry I could not see your photo. FYI, one way to post a photo is to use the BBCode, available from many photo posting sites.... like Flickr. So, here is one to take you to Flickr.
Welch_Pup_10.27.2017_TFL-3 by Tommie Lauer, on Flickr

And, welcome to the Airstream family!
AIR #31871 K4MTL

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-22-2017, 05:17 AM   #509

2017 Basecamp
SAINT PETERSBURG , FL
Hello! We are brand new Airstream (Basecamp 2017) owners and we are looking forward to lots of adventures around the country!

Thank you all for the great advice and tips I have already found here; I'm certain we will need lots more advice until we get the hang of it and can give advice ourselves!
merseyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 09:25 AM   #510
2 Rivet Member

2015 25' Flying Cloud
2018 33' Classic
Pullman , Washington
Good morning! We are Kirk & Noel from Eastern Washington. We currently have a 25’ Flying Cloud and recently ordered a 33’ Classic which will arrive in March or April. We recently upgraded our TV from a Toyota Tundra to a Ford F-250 Diesel so that we can easily tow the heavier Classic. We enjoy camping at national parks and have hit Glacier, Rocky Mountain, and Grand Canyon over the last few summers. This year we are headed to Yosemite.

One area of interest to me would be recipes for different camping meals that are particularly suited to the airstream convection/microwave oven. I often have to adjust temperatures and cooking times in our current Airstream & would love to see what other Airstreamers like to fix when they are camping.

We also have not taken the step to boondock anywhere but tend to stay in campgrounds with hook-ups.

Happy Camping!
WA_Airstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2017, 01:54 PM   #511
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by WA_Airstream View Post
-- snip --We also have not taken the step to boondock anywhere -- snip --!
Check out the Balloon Fiesta. It's an opportunity to dry camp with training wheels. You can pay for water refill and a pump out if necessary. An inexpensive quiet generator or a solar panel suitcase keeps the battery bank charged. And those balloons are worth the trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3827.jpg
Views:	77
Size:	117.5 KB
ID:	301384   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3463.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	126.1 KB
ID:	301385  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3465.jpg
Views:	81
Size:	149.4 KB
ID:	301387   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_3968.jpg
Views:	78
Size:	185.1 KB
ID:	301388  

PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2018, 10:11 PM   #512

2018 19' Flying Cloud
West Linn , Oregon
PNW Newbies- First 19' Flying Cloud Adventures...

Hello AirForum,

A confessions. My wife and I are both architects. I always wanted a "camper" and my wife declined. But as she became interested in photography, her desires changed.

Now- to my surprise, she has agreed we needed a trailer. Being Architects, there was never any doubt- it had to be an Airstream! So we went to our local dealer and very quickly resolved ourselves to the 19' 2018 Flying Cloud. Perfect for two- a little tight for three or more.

We live in Portland, Oregon and towed our new baby home December 6, 2017. So far, we have two trips under our belt, and are still testing out systems. So far so good. A failed tire stem at the beginning of our first trip, and one burner we cannot start- but otherwise, everything is a go so far.

Biggest news I want to report for other peoples benefit- A 2002/3 Jeep Liberty with 5,000# towing capacity mates up very nicely with a 19' single axle Airstream. I bought my rig in 2003 to tow my driftboat- and I am very happy with performance towing my Airstream. (And since I do not need a new rig- I can spend a little money upgrading my current rig. Yay!!!)

My two questions to the forum at this point are:
A) We want to travel Vancouver Island, my wife for photography,
and me for Steelhead. We are also interested in the coastal architecture and art of the first peoples. Any suggestions (especially fishing) are much appreciated?
B) Also, we are not winterizing our first year. (Sorry, this baby needs to sit on the driveway for a bit in between winter trips before we consider stowing her.) So far we are maintaining heat with propane- but we find ourselves not understanding our Dometic "Heat Pump" Air conditioner. We have a dedicated 120V circuit (20 Amp circuit breaker) but have heard story's about requiring 30 amp or 50 amp circuits to run the "Air Conditioner." Oddly, we did not get any manuals with our Dometic head pump. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Warmest regards this cold season,
KennyWayne (my moms name for me- and one I have finally accepted after 60 years... )
KennyWayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 12:08 AM   #513
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
KW - interesting for a towing moniker - well done to your mom.

Suggest you purchase an air compressor and learn how to purge the water from your coach. A few gallons of antifreeze and empty tanks/lines make it safe to park in cold weather. Being familiar with your coach is a very good thing too.

As you can see below, lots of threads on winterizing. Use the blue search box at top of page to find just the info you need/want. Caution - do not over pressure lines. Good luck with your new coach. Hope to meet you down the road. Pat

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f459...eam-70171.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f516...ze-141474.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f458...ng-141032.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f458...ze-172846.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f458...ng-174087.html
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 08:56 PM   #514
1 Rivet Member

2018 28' Tommy Bahama
san pedro , CA
I am laughing a bit as I read your questions.....particularly the one about the Domet

A confessions. My wife and I are both architects. I always wanted a "camper" and my wife declined. But as she became interested in photography, her desires changed.

Now- to my surprise, she has agreed we needed a trailer. Being Architects, there was never any doubt- it had to be an Airstream! So we went to our local dealer and very quickly resolved ourselves to the 19' 2018 Flying Cloud. Perfect for two- a little tight for three or more.

We live in Portland, Oregon and towed our new baby home December 6, 2017. So far, we have two trips under our belt, and are still testing out systems. So far so good. A failed tire stem at the beginning of our first trip, and one burner we cannot start- but otherwise, everything is a go so far.

Biggest news I want to report for other peoples benefit- A 2002/3 Jeep Liberty with 5,000# towing capacity mates up very nicely with a 19' single axle Airstream. I bought my rig in 2003 to tow my driftboat- and I am very happy with performance towing my Airstream. (And since I do not need a new rig- I can spend a little money upgrading my current rig. Yay!!!)

My two questions to the forum at this point are:
A) We want to travel Vancouver Island, my wife for photography,
and me for Steelhead. We are also interested in the coastal architecture and art of the first peoples. Any suggestions (especially fishing) are much appreciated?
B) Also, we are not winterizing our first year. (Sorry, this baby needs to sit on the driveway for a bit in between winter trips before we consider stowing her.) So far we are maintaining heat with propane- but we find ourselves not understanding our Dometic "Heat Pump" Air conditioner. We have a dedicated 120V circuit (20 Amp circuit breaker) but have heard story's about requiring 30 amp or 50 amp circuits to run the "Air Conditioner." Oddly, we did not get any manuals with our Dometic head pump. Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

Warmest regards this cold season,
KennyWayne (my moms name for me- and one I have finally accepted after 60 years... )[/QUOTE]
Airdog9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2018, 09:09 PM   #515
1 Rivet Member

2018 28' Tommy Bahama
san pedro , CA
Sorry too short...laughing cause u must have gotten the same orientation we did! After a year and a few trips we finally figured out the Dometic.....here is what we know about it: you will need a 30 amp to run the unit for AC or the heat pump. The heat pump function will provide heat when it is not too cold AND you have the power. If it is cold or really cold, use the furnace setting which is primarily propane-.we do a lot of dry camping and found the furnace works great. Can’t help with fish but would love to join you haha
Airdog9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 07:15 PM   #516

2018 19' Flying Cloud
West Linn , Oregon
Hi All,
A quick update. I may have spoken too soon about my Jeep Liberty...
I wrote: "Biggest news I want to report for other peoples benefit- A 2002/3 Jeep Liberty with 5,000# towing capacity mates up very nicely with a 19' single axle Airstream. I bought my rig in 2003 to tow my driftboat- and I am very happy with performance towing my Airstream. (And since I do not need a new rig- I can spend a little money upgrading my current rig. Yay!!!)"
Digging around today I went to a respected 4WD auto shop in Oregon City (L&C Trucks) to start putting together a package to upgrade my Jeep Liberty for long distance towing in more remote areas. The good news is they were worried about my transmission and sent me to another local business to talk to Larry the owner of Morton transmission. They said he know more about transmissions than god and he would take the time to talk to me. They were right- he rattled off the transmission (a 42RLE,) asked me what weight I was towing (#4500 max against vehicle rated capacity of #5000)- and then told me I was throwing my money down a hole. He said they could do a few things to the transmission to help- but told me it was not a wise idea.

My conclusion is that I can make good use of the Jeep for local trips with light weight- but that I better plan on a new tow vehicle before I start off on any great adventures over the continental divide.

No questions per se (although always welcome to other thoughts)- I just wanted to upgrade the record and say Thanks all.
Old 01-08-2018, 07:48 PM   #517
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
KennyWayne,
First off, I also agree with your mom

Koko Taylor with Kenny Wayne Shepherd

Secondly, we had a Bambi (22 also with 4500# weight) and now a 25. We bought a Toyota Tundra when we knew we wanted to get a trailer. (FWIW, we got the model that has the rear back window that fully rolls down. My favorite feature.)

If you get a different vehicle, I suggest that you take the time to "specify" like you and your wife were managing a work project.

First all of the functionality needed:Capacity-- consider all of the items that you want and need to bring on various trips.

With a smaller trailer like a Bambi, for long trips food management becomes more important since the refrigerator is on the smaller side. So you will likely want room for a food cooler and a drinks cooler both. Also it would seem possibly a live bait cooler, and a fresh catch cooler.
Consider what things will not fit easily in the trailer when you are traveling, and then make sure you get enough vehicle capacity to make loading and packing easy. If you have pets make sure that there is room for them in the cabin without heavy items shifting around and getting in their way.

Trucks are nice in that you can load up the bed pretty easily and keep the cab fairly empty for passengers.

Payload--read up by using the search function until you understand what it is and why it matters.

Future needs--many users decide after a couple of years that they like Airstreaming more than expected, and that a different rig might be a better fit long-term for their needs. Having the ability to trade up into a bigger rig without getting a different vehicle might be a bonus.

Up and down. Stop and start. Cool and smooth. Physics doesn't care what's in the brochure. Physics rules. A bigger transmission engineered for towing, larger braking system, larger wheels/tires, and engine power to get you out of trouble add to safety when towing. Getting a vehicle with these features also make it easier on you, because you are towing in the sweet spot of the vehicle's performance.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2018, 10:37 PM   #518

2018 19' Flying Cloud
West Linn , Oregon
Thank you kindly- that is great advice- all of it. I especially like your comment about the sweet spot of performance (and the potential of upgrading) I get physics (but am mystified by electricity!)

Also, listening to link now. Ironically I went to my first blues concert just a couple of weeks ago. Really good- each song felt like something I understood, even though I had never heard it before. Thank you.