Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-01-2006, 06:43 PM   #21
Rivet Master

1992 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
JOY IN , Arizona
Active New Member but Old Passive Member

Hi all,first I want to thank all the members,for writing their ideas and advice.I have been reading here for almost 2 years or more.I finally found my Airstream,a 1999 Bambi ,my first A/S.I did not think I would ever get one.Searching and looking and driving until I found this Bambi in my back yard, 10 miles from my home.My advice to first time buyers buying preowned A/S is to be patient and you will find a gem,like I did. Thanks Members. John.
firedog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 09:05 AM   #22

1978 Argosy Minuet 6.7 Metre
red , Washington
Tell Me About A 1978 Argosy 24' Please Are They All Painted? Does 2400 Seem Like A Good Deal? Please Help
amaral is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 10:44 AM   #23
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1979 30' Argosy
Armada , Michigan
Hi Amaral, welcome to the forums. Yes, all Argosy's are painted, and if you are buying a decent condition Argosy 24', where the running year is in decent shape, there no dents above the rubline, and some of the appliances work, such as the stove and maybe you have to replace the water pump or AC or fridge, then yes, that's a real good deal. If you're selling it, try to get $4000. However, we need more info to really help you nail it down.

John

Quote:
Originally Posted by amaral
Tell Me About A 1978 Argosy 24' Please Are They All Painted? Does 2400 Seem Like A Good Deal? Please Help
AYRSTRM2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2006, 07:06 PM   #24

St. Charles , Missouri
Question Hello from the St. Louis area

I am actively looking for a wide body model excella or Classic (year 1995 and forward) I noticed there were several models. Model 1000 etc/ what are the differences? Whats a good on to go with and what should I stay away from. What other forums list used airstreams?? Thank for you help
cmtrout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2006, 12:06 PM   #25

Byron , Illinois
Hi Airsteamers

My current pleasure is a 1958 airplane (Bellanca Cruisemaster), I thought it would compliment a 1958 trailer for my annual hike to Oshkosh. I'm enjoying this site as great educational resource as I look for my new project!

Glenn
glennhake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2006, 02:22 PM   #26
1 Rivet Member

1962 19' Globetrotter
Jackson , Mississippi
I just signed up and don't know if this is how to "post an introduction or not" but am giving it a try -- please be patient as I learn!

My husband & I returned last evening from Pensacola Rally. This was our 1st and it was fun beyond description ! If all rally, rallyers & Airstreamers are as wonderful as these folks, we'll be Airstreaming the rest of our lives! Already wondering if our '62 Globetrotter is big enough for all the adventures we plan to take!

A....
amollere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2006, 07:38 PM   #27
1 Rivet Member

2005 19' International CCD
Owosso , Michigan
Should have viewed that first!!
rjsbambi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 03:59 AM   #28
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Quote:
Originally Posted by amollere
This was our 1st and it was fun beyond description ! If all rally, rallyers & Airstreamers are as wonderful as these folks, we'll be Airstreaming the rest of our lives! Already wondering if our '62 Globetrotter is big enough for all the adventures we plan to take!

A....
Welcome to the forum. We've only been on two rallies with two different units, and both were a blast. If you think that old trailer is too small, feel free to drop it off in my yard anytime.
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 05:41 PM   #29

1967 22' Safari
DULUTH , Minnesota
help!!

I keep tryinng to post a classified and when it down loads it just goes back to step one of creating a listing- I have tried it 3 times- arghhhhh! help
sarahseidelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2006, 07:01 PM   #30

1973 31' Sovereign
Naples , Florida
Yo soverign boy, I did the same thing, but got a pretty good one. The best thing I have found sinse the big girl's birthday was to look at the web page for DIY network. They are still showing sections of their earlier program where they redo a 1970 airstream. Some good ideas, and maybe some good suggestions for how to do some of that work you have found necessary. Good luck with your silver bullet. Captain
cptmorgan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-05-2006, 11:11 AM   #31

Currently Looking...
Ingrave , Essex , Essex
Gazz

Hi everybody, I could use your advice about obtaining an Airstream. I have held a rather romantic view of selling up and travelling the world in an airstream trailer for some time. It all started when I went to a country show, and saw a huge RV. At the time I thought that was for me, but over the years I have thought about it and concluded that if I were to park one of these in a campsite, what would happen if I wanted to go shopping? or go for a drive? I would have to unhitch and drive into town . I have now decided that a trailer is the answer. I have deduced that Airstream trailers appear robust and have a good pedigree (Unless you know better). I can retire in two years at the age of 52 and have no children. I have loved travelling and would like to do more. I have seen the Airstreams around America and they appear iconic of the American dream. I would welcome your views . I have recently read on the internet that the newer Airstreams are not as well made as the old ones, is that true ? or is this a report from a disgruntled competitor. please get back to me. I intend to hire one to find out for myself but could still use your advice. Regards Gazz
GAZZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 05:39 AM   #32
1 Rivet Member

2001 36' Land Yacht XC Diesel 300 hp w/slide
Coal City , Illinois
Thumbs up Well yes new here and to Airstream

Bought this year a 2001 Landyacht XC360. LOVE this thing! Our first overnighter was in my Dad's driveway and we were real glad we din't leave it, woke up on travel day to snow and alot of wind. 1st trip was to Atlanta GA and WOW! We now have 4 or 5 3+day trips planned and get bummed that we stay home for a weekend. Love the coach, more comfortable in it than at home. Finally looking at fultiming in a realistic fashion. Our first set of "living aboard" research would have been on a 60' houseboat. One yacht for another!
markdc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 09:59 AM   #33
1 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Sheenboro , Quebec
Newby needing help!!!

Hi Folks,
My name is James and am a Firefighting Pilot who lives in a 1979 Excella 500 during the fire season from May until October in Northwestern Ontario Canada. I purchased my Airstream from a dealer in Southern Ontario in early 2003. Everything worked okay for the first summer, but at the beginning of the 2004 season the Dometic fridge packed it in, then at the beginning of the 2005 season the AC unit on top packed it in. Luckily I was able to get the AC fixed easily, but the fridge was another matter. Apparently the only way to fix it is by having it recharged or replaced. I am hoping someone may be able to tell me if there is a company that could recharge my fridge for me in Ontario or Manitoba. I can't really afford a replacement at this time or in the near future. ( I am using a small electric fridge for the time being) Also, I would like to restore or refurbish the interior at some point and would welcome any and all advice on this topic. I have grown to believe that the Dealer I bought this unit from actually rebuilt it from a bunch of parts, (especially the interior) then unloaded it on a pigeon like me. I admit I didn't know much about what to look for when buying used, but I was really keen on Airstreams, both for the design and I hoped they would maintain a good resale value. Anyway, I am hoping that I can eventually restore or refurbish mine either to keep it or sell it. Any help or advice would be greatly appreciated!!! Thanks
Hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 11:04 AM   #34
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum
How did it pack it in?

Hoop-

Welcome and sorry to hear of problems... Now that you've registered, you can use "SEARCH" feature in blue bar above to look for "Dometic" or refrigerator posts, of which there are hundreds..

Before sending you off, several things to consider and possibly try..

1. Most dealers and service shops prefer sellling new refrigerators to fixing old ones.. Not evil or bad, just fact of life in business, as repairs can be expensive and if it fails again the shop might have to continue working on it and lose money.
2. There are several failure modes. You didn't describe which hit yours...
a. Yellow powdery stuff on coils in back, smells of ammonia (It's DEAD!)
b. Works on 110V AC Power, but not gas (burner/propane/flue problems)
c. Starts up and quits within 24 hours, or won't start in either mode (Bad Control Board ($150 CAD)
d. Wiring failure or blown fuse/circuit breaker to back side of refrigerator

The control board failures are actually quite common, and you can potentially replace the board yourself with Dinosaur brand replacement unit, for less than 10% of cost of new refrigerator. Try to isolate the cause of the problem, and work with search feature to find messages here from people who've addressed those problems. If unit is going to be stationary summer home and has 110V electricity, you may get away with mini-fridge for a while...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 11:39 AM   #35
1 Rivet Member

1979 31' Excella 500
Sheenboro , Quebec
John,
Thanks for the reply and advice. WRT the fridge, it won't work in either mode, and both service people I had look at it told me that the rust inhibitor has crystallized inside or something and the coil or tubing on the back of the fridge is obstructed preventing the chemicals from flowing. It used to make a bunch of bubbling noises when I tried to start it up and it never got cold. Now nothing happens except the red light on the front comes on after about 30 sec. Will check out the forum as you mentioned. Thanks again.
James
Hoop is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2006, 02:23 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Still not hopeless...

I see you have jumped onto DOmetic Refrigerator thread, so I'll post a couple names of service shops over there...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Old 05-16-2006, 06:13 AM   #37
2 Rivet Member

1963 30' Sovereign
Des Ruisseaux , Quebec
Hello!

Hi,

I stumbled upon this site like Alice in Wonderland. Didn't realize all the excitement about Airstreams until
I purchased on recently. See it was meant as storage space and studio for me (knitwear design and textile arts) and looked better than a backyard cabana. Now I just want to restore it and start travelling! Maybe I can become a travelling knitwear designer.

Anyway the trailer is in good shape, or so it seems, but only time will tell. I only cared about it being waterproof when I bought it. The cabinetry is original although painted, the twin bed cradles are there, it boasts a lime green gas oven but all the upholstery is gone.

I'm looking forward to meet you and hear your stories.
Northerngal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-16-2006, 09:22 AM   #38
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Hi Northerngal and welcome to the forums! Good luck with your restoration and future journeys.
Old 05-19-2006, 12:13 PM   #39
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Wayne , Michigan
Quote:
Originally Posted by Janet
Hi and welcome to the Forums. This introduction Sub-forum is the place to introduce yourself to the rest of the community and try out your first post. Tell us about your trailer or if you've just begun to look for one, how long you've had it, etc - we want to know!

The Forum is divided into subsections, each with a different topic. If you have questions about a specific issue, say "how do i fix my furnace", please post those questions in the appropriate sub-forum.

To post an introduction, click on the "new thread button at the top of the posts list and have at it.

Welcome aboard.
Janet- What is the "Rivet" thing?

tolla
tolla is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 05:31 PM   #40
Rivet Master

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Sunnyvale , California
Rivets = Activity Report

The rivets indicate how many posts you've made (not read...)

You can track progress from New Member to first rivet quickly, Rivet Master indicates several hundred posts...

Welcome, and keep posting to earn more rivets...

John McG