Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-17-2016, 08:15 PM   #461
2 Rivet Member

1969 27' Overlander
Sebring , Florida
Newbee joined the clan

Hello,

My wife and I are celebrating our 25th anniversary this June and a way to be "silver" was to get a vintage 1969 Airstream restoration project.

We looked at a friend's trailer that has been sitting for some time, either an Ambassador or a Sovereign. When we left I was not sure what we would do, and after checking the retail prices, I countered their offer, and we agreed on $2,300. I think we made a good deal knowing systems will have to upgraded and new tires etc.

So we will be looking for help in bringing this wonderful thing back to life.
John Rousch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 08:11 AM   #462
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
bradenton , Florida
New to Airstream Forum - many questions

Hello, AS Community. I have no clue if I am doing this correctly, but something stated 'into yourself here.' We are seriously considering an AS - die our first walk through at Tampa RV where they had several 19-30 footers. My husband and I had hoped to like something smaller than the 25 FC, but our first experience in them was small and 'not too great' floor plan for us. I liked dual axle. Tow vehicle wont be a problem as we plan to get one AFTER the right TT. I initially thought Oliver, Escape FB would be our ticket, but still not sure. I just cant like some thing more reasonably priced like Lance, etc (I need windows, not hotel wannabe). We live in FL and dont feel its great for camping - takes 8 hours to get out of state! This is a dilemma for doing this at all. Our plan (or desire): 1-2 trips to NC/TN per year, some nice almost local camping (St. Augustine, FL, etc), and 1 trip out West, etc per year. Not a lot for a big ticket item when living in Bradenton, FL. What are the chances of hail storm damage? IS 25 TOO small for National Parks (WE WANT to do that mostly - not campground stuff). We will have 7 yo granddaughter on occassion. What is the upkeep on AS and its quality THESE days (we hope to find a gently used, few years older perhaps, but this is all speculative). Thanks for any help you can offer.
hiking1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2016, 03:36 PM   #463
MJP

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Mobile , Alabama
No airstream yet thinking about a 25 foot flying cloud for just the wife and I , we bought a new little guy trailer to pull with our wangler , a week ago my father in law give us is 2002 f150 super crew 4x4 with the big v8 with only 60,000 miles on it so this changes everything, as of now our closest grandkid is 600 miles away any the others are 2500 miles , the wife and I are retired so we want to be able to go stay awhile then leave , thanks for letting me join I'll sit back and learn
MJP is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2016, 07:17 PM   #464

Collinsville , Mississippi
New to the forum

My wife and I are looking hard for a mid 90s 25 foot excella. We are getting into camping and only have a family of 3 but we may occasionally travel with 4. We have seen many in the 30 foot and 34 foot range but so far are not having much luck with the 25.
mboothe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 07:12 PM   #465
1 Rivet Member

1975 27' Overlander
Spring Lake , Michigan
Finally Part Of The Cool Crowd!

Hey all! I'm Anne from Michigan and I am so excited to be a part of this forum/group. I have been reading through some of the forums already and am amazed at all the info and camaraderie here! I finally made the plunge and will be finalizing my purchase of a 1975 27' overlander in the next few weeks. It will be a complete gut job and renovation but I think it's going to be an amazing experience. I would love to know if anyone has any favorite threads or must read info for a total newbie!
FreedomRay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 08:01 AM   #466
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
There is a huge forum section dedicated to the vintage folks and their trials and tribulations with the restoration process. Discovering a bad frame or rotted floor can lead to a shell off job which extends the competition date WAY out into the future after putting a significant negative cash flow on the owner's finances.

So some serious reading of the literature for the trouble areas to look for (many with detailed photos), and the ever willing offer of advice from their experience makes a restoration possible by any owner with some technical skills above just writing a check..

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2016, 09:32 PM   #467
1 Rivet Member

2014 28' Flying Cloud
Lawrence , Kansas
Joining the group

My wife and I are headed to Colonial in two weeks to pick up our 2014 FC 28W. This is our first travel trailer. Patrick has been great. We've been reading the forums and appreciate all the information available for newbies like us. The more we read, the more we realize how little we know. Looking forward to the adventures.

Steve and Wanda
Wandair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 06:07 AM   #468
Rivet Master

2014 30' Flying Cloud
Tampa , Florida
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wandair View Post
My wife and I are headed to Colonial in two weeks to pick up our 2014 FC 28W. This is our first travel trailer. Patrick has been great. We've been reading the forums and appreciate all the information available for newbies like us. The more we read, the more we realize how little we know. Looking forward to the adventures.

Steve and Wanda

We just got home from picking ours up from Colonial. Patrick and his crew are great. Be prepared with a list of items you want to check. I posted my list on my blog ourflyingcloud.com. I found the exterior porch light was not working and they replaced it on the spot. Everything else worked great. I also chose to stay the night at Colonial to test every system more thoroughly. There's a lot of stores and shops around. Be sure to take your GPS with you and enjoy!!!
2014 Airstream Flying Cloud 30 Recliner - WBCCI #4850 - AIR #110821
2018 Nissan Armada SL Tow Vehicle, Equal-i-zer Hitch
Visit Our Flying Cloud blog for my latest adventure!
FCStreamer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2016, 08:31 AM   #469
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Walking to the closest restaurant from Colonial (turned right at the entrance) was in the weeds with no sidewalks. Did spend the night there.

The obvious issues I discovered should have been noted and fixed during their PDI. Obvious as in no word "AIRSTREAM" on the back of the trailer and a wad of the plastic film beside the mattress that was not fully removed from the wall at the factory. They did install the mattress cover and no one noticed the wad of plastic or the broken Vista View shade. There were other issues as well.

The pantry pull out shelf was improperly installed and was an issue until I got it to a third party repair facility. The devil is in the details.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2016, 07:04 PM   #470
wkm

Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
rome , Georgia

Just joined....empty- nesters soon..3 in college (yikes!). Look forward to learning and , hopefully, jumping into a 25 footer with boondocking capabilities. Thanks!
wkm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2016, 12:09 PM   #471
1 Rivet Member

2008 23' Safari FB SE
Auburn , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by BMW Sid View Post
My first day here, too. Have had my 73 Tradewind for years. It has many issues that need to be addressed, so I will be looking into that 'search' feature. I was first attracted to the airstream because I have been welding aluminum since 1969. Thought it might be the way to go. I do have a few small holes to weld up,(It had an add-a room snapped to it) and a couple cracks in around the entry step area.
I don't think my univolt is 'putting out'.
Mine had the awful rolling vertical cabinet doors. All the pieces were there, and we tried to glue canvas on the back, but they didn't last long. Lots of wasted effort. Still have all the original appliances in it. Furnace needs attention. Have to find the thread about the reacall, it is that model. NT22A. Pretty rusty anyways. I guess that is more than enough for now. When do I get my first rivet?

Added
Gail C is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-19-2016, 03:46 PM   #472
1 Rivet Member

1973 31' Sovereign
hallsville , Missouri
My first mess

I recently became the proud owner of a 1973 31ft Airstream Landyacht Sovereign, center bath. I understand that I do not understand the amount of work ahead of me.
To begin, I know I need new plumbing. I am unsure of the condition of the fresh and black tanks. I will need to replace the subfloor at least front and rear. Do I need to pull out all the cabinets and bathroom before I replace the front floor? Can this be done in sections? What about the inner shell? I like having the fridge working so I have cold beverages at hand.
I appreciate any input, and would LOVE to meet anyone in the central Missouri area that has done or is doing this. I've replaced a bathroom sink and hung some sheet rock before. I might be a bit out of my depth taking this on.
Thanks, and I LOVE the Forums! I've been lurking for absolutely ages.
themostream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 09:35 AM   #473
1 Rivet Member

2016 30' Classic
Sioux Falls , South Dakota
Greetings from St Paul/Minneapolis

Greetings all,

4th time poster. I have committed sacrilege and posted elsewhere before a proper introduction here. Apologies are in order

The responses to my first inquiry were remarkably informative and generous with information. Technology rocks, eh? Thanks for the warm welcome.

After years of pondering a retirement lifestyle, we have settled on extended periods of Airstreaming from our home base in the Twin Cities. We are a couple in our early 60's.

Our journey forward has only recently begun which led us to the Air Forums. With a wealth of information available from experienced AS'ers, we feel confident that we will be able to make a proper investment in our future.

Thanks to all who make these Forums a reality.

Vaya con Dios

Snuffy
Old 09-23-2016, 02:04 PM   #474

Eugene , Oregon
Hi this is Chris from Eugene, Oregon.
We just placed a deposit on a 27' International Signature from Sutton RV here in Eugene. We take delivery in November.
This will be my first trailer (wife grew up with them)
We have 3 young kids and are excited to extend our camping season.
camp kyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2016, 06:30 PM   #475
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Canton , Georgia
Tips for first timers

Hello Everyone! We purchased our first Airstream yesterday, a 2017 Flying Cloud 23' FB. Haven't named her yet. We are very excited and plan on taking her out for the 'honeymoon' trip in 3 weeks. Would love to hear from anyone who has a 23 FB and loves it! I've been reading the different topics on the forum for hours. Lots of great info. P.S. We are in our late 50's and retiring in a few years. We have been camping the last few years in a tent camper so this is a major upgrade for us.

Cindy
Old 09-27-2016, 06:47 AM   #476
Rivet Master

2015 30' International
2009 27' FB International
2007 25' Safari
Currently Looking...
Greensboro , North Carolina
Welcome to the Cinmeredith's from Canton, GA

Maybe you could join us at this Carolina's rally, October 13 – 17

Palmetto Cove
521 Table Rock Road
Cleveland, SC 29635
Sites: 148 full hook-up sites, $25 per night

Go to this link

http://carolinasnc.wbcci.net/unitcal...es-2016/978-2/

and just click "attending the rally!" All the info is on the link. We would love to have you join us.

And, to all who are in the "Newby" class...great to have you on board. One of the nicest things about the Airstream (AS) owners is the camaraderie which for many of us is through the WBCCI, (Wally Bynum was the founder of Airstream)

Look forward to seeing some of you on the road.

Sent from Lennox, South Dakota, city park.
AIR #31871 KQ3H

www.fantinesvoice.com
Msmoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-02-2016, 08:28 AM   #477

1983 31' Excella
Lawrenceburg , Kentucky
Airstream value?

Good morning!
I am new here and was looking for a little direction on the value of my Airstream? I'm going to be listing it, however I'm having trouble uploading photos to this site. I'm sure it's something on my end, as I am technologically challenged. LOL 😂
Anyhoo...I have a 1983 Excella good condition. Everything works, fully loaded ready to roll.

May I have some feedback on the value? I'm sure it's always worth more than the seller than the buyer. This trailer is dear to me. 💕💕
Thanks!
Machell
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20160924_093614.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	484.7 KB
ID:	274679   Click image for larger version

Name:	20160924_093648.jpg
Views:	111
Size:	253.4 KB
ID:	274680  

Machell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2016, 01:04 PM   #478
2 Rivet Member

2005 25' Classic
SomeWhereIn , South Carolina
New(b) to AirStream and RV'ing in general, but took the plunge and purchased a used 2005 Classic 25 ft. In generally good condition. I have a minor problem with a water pump that I am currently tackling. And I can't seem to get the oven to light (stovetop is fine). So much to learn!!! But it is fun and so cool!
smokinjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-13-2016, 03:43 PM   #479

2017 25' Flying Cloud
Milford , Michigan
First post here as well. Our young family joined the AS community in September and can't get enough. We finally put 'Clarence' up for the winter this weekend after 5 trips in 8 weekends amidst a busy football season. We've met some amazing people with better stories already and want to be a part of a group that lives in a similar life stage as us. Can you direct me where to find a place to connect with young families? Thanks! Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1479077016.348578.jpg
Views:	134
Size:	106.6 KB
ID:	275388
Clarence57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-30-2016, 10:01 PM   #480
1 Rivet Member

2008 16' International
Forest Knolls , California
Hi Airstreamers! After a year and a half towing an Aliner pop up Camper, I just bought a 2008 International 16' Bambi! Perfect for one person and two co piloting dogs! I embark from Marin County and travel mostly in California, Oregon and Washington. But now I may get out further with a bathroom and shower in my rig! I am a photographer and scout for interesting events, people and landscapes. Environmental issues, social issues and FUN! Hope to meet some of you on the road! And would love to try out the NorCal Rally!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	ImageUploadedByAirstream Forums1480568179.875599.jpg
Views:	118
Size:	88.4 KB
ID:	276234  
RudiOnTheRoad is offline   Reply With Quote