Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-27-2022, 11:37 AM   #561
1 Rivet Member

2019 30' Flying Cloud
Snohomish , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by switz View Post
KPRyan:

There are members that can help you inspect this trailer. They are listed on this web site.

You did not mention your tow vehicle. The literature tongue weight is 903 pounds. That is before a weight distribution hitch and one could easily be closer to 1,200 pounds tongue weight. The family of 7 will be an ever increasing number.

I would suggest looking at the various one ton 12 passenger rated vans that have at least a 9,000 pound tow rating. Unless you plan to tow the trailer and drive an additional vehicle for people since you stated you were moving.

There are many threads here on appropriate tow vehicles that you can review to get ideas. There are two camps of thought. One says live with the actual load numbers on the door jamb of the tow vehicle and other says get creative with the numbers.

Wish you well in doing your research. This will be a memorable trip in the family's life.
Hi switz, thanks for the kind note! We have a 2012 Chevy Express 6.0L 2500. So the theoretical towing cap is 9800. Am definitely concerned with having enough excess headroom so we are being concious with weight. Thankfully our kids are small and dont weigh much (yet).

I wish I had known about local airstreamers willing to help inspect. I'm still learning the forum interface. Where do I go to find those local folks?
KPRyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-28-2022, 07:31 AM   #562
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
From a prior Air Forums post:

As Larry posted in another thread:

"Go to members search, advanced search and put the location of the trailer and check the trailer inspector box. Members here have volunteered to be inspectors if they feel qualified.
Larry"

Here's a linked shortcut for you:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/members/list/

When you get to that page, the "Search Members" dropdown is on the 3rd blue bar to the right of "Airstream Forums: Members List."

When you click on the dropdown "Advanced Search" is just below the fill-in box.

Here's a link to a short thread with lots of good info relevant to your inquiry:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f368...ml#post1761373

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-14-2022, 06:58 PM   #563

2018 27' International
Delta , British Columbia
Maybe you can help me navigate. I’m just looking for information on where I can find sheets for my back beds. The table and couch are very specific sizes not found in regular household beds.
Done is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2022, 08:15 AM   #564
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Here is the link to the Airstream sheets by bed size. We have the 600 thread count sheets in both Airstream and love them.

https://airstreamsupplycompany.com/p...d-count-sheets

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 05:39 PM   #565
Foy

Middleburg , Florida
Hey, I’m new to the air forums and I have an airstream that I’ve been working on and I wasn’t planning on selling but my situation has changed and now I need to sell it and I was wondering where could I post some pictures of it and try to find out what it’s worth?
Foy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-28-2022, 05:56 PM   #566
4 Rivet Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Foy View Post
Hey, I’m new to the air forums and I have an airstream that I’ve been working on and I wasn’t planning on selling but my situation has changed and now I need to sell it and I was wondering where could I post some pictures of it and try to find out what it’s worth?
First, welcome! Second, I'm sure you'll have better luck and responses in a different subforum, one that deals with your year and model AS. Pictures always help as well.

Best of luck!
propchef is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-30-2022, 09:17 AM   #567

AUSTIN , Texas
Smile Airstream Purchased - Next Up Towing Truck!

Howdy all!

My husband, Phillip, and I just purchased a 2023 Airstream Flying Cloud Office 30 ft! It will be ready to be picked up by March/April of 2023.

We are so excited as this will be our first RV purchase (we're going Full-Time) and we have been talking about it since 2020.

Right now, we drive our sweet red subaru but we know it won't cut it with the airstream.

We are looking at diesel pickup trucks; probably chevrolet silverado hd 2500. But wanted to ge the advice of rv veterans of which models they like more.

Also, if you have any tips for best places to by new or used trucks we would be so grateful!

The used car market is pretty steep, so thankfully we are not in a rush to make the change.

Can't wait to get on the road and start meeting our fellow rvs out at the parks!

Cheers,
Jenn + Phil
cloudoffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 07:10 AM   #568
Rivet Master

1999 23' Safari
Perrysburg , Ann Arbor
Quote:
Originally Posted by cloudoffice View Post
Howdy all!

My husband, Phillip, and I just purchased a 2023 Airstream Flying Cloud Office 30 ft! It will be ready to be picked up by March/April of 2023.

We are so excited as this will be our first RV purchase (we're going Full-Time) and we have been talking about it since 2020.

Right now, we drive our sweet red subaru but we know it won't cut it with the airstream.

We are looking at diesel pickup trucks; probably chevrolet silverado hd 2500. But wanted to ge the advice of rv veterans of which models they like more.

Also, if you have any tips for best places to by new or used trucks we would be so grateful!

The used car market is pretty steep, so thankfully we are not in a rush to make the change.

Can't wait to get on the road and start meeting our fellow rvs out at the parks!

Cheers,
Jenn + Phil
Well, I’ve got a 23 foot Safari, and have towed with both a 3/4 ton diesel GMC pickup, and now a F-150 with max tow package and max payload package. I’m very sorry I gave up the diesel (sold to my brother, and he won’t sell it back!). The F-150 is more sophisticated, rides better unladen, and does get the job done, but a.) my absolute best fuel mileage for a day of towing with the Ford is worse than the absolute worst day I ever had with the GMC diesel … many more fuel stops, even with oversized fuel tank; and b.) the torque difference makes a LOT of difference on x-way on-ramps, passing, etc. If you’re gonna’ tow a lot, and/or in hills/mountains, you won’t regret the higher cost, maintenance, etc. of the diesel; if you’re gonna’ tow occasionally, and mostly on flatlands a half-ton pickup will get the job done. In either case, be SURE you get a good weight-distributing hitch; they are pricey, but worth every penny. Aldo make sure you get a tow package that includes a built-in brake controller and extra transmission cooling. Have fun!
AirsDream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 10:11 AM   #569
Rivet Master

2023 27' Globetrotter
Winder , Georgia
You could spend hours on this subject with many different opinions and responses.
For a 30’ I don’t think there is any question that you should go 3/4 ton diesel. Stability, power , braking , and fuel mileage will all be substantially better.
I’m a Ford guy so I’m partial, but I know the independent front suspension of the Chevy/GMC product would make for a smoother ride.
Also plenty of Dodge Ram fans on this forum so I guess it comes down to personal preference.
Bcc75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2022, 05:01 PM   #570

2012 30' Classic
Parksville , British Columbia
We purchased a 2022 Chev HD2500 in May. We are towing a 30' Classic. Highly recommend! He is a beast and loves to tow Dynamax and Alison tranny make the job easy.
Cdn wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-01-2022, 08:30 PM   #571

2012 30' Classic
Parksville , British Columbia
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cdn wanderer View Post
We purchased a 2022 Chev HD2500 in May. We are towing a 30' Classic. Highly recommend! He is a beast and loves to tow Duramax
and Alison tranny make the job easy.

Cdn wanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2022, 08:27 AM   #572

2008 20' Safari SE
Boulder , Colorado
Hello and happy to be here!
Sjlucy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-08-2023, 06:11 AM   #573

1974 31' Sovereign
St Augustine , Florida
Jenn and Phil, curious what tow vehicle you decided upon? We tow a 31’ Sovereign with a 2018 F150 3.5L turbo, with the max tow package that includes many necessary upgrades for towing the trailer. Gets decent fuel Econ, averages 10-12 mpg, plenty of torque and power to go up and down 6% grade hills at and just over the speed limit.
Jtcote is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-09-2023, 08:49 AM   #574

AUSTIN , Texas
Reply to Jtcote

We ended up getting a 2017 Chevy Silverado 2500HD Diesel Truck. So far seems like a strong vehicle, although we haven't picked up our airstream yet!
cloudoffice is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 05:22 PM   #575

2024 25' Flying Cloud
Algonac , Michigan
Hello from Algonac MI.,
Just made the break from Class C to the Flying Cloud 25FB. Heading down to Florida in a few days to pick up our new Travel Trailer. Veery excited and we are looking forward to exploring Florida in the next couple of weeks. I am sure there will be plenty of info., suggestion and plan old good help on this forum. Thank you everyone in advance.
Mendocino is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2024, 05:55 PM   #576
Site Team

2009 25' FB International
2018 27' Globetrotter
Tavares , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mendocino View Post
Hello from Algonac MI.,
Just made the break from Class C to the Flying Cloud 25FB. Heading down to Florida in a few days to pick up our new Travel Trailer. Veery excited and we are looking forward to exploring Florida in the next couple of weeks. I am sure there will be plenty of info., suggestion and plan old good help on this forum. Thank you everyone in advance.
Congrats on getting your FC. And welcome to the forum. We are here to help in anyway we can. Just ask!
Hans627 is offline   Reply With Quote