Old 01-30-2008, 05:58 AM   #197
1964 26' Overlander
Lake Placid , Florida
Hello everyone. I am new to the forum. I live in South Florida. We have a 1964 Overlander that I am going to restore. I need several cabinet doors, stove burner grates and we will make new curtains. I have started polishing (got about a fifth of it done). This is a great forum. I have learned so much already. No pictures as of yet. Thanks. Jim

judashand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:29 PM   #198
Rivet Master
1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Hi Jim, welcome! Sounds like you're making good progress on your Overlander. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your project. Good luck!

Mel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 02:21 PM   #199
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Welcome from Va. Beach!

Originally Posted by garydigdug
Well,I guess it's about time I finally posted after studying this forum for a couple weeks. I dont have an AS yet but i'm looking. I've changed my mind a few thousands times already as to what year and size I want. I'm currently working on a big contruction job that is due to finish up in 2011 and before looking for a new job I thought I would take few months maybe more to roam the country. I'm single so I don't need that much room and my 2004 F150 5.4 factory tow package is rated for 9500 so I'm okay there I think. When I have something valuable to say or just a good pun I'll jump in. See Ya.
Well you are close to Virginia's ONLY Airstream dealer - Just south of Fredericksburg on the eastern side of I-95 - you can see it from the highway. It's worth looking at new ones, though you can save big bucks if you get a gently used one. (They have a good inventory, but their service dept. isn't outstanding.) It's called Safford RV. DO GO AND LOOK, that is always the first step.

What is right for each individual varies widely - so spend a lot of time really walking through and SITTING and LYING DOWN in anything you see at the dealership. If you can't fit in the bathroom or find the bed to be uncomfortable you'll never be truly happy with your purchase. I wouldn't go bigger than a 25' in the newer ones with your current truck. I'm also partial to dual axles because you can run (slowly) with one flat tire and they behave better on bumpy roads and with crosswinds, but I've known people who are happy as clams in 16 footers. Be sure to assess long term crazy factor if you fulltime for months. A week of heavy rain or snow and you're pretty much stuck inside? If you're the kind who will go hiking in a downpour and regard snow as fun then a tiny "pod" could work, however if the "S" word brings to mind the fact that you haven't had a bone density test in 5 years... then bigger is better. How many indoor hobbies do you have and how much space do they take is also a great question. If you flyfish and have two rods and one tackle box, no problem... If you golf and have three sets of clubs, thin it out when traveling or get a 34' Slide out!

Oh, and GO to a forums rally or WBCCI rally (if they'll allow you in prior to purchasing) before you buy. We all secretly love to show off our units (oops I meant AIRSTREAMS naughty, naughty boy!)

Hope that helps,

Paula Ford
Today is a gift, that's why they call it the present.
Foiled Again is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2008, 05:09 PM   #200
2008 25' Safari FB SE
manassas , Virginia
Thank you for the advice Paula,
I'm trying to talk a friend into riding up to colonial in Jersey this
weekend just to see how they fit on me. I didn't realize Safford had
new Airstreams in stock. I do think a new one would be a good idea. As
much as i'd like to restore one i'm already busy restoring an old log
cabin including hand digging a basement under it and it would be nice
to have a nice comfy silver burrito to go to at night to get away from
the construction dust.
garydigdug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2008, 05:57 AM   #201
2008 25' Safari FB SE
manassas , Virginia
Well,you can see by my profile that I did it. Colonial Airstream was great. They are excited about what they sell and know all about them. I just wish they were closer so I can take the AS up for service. Maybe I will anyhow.
garydigdug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-04-2008, 10:32 AM   #202
Currently Looking...
Farmington , Minnesota
Hi all, so who's out on the road today having a great time, I'm in MN, it is like Christmas again. We are expecting 3-5 inches of snow.
jude blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2008, 05:23 PM   #203
Currently Looking...
San Juan Capistrano , California
Hey all, new to the forum here. I've never owned a trailer, heck I've never even towed anything and can't park a Silverado! That said, I have a gypsy-like tendency to simply pack up and move to new places. Anything vintage Americana fascinates me, and Airstream trailers are no exception! I've started more seriously looking into buying one for myself so I can start really living like a gypsy.

I don't know anything about RV's or how to live in one, so I hope to learn more here!
lisat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2008, 10:02 AM   #204
3 Rivet Member
2001 19' Bambi
Ashland , Oregon
Lisat, you sound like a lotta fun!

After spending about twenty-five years raising three children within a happy marriage, we've got one more left who's due to leave in two years for college. I am SO READY to pull up stakes and head out into the world. My DH is acclimating himself to my wanderlust and hopefully will be a good partner in this.

My goal is to sell our house, put our stuff in storage and head out in our Airstream. Now, we've never used our A/S yet which is the funny part! We'll probably take it out in early May for the first time due to some things going on here. He's nervous about it but I'm sure once we get the hang of it it will be fine.

Maybe if we do this I won't feel so restless all the time. We can find a place where we really want to settle down, even if it's to move back here to Oregon which is pretty nice. Lots to see and do.

Whatever you do, have fun, woman!
Muddy Waters is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2008, 06:03 PM   #205
Currently Looking...
Van Wert , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to allenhughes
Catch the Airstream CRAZE!!
allenhughes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2008, 08:58 PM   #206
1 Rivet Member
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Sammamish , Washington
My wife and I are relatively new AS owners and are inexperienced travelers. We've taken our 2007 25'FB on only a couple of trips since we bought it a year ago. We plan on using it a ton more this year. Since I work out of my house after starting a new job this last year, I can work on the road with the assistence of a Wireless Broadband card and mobile phone - gotta love technology!!!

Anyway-just trying to connect with other Aistreamers in the Seattle, WA area. We live in Sammamish, which is 15 miles due East of downtown Seattle.

Want to know some nice campgrounds within an hour or so away from here to take advantage of this beautiful area we live in.

Thanks for any/all reply posts.

BarkerNW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 03:32 PM   #207
Pleased to be here

Hi to everyone on the forum. Looks like a good place to have started.
I'm based in the South West of England and am looking at buying a 1972 Airstream Landyacht with a completely rebuilt, but unfinished, interior. I know it well because I was employed by the owner to do work on it about 15 years ago when it was imported to the UK. It was never finished. I will view it soon and take photos/ survey it as best I can. I can honestly say I think the technical help, encouragement and general good will among Airstream owners will be a huge help to me. Can't wait.
poprivet1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2008, 10:58 PM   #208
1 Rivet Member
1968 30' Sovereign
Birch Run , Michigan
Question Newbees

Hi all...
A friend and I bought 2 airstreams last week. Mine needs some resoration his looks almost new. There is a large number on the top of each one 21325 (mine) and 21818 (His)... What is it?

Ron from Saginaw
Ronbo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2008, 06:01 AM   #209
Well Preserved

1974 31' Sovereign
1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Originally Posted by Ronbo
Hi all...
A friend and I bought 2 airstreams last week. Mine needs some resoration his looks almost new. There is a large number on the top of each one 21325 (mine) and 21818 (His)... What is it?

Ron from Saginaw
Welcome to the forums. Those Big Red Numbers are the Previous Owner's (AKA the PO) WBCCI membership numbers. Ours are 1801. The numbers should be on the front and back, and there will be, or evidence there was, a small circular logo above them, which is the WBCCI club logo.
Meddle not in the affairs of dragons, for you are crunchy, and taste good with ketchup.
overlander63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2008, 07:43 AM   #210
Originally Posted by Janet
Greg - for a detailed explaination of the warn meter - check out this thread. And relax..... welcome to the forums.
Spring in Washington ...lucky !

nelson.groom is offline   Reply With Quote