Old 05-16-2011, 10:30 AM   #295
2 Rivet Member

1994 30' Excella
Napanee , Ontario
Hi Laurie. A great resource for information is a dealer called CanAm RV. Toll free number is 866-226-2678. We talked to them for 6 months before we ever purchased our 1994 30' Air stream. We towed it for three years with our 6 cylinder Toyota Sienna (using a Hensley hitch which is invaluable) We have moved up now and use a Jeep Grand Chief Cherokee Laredo which has a 6 cylinder diesel engine.
Andy Thompson at CanAm publishes articles on towing that are quite informative. Some articles are on the CanAm website. They will forward others to you. Andy tests all types of vehicles towing 5th wheels, trailers etc. then publishes the results.
As my wife says, we do trust Andy at CanAm. He made our entry into rving possible.
Regards
Brian

Old 05-16-2011, 12:27 PM   #296
4 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
Laurie, welcome to the forum. The only wisdom about purchasing an Airstream I can offer is go look at new ones in person, then look through the various classifieds. Your local AS dealer might even have pre-owned trailers. The size you choose is dependent on your lifestyle, and finances.
Are there QA issues with Airstreams? I'm sure there are 'bunches' of examples of poor quality and workmanship, but I am not sure Airstream is any worsse than other mfrs. We have had our trailer about 9 months, and have found a number of little items that need to be fixed, but nothing that I would say was due to poor quality.
If you take the plunge, take it out and enjoy it

Old 05-16-2011, 12:30 PM   #297
4 Rivet Member

2011 25' FB Flying Cloud
Peculiar , Missouri
Check lists can be a good thing. Consider 'forgetting' to raise the tongue jack more as a test or 'good catch', something I'm sure you won't forget again, list or no list...
Old 06-27-2011, 11:50 PM   #298

Currently Looking...
Nevada City , California
New Airstream arriving in August

I am having a terrible time using this web site, so please forgive me if I've posted in the wrong area. I used to belong, years ago, to the Nor Cal unit and would like to find them again. Can one of you point me in the right direction?
Joan Girdler Good girdler@gv.net. Thank you.
Old 06-28-2011, 01:19 PM   #299
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
Try looking here:

Airstream Club WBCCI NorCal Northern California Unit

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2011, 02:02 PM   #300
2 Rivet Member

2011 22' Sport
New Market , Virginia
New Member, but might be doing this first post in the wrong place

Hello,

Am newly registered on the forum but have been lurking for awhile. Certainly am appreciative of the wealth of information.

Picking up a 2011 Sport in NJ on the 23rd of this month. First Airstream but one has been on my bucket list, and at age 59, it's time. Can hardly stand the wait.

Will do short trips and then a cross country trip from Virginia to Whidbey Island, new home, next summer, with yellow lab Bailey.

For now a thanks again for the great information.

Martha
Old 09-15-2011, 04:36 PM   #301
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Welcome!

Martha-

A lot of us are working on our bucket lists in some form or other, whether a specific trailer or trip or just plans.. Yours sounds good, and should be filled with memories... Best advice for new owners is to keep sense of humor on pre-start checklist (think Robin Williams and Lucy Arnaz...) and take it slow.. Don't push it into bad weather, bad roads or too tired to drive safely...

Hard to really mess up here posting, but you're in right place pretty much.. Using the search tab above is one way to try and find answers or similar messages and see if info is already here..

There are days I think there is more informaiton posted and stored here than any sane Airstreamer can possibly make use of, and then I find myself posting a new question soon thereafter..

Let us know how the tr

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Old 05-28-2012, 03:39 PM   #302

Currently Looking...
St. George , Utah
New member in Utah

Tim & Brenda Smith,

Saint George, UT.

We are about to purchase our first Airstream. Most likely a 27 FB with two air.

Hope to order a 2013 next week as soon as I figure out the "right" options for us.

I do see you have some jousters on this forum. Fiberglas Airstreams!! Make that jokers !

Using my iPad and can't correct type ?

Regards

Tim & Brenda
Old 06-03-2012, 01:47 PM   #303

1986 27' Sovereign
Midland , Texas
Newbies

We have just purchased our 1986 sovereign 27' airstream. So far we love it. Just started re new work and the first thing is a new cork floor. In removing the carpet I pulled out the drawer under the jack knives sofa, got the slides messed up and now we can not get the slides unlocked and the drawer back in place. Has anyone had this problem and how did you fix this? Husband it not real happy about about this:O
Old 06-04-2012, 01:58 PM   #304
Rivet Master

1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Not sure exactly of problem with the term "messed up" describing the slides for the under-couch drawer... A picture would always help...

We removed and replaced entire couch, and carpeting, but didn't carpet all the way under the couch to front, as carpeting only ran about 6" under front lip of drawer.. If carpet too thick, it will cause drawer to bind coming out or block return...

It is much easier to work on with flat cushion/seat up out of the way, and a sawed off broom handle or similar support helps keep it up and clear so you can work with the drawer unit.. The front also can be removed from the drawer, to make it easier to manuever.. Finally, there may be some residue or bits located along slides, or under drawer that are blocking the movement, including possilby fragments of carpet or pad or nails/tacks or wood debris.. With couch seat lifted up and drawer disassembled, it is easier to completely remove again, and study slides and rollers and see where the movement is being restricted

Old 06-04-2012, 02:38 PM   #305
Enthusiastic New AS'r

1985 31' Limited
Glenville , New York
Just took ownership of a 1985 Limited (31). Had the hard wood floors put in, looks amazing! Had a couple of small leak rot spots in the rear bedroom under the beds repaired and sealed. Just a small bit of caulking to take care of then we take our maiden voyage Fathers Day weekend, just a short and close weekend in the woods in case we have problems. No hook ups so we'll get to know the battery system well. Have a long 8 hour drive trip planned for the end of the month of June. Assateague Park, MD for a Wed-Fri (no hook ups) then on to a KOA in Williamsburg, Va (full hook up) Fri to Mon. We're jumping with both feet! So far it's been parked in our driveway, we have slept and eaten in it and we love it!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-05-28 13.59.10.jpg
Views:	75
Size:	452.6 KB
ID:	160087   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-05-28 14.02.33.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	238.6 KB
ID:	160088  

Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-05-28 13.59.55.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	263.4 KB
ID:	160089   Click image for larger version

Name:	2012-05-28 14.03.16.jpg
Views:	56
Size:	250.3 KB
ID:	160090  

Old 06-04-2012, 09:26 PM   #306
1 Rivet Member

1973 27' Overlander
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Was it hard to install the floors? Rich
Old 06-06-2012, 01:29 PM   #307
1 Rivet Member

1971 29' Ambassador
Naples , Florida
New to Airstreams, New to Air Forums

Hello Everyone,

My girlfriend and I are new to Airstreams and Air Forums, having bought one of the former before finding the latter.

Needless to say, we are excited to have our new addition to the family, a 29' '71 Ambassador, but we will be learning a lot as we go along as our purchase was a bit impulsive. Oh boy...

Maybe it would have been better to find Air Forums first, but better late than never!

We look forward to asking questions and learning from the voices of experience, and thank you in advance for all your help.

Cheers!
Old 06-06-2012, 03:00 PM   #308
Enthusiastic New AS'r

1985 31' Limited
Glenville , New York
Had a pro do it...went pretty easy...put flooring down and left a 1/4 in gap for expansion, then a simple molding to cover that up... Worth it!