Old 06-24-2013, 08:36 AM   #337
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Need Advice.....

Thank you so much for your replies!

The trailer I'm interested in is is a 1974 Argosy. It is listed in the classifieds on this site. The seller is asking $8,500. Here is a link to the ad.

http://www.airstreamclassifieds.com/showproduct.php?product=18222&cat=6"]http://http://www.airstreamclassifieds.com/showproduct.php?product=18222&cat=6[/URL]

The seller has also sent me additional photo's, but I don't see how to post them..

Anyway, I really like the vintage looks of this Argosy and it appears to be in very good shape. After doing a bit of research the price seems a bit high for the age and original state. The seller has indicated that all maintenance has been done and that everything is in working order.

My concerns are:

- The age 40 years old with all original wiring, plumbing, appliances. Possible leaks, rot and that type of thing. Basically buying a money pit.

We live in Oklahoma and the trailer is in California.. I don't mind driving out to pick it up.. We are originally from that area and I would love a visit with friends, but I would want to be pretty sure about making an offer before making the trip.

My husband is trying to get me to look at newer model trailers, but the newer Airstreams are so expensive. We could go up in price, but this would be our first travel trailer and I would really like to start out slow and not make a big investment..

Anyway, your thoughts and comments would be greatly appreciated... My husband is trying to get me to at least consider a Winnebago Mini , it just doesn't have the class or look of an Airstream/Argosy...

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me out...

Vickie

Old 06-26-2013, 02:50 PM   #338
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Looks like that one is sold already.. Looked to be in great shape, and even with modestly high price, those sell faster than tired ones with broken things, generally.. (Though that one appeared to have been sitting for sale a while...)

For size and age range you are looking at, be prepared for national market of buyers to look at and be ready to move quickly on good deals. Those are light, easy to pull, and ready to use without a great deal of repairs or surprises..

Without trying to be Dr. Phil, if your husband wants mini-motorhome and you want vintage trailer, you should probably keep talking a while longer to get clearer on budget and objective.. Motorhomes and trailers are like different religions, and few people convert from one to the other, even though it may seem the missions are the same (travel, camp, enjoy outdoors, etc.. ) It usually comes down to whether you want to separate and drive off in tow vehicle, or pull something behind MH, or live with bikes and walking and leave MH hooked up in campsite.. Maybe trying rental MH, or going with friends with trailer and watching how it works on trip where a run into town is needed would help...

Winnebago's are OK, but their construction ("stick and tin" over truck chassis) really doesn't hold up very well over long term, and having an engine, transmission and battery, etc. sitting idle waiting to "go bad" when you need it is a potential extra expense, if you can tow a small trailer with an existing vehicle.. The Argosy 20s were light enough a small truck or SUV with V-6 is enough tow vehicle, and a good shop can rig a towing setup for a lot of other vehicles for that size trailer...

Good luck in your searching..

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2013, 07:26 AM   #339
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Thank you for your post. I've just begun my search for my "dream" trailer. I think someone was able to pick up a real gem. I didn't know what to be on the look out for when when I saw this beauty. I feel much more educated on older trailers and hopefully will be able to move a bit faster should another one comes along.

I have alway loved the Airstream, and had never heard of the Argosy. My husband wants me to at least consider a newer trailer (don't want a motorhome), but I pretty much have my mind set on vintage ..

Happy Trails,
Vickie
Old 06-27-2013, 09:48 AM   #340
2013 Int. Sig 23D

2013 23' International
Des Moines , Washington
learning to get around the site.

Hello all,
Finally after 2+ years of contemplating we purchased our 1st RV and of course, our first Airstream. We bought it at the Seattle (Covington) Airstream NW dealer and must say they were great to work with. The RV is a 23D International Signature and our 2002 Tundra tow vehicle determined the final outcome as well as parking area size. We did want the larger bed of the 23FB and would have got it all with the 25 but the seating in the 23FB was lacking and the truck (I felt) couldn't handle the 25's weight. We are pleased with it so far but have only stayed in it in the driveway so far but do plan an outing soon. Many family members have trailers and have been waiting for us to join them and now we can. I have lots of newbe things to learn (inc. learning to backup smoother and quicker) but it will come I am sure. Anyway great site and much info to pruse and learn.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:55 PM   #341
1 Rivet Member

2014 25' International
Mill Creek , Washington
Hello my name is Jonard. My wife, Kim, and just purchased a 2014 International Signature 23FB from Covington, WA. We are going to pick it up next Saturday. We have been shopping for quite some time and finally pulled the trigger.

This is going to be awesome!
Old 06-30-2013, 08:18 PM   #342
Rivet Master

2008 27' International CCD FB
Petaluma , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by JKCA View Post
Hello my name is Jonard. My wife, Kim, and just purchased a 2014 International Signature 23FB from Covington, WA. We are going to pick it up next Saturday. We have been shopping for quite some time and finally pulled the trigger.

This is going to be awesome!
Congratulations Jonard and welcome!

You'll find all kinds of great information here on the forums. We got into this a couple of years ago with a 27FB and we are having a great time. One thing you might find helpful is a book that covers all the little pieces of information missing from the binder of manuals that you'll receive with your new baby.

We found this guide to be very helpful for us when we started out on the Airstream journey:

http://airstreamlife.myshopify.com/p...o-airstreaming

After we read this book we were familiar with the basics and could search the forums for answers for more detailed and specific questions!

Best of luck to you and you've made a great choice!

Brad and Maggie
Old 07-01-2013, 03:42 PM   #343
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Vickie-

If your husband still wants to push for Brand X Trailer, here are some logical facts you can share...

1. Lower Center of Gravity means safer easier towing.
2. Streamlined shape means less wind resistance, less swaying in gusts and better mileage
3. Long-life double shell aluminum frame means much lower depreciation and better retained value
4. Airstream is the only trailer that comes with a group of friends you haven't met yet! Whether here on Forums and Forum rallies, or Rich Luhr and Brett's "Aluma-events" or the Wally Byam club activities, Airstream owners find themselves talking to strangers and making new friends in ways other trailer brand owners just don't...

We owned a Nomad Weekender for more than 10 years before acquiring our used Airstream.. Really very different experiences...

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-01-2013, 08:07 PM   #344

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Flat Rock , Indiana
Greetings From Flat Rock

Hopefully I won't embarrass my wife and children when we pull into the first rest stop on our maiden trip.
Old 07-11-2013, 06:06 AM   #345
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by rdinflatrock View Post
Hopefully I won't embarrass my wife and children when we pull into the first rest stop on our maiden trip.
Nonsense! Rest stops are easy; park alongside the semis. The semi parking at most highway rest areas is designed for pull-through, no backing, and the parking lanes (can't really call them spaces) are a lot wider than a standard automotive parking space.

One word of advice in the rest area, don't pull all the way to the front of the parking lane (which is probably about 65' long) you want later arrivals to see the back of your trailer even if a semi is parked alongside, so they don't mistake it for an empty lane and try to pull in. Just pull in far enough that the back of your trailer is inside the parking lane; the front of your tow vehicle may be a good 20 feet from the front end of the lane, but that's okay.

In my case, with an Airstream Interstate class B pulling a Honda Fit hatchback, the whole rig is only about 40 feet long. I pulled all the way up, and nearly got rear-ended by a semi that thought the lane was empty until he got far enough into his turn to see around the semi parked alongside me. Good thing he had quick reflexes and good brakes! He's the one who told me this trick about parking toward the back of the parking lanes.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

Engineering: Finding complex solutions to simple problems you didn't even know you had.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-12-2013, 07:46 PM   #346
2 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
parkville , Maryland
New Maryland AS owners.

Hello I am John, my wife and I just purchased a 25' 1970 tradewind. We had been keeping an eye out for one for a few years. And jumped on this one when we saw it. Its All original with most everything still working, needs alot of light bulbs. Have not yet tested the water system yet but it appears to have antifreeze in the tanks. Keeping my fingers crossed. I can see there is a wealth of info on here an look forward to sharing our AS journey.
Old 07-12-2013, 07:53 PM   #347
Sbb
begorragirl

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Denville , New Jersey
Ohio Turnpike is great for travel overnites, three rest areas in each direction have designated RV parking, plug in for 30 & 50amp, picnic tables, wAter and dump. There is a small fee and it is safe. Easy to contune journey in AM.
2001 Teardrop, Mountain Hardware Tent
For some perfection takes a little longer...
Sbb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2013, 12:03 PM   #348
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
Menlo Park , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnamjr View Post
Hello I am John, my wife and I just purchased a 25' 1970 tradewind... Its All original with most everything still working, needs alot of light bulbs.
Welcome to AirForums. One tip to newcomers who've bought a vintage unit is to install LED lights whenever possible. They're pricey up front (getting better all the time) but they pay off in the long run and they make it much easier to get off the grid. Getting away from plug-in campgrounds is one of the great joys we've had with our trailer.

We've taken apart or fiddled with just about every part of our '71 Tradewind, so if you have questions about yours, drop us a message.
Old 07-23-2013, 10:18 AM   #349
2 Rivet Member

1970 25' Tradewind
parkville , Maryland
Yup just ordered all new led running lights. Thanks
Old 07-23-2013, 11:57 AM   #350
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
Antenna possibilities

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mariposa Jim View Post
Hi, Just joined tonight. We have a 27' Front Bedroom and we pull with a Suburban. This is our 2nd Airstream. My question is What is the best way to and place to put a ham multi-band antenna on these things??? Any other Hams out there?

KF6WKU
One way to do it is a screwdriver antenna with a controller. I have a Yeasu FT-857 with an ATAS-120A antenna. The controller is built into the rig. Antenna mounted on top of the trailer, well grounded and bonded to the roof, on a tilt-up mount that raises the antenna when needed. Also have a connection in the refrigerator space that allows connecting an alternate external antenna when desired. Seems to be the simplest method. Antenna folds forward to help keep wind-driven water out of it's guts when on the move.

KE4GNK