Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2006, 07:18 PM   #41

1977 29' Ambassador
Great Meadows , New Jersey
Hi, after months of following Airstream prices on eBay, I finally took the plunge and won an auction for a 1977 Ambassador. The outside is in pretty good shape, though the interior needs some work! First step is to replace the gaskets and seals and make it watertight; the plan is to have it ready to travel in the fall... This forum looks like a great place for ideas and tips. Thanks.
philw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 11:36 AM   #42

1973 31' Sovereign
Erwin , Tennessee
Talking

Hi all. I've owned my 1973 31' Soveriegn Airstream for exactly 3 hours now, and I'm totally excited. I have many memories in my childhood in a 26 foot Caravan back in the early and mid-60's, as my dad was an designer/engineer in the Jackson Center, Ohio Airstream plant. He was good friends with Wally. We always had a trailer demo to take on trips, caravans, etc. to try out his designs. We went on several 2 month long carvans to Alaska, Hershey Penn., went to rallies, and spent many a summer in an Airstream in my grandfathers side yard in Ohio. Now, I'm middle-aged, finally with one of my own. My dad has a beautiful motorhome he built back in the 1970's. He left Airstream in the late 60's and started a company called Mobilux. He built several thousand and kept one for himself. He'll be able to help my husband and I with much of the work we need to do on this one I just bought. My husband and I have decided to move from Florida to east Tennessee and get an early start on our retirement cabin in the mountains. The first thing we need to work on is the frig. The dometic frig does not work, and the furnace pilot lite won't stay lit. We may be utilizing this forum for help. We'll be chatting later, I'm sure.
Amanda
"Mountaincat".
mountaincat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2006, 02:48 PM   #43
4 Rivet Member

1975 25' Tradewind
, Michigan
Send a message via AIM to eikel1we
Welcome mountaincat,
What an interesting conection you have with A/S. You have come to the best place for advise on "pampering" your A/S. I hope you have the opportunites to make more happy memories ..... in your own Airstream.

suz
2004 GMC Yukon XL 2500
Michigan - "middle of the mitt"
eikel1we is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 06:46 PM   #44
Dave28C

Currently Looking...
Santa Ana , California
Posting

Greetings: I tried to click the New Thread button, and nothing happened. So, I clicked Reply instead.

After 13 years with a Holiday Rambler Navigator, we're thinking of getting an Airstream instead. We're not looking for anything much larger than 24 feet, and we'd have to also get a new tow vehicle. Some years ago, I recall reading in Wired magazine a story about a modern design for the interior of an Airstream model. Does anyone recall the name and year of that model AS?

Dave C
http://home.earthlink.net/~dc1999/
Dave28C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 06:58 PM   #45
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
They are "International CCD's"

Dave-

Welcome and good luck in your search. Several years ago, Airstream got together with Christopher C Dean, an interior designer in northern Calif, and created the CCD line of International trailers. Very modern, light floors, wood stained black, bare anodized metal interior walls and bright colors. You can see several in the classified sections. Any trailer later than about 2003 labeled an International or CCD will have new style interiors. The other trim levels are Safari (lighter, less elegant) and Classic (Heavier wood furnishings, more ornate fabric interiors and heavy countertops, etc.).

As you will discover by searching, you can find modern interiors in old Airstreams, and many variations of interior design and floorplan and style with prices ranging from "nearly free" to "a lot..."

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 01:13 AM   #46

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Denver , Colorado
hoping for the Bambi 16' Quicksilver

I've been 'lusting' over the Bambi QS, ever since seeing it online then going to the Denver dealership & seeing in the scrumptious 'flesh'
I have a gazillion questions, but the most pressing ones are these:
1. What recommendations for vehicle to tow? Dealers have told me range of 4500 - 7000 #'s... I'd rather have an SUV, not truck.
2. I'll be traveling alone... hoping to explore the Eastern, Southern & Western seashores... leaving from Colorado. I have not begun looking at campgrounds in books yet, so any recommended ones along the coasts would be greatly appreciated.
3. Is it too difficult -backing- into the campground spaces, without a 'buddy' to help guide me?

I am getting so excited about this next journey.. I have raised my 6 kiddos..They are happy & healthy & doing their 'things'.. So it's my time now to get crackin
I love photography and journaling, so plan to send my kids, friends & grandkids LOTS of postcards 'from the edge'... I'm so happy my son, who is an avid kayaker & surfer found this site for me today, as he was reading the mountain buzz forums!
debbythesea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 01:36 AM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Tips for first timers

Greetings debbythesea!

Welcome to the Forums!

Quote:
Originally Posted by debbythesea

I've been 'lusting' over the Bambi QS, ever since seeing it online then going to the Denver dealership & seeing in the scrumptious 'flesh'
I have a gazillion questions, but the most pressing ones are these:
1. What recommendations for vehicle to tow? Dealers have told me range of 4500 - 7000 #'s... I'd rather have an SUV, not truck.
2. I'll be traveling alone... hoping to explore the Eastern, Southern & Western seashores... leaving from Colorado. I have not begun looking at campgrounds in books yet, so any recommended ones along the coasts would be greatly appreciated.
3. Is it too difficult -backing- into the campground spaces, without a 'buddy' to help guide me?

I am getting so excited about this next journey.. I have raised my 6 kiddos..They are happy & healthy & doing their 'things'.. So it's my time now to get crackin
I love photography and journaling, so plan to send my kids, friends & grandkids LOTS of postcards 'from the edge'... I'm so happy my son, who is an avid kayaker & surfer found this site for me today, as he was reading the mountain buzz forums!
Tow Vehicle Selection -- my suggestion would be to obtain the GVWR (Gross Vehicle Weight Rating) for the Bambi Quick Silver -- then look for a tow vehicle that has a trailer tow rating of 120% or more of that figure -- the extra 20% will allow reserve for passengers, surplus luggage, etc. There are a number of SUVs that would be capable of towing a Bambi Quick Silver -- I share a dislike of pickups and after two disasterous experiences with pickus, I splurged on a Suburban and have been a very happy camper for more than 163,000 miles (I need the heavier Suburban for towing my Overlander in the Rocky Mountains).

Solo Towing of Trailer -- there are numerous Airstreamers who travel solo -- in fact, there is an Intra-Club within the WBCCI (Wally Byam Caravan Club International) for those who travel solo known as the Free Wheelers. There are a number of hitch "helper" devices that significantly ease the process -- I utilize a large, convex mirror mounted on a metal pole with a large magnetic base; this device is so useful that several of my acquaintances who travel with a companion choose to use one of these mirrors rather than the more traditional live assistant. Backing the coach takes practice, and it is highly advisable to find a lrage, open parking lot to practice maneuvering your coach prior to the first camping excursion. The small, single axle coaches react more quickly to tow vehicle inputs than the larger tandem axle coaches meaning that it may take more practice to develop the smooth, easy motions necessary to back the single axle coach.

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2006, 11:32 AM   #48
Sue

1971 29' Ambassador
Wilmer , Alabama
Sue

My husband and I own 2 airstreams the first being a 1969 31' - which we use when we go hunting. The other being a 1971 29' - which we wanted to use for the beach - how ever - the previous owners did not take very good care of it and I have started gutting it. This my 2 or 3 (maybe 4) year project. I have removed everything except the wall between the bunks and bathroom. I have started taking the floor out. It appears the windows are leaking (thats why the floor is rotten) and I will have to take the inside panels off to fix I think (thats what I have been told). My hubands stays out and tells me good luck and to call if I need any help!!. My biggest problem is the floor... but I will deal with that once I get it all out. I look forward to getting everyone's input and help and support... Thanks
sburgess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 10:40 AM   #49
1 Rivet Member

1969 18' Caravel
Sevierville , Tennessee
I have recently joined "Sisters on the Fly" and have now purchased my first trailer, a 1969 Caravel, 18'. I see a lot of history on the older Bambies, like number of them manufactured, how many still on the road, etc., and wonder if anyone has the stats on the Caravel...what years manufactured?, #made?, etc.
Lone Rangerette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-24-2006, 02:53 PM   #50
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Airstream310
Iwerne Minster , Dorset. UK
Those rivets!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Condoluminum
The rivets indicate how many posts you've made (not read...)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Condoluminum

You can track progress from New Member to first rivet quickly, Rivet Master indicates several hundred posts...

Welcome, and keep posting to earn more rivets...

John McG
I too have been curious about how One acquires the rivet membership, is there a set criteria - number of posts or new threads per rivet?

Moreover, those little red warning squares had me worried too. I made a faux pas when I copied my say from Word (to make sure it was all spelt correctly you understand!) and didn’t realise the text ended up coloured! I thought these warning squares were with me for life!

Out of interest, on the subject of strange (to me that is) terminology... what is a Blog?

Chuck
Dorset UK

Don't take life so seriously.... it is not permanent!
Chuckles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2006, 04:31 PM   #51

1984 31' Sovereign
Vernal , Utah
I'm new and very excited about my airstream, also looking for embroidery.

Hi,
A little about us and ours. We live in Utah and have 2 children left at home out of 6. My first grandchild is due tomorrow and we have reports of contractions.

We own a Sovergn and I am a little confused about the year because the title says an '83' but I couldn't find one when I registered so I just put '84'. We have had it for just a couple of months. We aquired it from my parents who just bought a brand spanking new airstream motor home and they have been traveling all over the country doing rallies. When our youngest moves away from home we may join my parents and the fun.

I love to embroider and would like to make some fun things with a picture of my airstream on them. I am a little lazy though and would like it if I could find where someone else has done the digitizing so I don't have to. So if any one knows where to find airstream embroidery designs I would really appreciate if you could share in the knowledge.

Our airstream has carpet in it and twin beds. Those are the first things we are going to change. We are installing wood floors and a queen bed so we can sleep together (I still like my husband even though he is almost a grandpa). With 6 kids and who knows how many grands will come, we feel the wood floor will be a great improvement for cleaning.

We have had a little problem with the electric trailer lift. It worked great when we got it but just quit one day. My husband is really great at fixing things so he checked it out and determined that probably the motor was bad. We ordered a new motor and it is still not working. If anyone has any suggestions we would love to hear about them also.

Thanks for reading and for the great site. I plan to visit often as become empty nesters I am sure this site will prove invaluable.

Cindy
sprosty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2006, 07:04 AM   #52
Damien P

Balwyn , Vic
Send a message via Yahoo to damienp
Quote:
Originally Posted by sburgess
My husband and I own 2 airstreams the first being a 1969 31' - which we use when we go hunting. The other being a 1971 29' - which we wanted to use for the beach - how ever - the previous owners did not take very good care of it and I have started gutting it. This my 2 or 3 (maybe 4) year project. I have removed everything except the wall between the bunks and bathroom. I have started taking the floor out. It appears the windows are leaking (thats why the floor is rotten) and I will have to take the inside panels off to fix I think (thats what I have been told). My hubands stays out and tells me good luck and to call if I need any help!!. My biggest problem is the floor... but I will deal with that once I get it all out. I look forward to getting everyone's input and help and support... Thanks
Sue, it will all go faster if hubby helps, but it sounds like you have a good handle on it!

I live in Australia. Have RV'd Europe, and would like to do some more.
Need a partner to do it with though. Would help if she's easy on the eye, can tune diesel and petrol motors, and perhaps give the house a bit of a paint too.
damienp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-30-2006, 05:49 PM   #53
2 Rivet Member

Phoenix , Arizona
Washer / Dryer

Hello my name is Bob Mariano.......I am thinking about buying an Airstream trailer............was wondering if you or anyone you know has ever heard of someone custome installing a washer / dryer in one? Please let me know.....and if I can contact that person concerning the installation? Also if anyone has installed more than one solar panel? Thanks.....
My e-mail is bobjmariano@msn.com
Bob J. Mariano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 02:06 PM   #54
2 Rivet Member

1980 31' Excella II
Stonewall , Mississippi
HI,

Alice and Spencer here. We just got our Airstream (1980, excellent condition) and we are in LOVE! looking forward to talking to all of you. We are from Stonewall, MS and hope to start traveling soon.

Alice
acrane is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2006, 02:30 PM   #55
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob J. Mariano
Hello my name is Bob Mariano.......I am thinking about buying an Airstream trailer............was wondering if you or anyone you know has ever heard of someone custome installing a washer / dryer in one? Please let me know.....and if I can contact that person concerning the installation? Also if anyone has installed more than one solar panel? Thanks.....
Hello and welcome to the Forums Bob,

Washer/dryer - doubt many have done this. You'd almost have to be at a commercial campground with a water & sewer hookup at the campsite to handle the fresh and grey water needs. Your onboard tanks sure wouldn't be up to handling this and other water uses too. Draining grey water on the ground is a no-no in about all 50 states. I see and hear about the bus size motorhomes with washer/dryers. Many commercial campgrounds might have coin-op washers on site or nearby.

Solar is much more effective without trees shading at different parts of the day, so are more effective in the southwest. It has potential for keeping your batteries topped off during storage. Even small panels to mount inside a window have been touted for this. Airstream rooftops tend to be interrupted by many obstacles to install a large collector. Another handicap is limited onboard weight capacity for storage batteries. Cost is very high for the power obtained but may be worth it for a hardened boondocker. Regardless of battery storage no amount of solar will run air conditioning or microwave. Inexpensive by comparison, small quiet generators are a fair alternative but may not have the amperage to run your A/C; eg, you need two Honda eu2000i generators wired in parallel to do that -- I'm just talking about the generators that can readily be lifted in and out of a pickup bed or SUV. There are countless Forum threads that compare these alternatives. You'd find them by using dual search words, like 'solar' and 'Honda' (or eu2000i).

I camp a lot in state parks and usually am able to reserve a site with just the electric hookup. I can stretch my fresh water to 3-4 days or more without being too fanatical if I shower in their facility. I'm usually ready to move on before then, so filling up the tank fits right into that schedule. I like boondocking too and have a one Honda eu2000i -- up here we run the A/C very little, even when there is electric.

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2006, 10:55 PM   #56
1 Rivet Member

1973 29' Ambassador
Tehachapi , California
Hello,
I too, have a major renovation job to do on our 29' 1973 airstream and if your not too tired after working so hard, could you help me with your first hand knowledge? I am attempting to replace the rusted out steel black water tank that is mounted inboard and a/s of Ohio says "no way"- No one will fabricate a tank and I'm getting ready to forget this project and junk this money pit if this keeps up-Did yours have a steel inboard mountrd black water tank? thanx-dan
borisnovas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2006, 05:38 AM   #57
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hi Dan,
Sounds like you've gotten on with your project. Glad you found the Forums -- and welcome! I would suggest the search function to find useful threads but it'd take some hit and miss -- I'm not sure what search words would lead this in productive directions.

My Argosy black tank was unique in being above the floor, so we may be talking apples and oranges. The grey tank below the floor has a galvanized steel box that protects the foam insulation around a plastic grey tank. I dunno...

A member who has done a lot of work with rethinking tank installation is Smokeless Joe at this thread. Also see here. Read the threads and maybe PM him if you want to chaw on this further.... We'd welcome your posting further questions and your progress. Glad to have you aboard!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 12:49 PM   #58

2006 19' Safari SE
Co Springs , Colorado
Hi Folks, I'm considering a new Safari 19' as a first Airstream experience. The concerns I have are not to many; foremost if my 2003 GMC Envoy will do OK as my tow vehilce, finding proper storage facility,and Picking out a good generator. Have a bunch of friends with RV's fifth wheels etc. and the Airstream has become our first choice in our decision to join in the fun.
wiley b is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2006, 02:42 PM   #59
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Welcome

The 16 and 19 Safaris are the lightest of the current Airstreams, if your Envoy is a V8 with a tow rating sufficient to handle the 19 Safaris loaded weight or GVW you should be OK. Your Envoy's manual will have the tow capacity listed as well as the combined weight maximum (GVCW) wwhich is the total of your envoy and trailer, both loaded including passengers, fuel, water, etc. Some would say that the Envoy wheel base may be too short, but that seems to be more of a debated issue.

The Airstream website has all of the weights listed for your review.

Many current owners prefer the Honda 2000 watt gens. You will need two with the parallel kit (hooks the two together) to run the AC. They are very light and very quiet. There have been many discussions on gens, so use the search function and read up.

As to storage, that is area dependent, so check with the locals.

good luck and have fun

John
TIMEMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2006, 12:20 PM   #60

1969 25' Tradewind
St.Albans , Vermont
Hello,

This is all new to me [joining,not camping].I have a 1969 25'Trade Wind that I am restoring.HELP I need a curbside wing window,glass,not the "new plastic ones they want to sell me.

So far this is the only part that has escaped my reach.Thanks for all your help!!

LLBove

lbove@surfglobal.net
LLbove is offline   Reply With Quote