Old 01-24-2013, 11:56 AM   #323
3 Rivet Member

1999 30' Excella 1000
Northern California , and Oregon
http://www.wbcci.org/home/regions-a-...-10/605-oregon

http://www.wbcci-or.org/WBCCI_OR_web...ssue%20jan.pdf

Welcome. Have you checked out your paperwork from the dealer for a packet about the local airstream club? There is an Oregon Unit of Wally Byam Caravan Club International.
The Oregon Unit has a Facebook page.
The newsletter lists 2013 airstream rally sites.

Air 6530
coastal me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2013, 01:34 PM   #324
3 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
Columbus , Montana
I couldn't find my intro post and wasn't sure if it needed to be "moderated" first. I waited a while and then checked the FAQ's and other threads (including this one) but never found anything mentioning the waiting for approval of your first posts. Needless to say I reposted and then saw the note about getting approval. D'oh

Thought I'd meantion it so other newbies don't make the mistake of double posting!

Old 04-09-2013, 07:37 PM   #325
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Correction

Quote:
Originally Posted by valorama View Post
I couldn't find my intro post and wasn't sure if it needed to be "moderated" first. I waited a while and then checked the FAQ's and other threads (including this one) but never found anything mentioning the waiting for approval of your first posts. Needless to say I reposted and then saw the note about getting approval. D'oh

Thought I'd mention it so other newbies don't make the mistake of double posting!
Actually, there is no moderation of a new member's posts except for those that contain links.

This is a simple method we use to make it harder for spammers to achieve their goal.

Old 04-10-2013, 07:37 AM   #326
3 Rivet Member

1971 18' Caravel
Columbus , Montana
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Actually, there is no moderation of a new member's posts except for those that contain links.

This is a simple method we use to make it harder for spammers to achieve their goal.

D'oh. Sorry, my bad. Newbies, skip what I said!
Old 04-13-2013, 03:59 PM   #327
1 Rivet Member

2011 19' Flying Cloud
Waterloo , Ontario
Newbie...2 weeks to delivery

Hello All ... have bought our first airstream and can't wait to pickup in a couple of weeks. If only the weather here in Ontario Canada would cooperate we will be trying it out the first weekend of May!

Bought a 2011 gently used 19' Flying Cloud. Tow vehicle is a 2012 AWD Dodge Journey.

Any tips/ideas are appreciated. Been a park model camper and popup camper for ever. Sold both and now to travel a bit farther afield.

Cheers,
John and Joan.
Old 04-14-2013, 02:44 AM   #328
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Hi John and Joan - congrats and enjoy your new trailer! Sue and I are newbies ourself and literally spending our first night camping as we speak! We're doing this the first night of a 2-day driving training session and that has been INCREDIBLY helpful to us so my tip would be to see if there's a CDL or RV training school you both can attend.

Then enjoy enjoy enjoy :-)
Old 04-14-2013, 07:21 AM   #329
3 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 28
Milton , Ontario
Just Missed Beginner's Seminar...

JohnGough,

Welcome to Airforums from another Ontarian!

You just missed the Beginner's Seminar held by Can-Am RV in London, which was held on Sunday, March 24th.

They talked about various RV's, Camping, Caravans, Hitches & Tow vehicles, as well as, Insurance options.

You could test drive one, or all, of their TV-Trailer setups.

It was a worthwhile event and they even served lunch!

Seeing that they are just down the street, sort of, keep checking back on thier website. They might offer it again.

Chris
Old 04-14-2013, 11:12 AM   #330
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
1985 25' Sovereign
South Central Rockies... , "...'Stream'n the Dream" thru the USA
Welcome aboard, J&J...

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnGough View Post
Hello All ... have bought our first airstream and can't wait to pickup in a couple of weeks. If only the weather here in Ontario Canada would cooperate we will be trying it out the first weekend of May!

Bought a 2011 gently used 19' Flying Cloud. Tow vehicle is a 2012 AWD Dodge Journey.

Any tips/ideas are appreciated. Been a park model camper and popup camper for ever. Sold both and now to travel a bit farther afield.

Cheers,
John and Joan.
Congrats on the new member of your family! Try a few long weekends on for size and find out what load-out works for you both. We've even simply used our driveway as our "camp site" in the early stages of our Airstream upgrades project to find out what we need and even more importantly - what we DON'T need. Space being a premium, we've learned that "less is more."

Just finishing a 3-week road trip through the SW US, we stayed and hiked the Grand Canyon last week and Zion NP prior to that. Timing is everything - April in those areas are essentially free of huge crowds and includes very pleasant weather.

General advice: We go south in the cold months of December/Jan/Feb, usually Death Valley and Quartzite. As our weather starts warming up, we go north in the Rockies - Antelope Rally in WY in September should be a good one!

Try NM in October for the Balloon Fiesta - its a great time and Airstream friendly for sure!

Best of Luck!

Art
Old 04-14-2013, 02:29 PM   #331
1 Rivet Member

2011 19' Flying Cloud
Waterloo , Ontario
Thanks alot... fyi ... we are very excited to get going.... will stay close to home the first few times but will be ready for summer vacation time.

Chris ... we did go to Can-AM rv seminar in March and found our unit on that day.... great experience.
Old 05-22-2013, 07:50 PM   #332
1 Rivet Member

2012 Interstate Coach
hansville , Washington
Hello,
We just arrived back to home base after our second 'shake down cruise' to eastern WA and Idaho. New 2012 MB3500 Airstream Interstate (lounge). Have a couple of question prior to "rhapsodising" over our A/S choice.
The hose reel mechanism (that empties the black and grey water tanks) has failed to reel in after using. We were able to hand wind the hose back using a pair of hand pliers. Contacted our local A/S dealer and followed the techs suggestions but no solution. Will be taking vehicle in so they can diagnose problem....appointment in two weeks time!
Anyone have/had such a problem and have a solution two newbies to A/S Interstate ownership could attempt?
Thanks..fn
Old 05-23-2013, 07:01 AM   #333
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
Metairie , Louisiana
Quote:
Originally Posted by froggsafield View Post
The hose reel mechanism (that empties the black and grey water tanks) has failed to reel in after using. We were able to hand wind the hose back using a pair of hand pliers. Contacted our local A/S dealer and followed the techs suggestions but no solution. Will be taking vehicle in so they can diagnose problem....appointment in two weeks time!
Anyone have/had such a problem and have a solution two newbies to A/S Interstate ownership could attempt?
Thanks..fn
Welcome to the AirForums! Glad to have you with us. Glad to have you among the ranks of Interste owners, too.

My first trip, I burned out the fuse for the power hose reel, twice, trying to reel the hose back in. I forget which fuse, exactly, but it's in the fuse panel next to the battery disconnect under the rear sofa. (Always carry spare fuses!)

The reel winds up entirely too fast, and if the hose gets wound crooked, it can jam, and the fuse will blow. Once you replace the fuse, try this in the future… One hand on the hose to guide it, one hand on the switch for the reel. Flick the switch back and forth, winding the hose in a foot or two at a time and then stopping. Any time it feels like it's about to jam, stop and partially unreel it again, and take another stab at getting the hose to coil up properly.

Since I learned that trick, I've only blown the fuse one other time in over a dozen trips, and then it was pouring rain and I was in too much of a hurry. Lot of good being in a hurry did; after replacing the fuse and starting over, I got even wetter.

I genuinely don't understand why they don't put a resistor in the line to slow down the reel, or start using reels that have guide rollers, or both. Next time I have my Interstate in for service, I'll have to see about getting a resistor installed; I'd do it myself but I'm too much of a klutz to risk doing my own electrical work. Or maybe a rheostat, so I can adjust the resistance to find the best take-up speed for the reel.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

I don't have an anger management problem. I manage to remember exactly what everyone has done to make me angry!
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-23-2013, 03:56 PM   #334
3 Rivet Member

1991 29' Excella
Tulsa , Oklahoma
Need Advice and where to look...

Hello All,

I am still trying to figure my way around these forums... This is kind of a test to see where this posts and hopefully who sees it...

My name is Vickie (married with furkinds) and looking at buying either a used Argosy or Airstream.. 20ft or so that I can enjoy with my husband and puppers.

I am ready to find my dream trailer! I hope to find a great solid trailer that doesn't need extensive repair work and will be reliable. I have actually found a trailer that I am very interested in and am hoping for advice and information seasoned members who are far more knowledgeable than I... Am I in the right spot?

I have posted in a couple other spots and haven't had any replays..

Thanks so much,
Vickie
Old 06-23-2013, 04:15 PM   #335
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Hi. You're in the right place for more seasoned folks who can help you. Unfortunately I'm not one if them being new to this myself. If you've found one you think might be for you, you can search the forum for experienced inspectors who might e in your area and able to inspect the trailer with you. You can also use the search feature to find checklists for inspection that may be helpful too and of course there is tons of good advice here. I find using the search feature with a few words relevant to what I'm looking for will show lots of results without my having to know which forum or topic they were first posted in. Hope that's of some help, now let the pros take over :-)
Old 06-23-2013, 04:21 PM   #336
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Saint Augustine , Florida
Hi Vickie,

Welcome to the forums; yes, this is the place to get all that expert advice. We joined last November after buying our "DreamStream" and have gotten lots of helpful advice.

Why don't you give more specifics about the trailer you're interested in and pictures if you can? Also, you might be able to find a volunteer inspector in your area who can look at the trailer before you buy it. Also, the forum classifieds is a great place to browse for Airstreams, and you can also get a good idea of asking prices for units similar to what you want.

We bought a 25 footer after having a smaller SOB (square old box) for years. That helped us determine what we wanted in our eventual Airstream (like walk-around bed!). We have a large dog who goes everywhere with us, so the extra room is great. Also, we wanted something that would be big enough for extended travels in our retirement, but not too big to be cumbersome. Of course, everybody's needs and wants are different.

I would recommend getting one as new as you can afford or a vintage trailer that has already been restored (plumbing, electric, flooring, axles, etc.).

Good luck with your search - it's so exciting!