Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-30-2007, 07:08 PM   #181

1979 31' Excella 500
Arcadia , Florida
Hello all!!

Hi! I have been full-timing in my recently purchased(1 month ago) 1979 Airstream Excella!! I absolutely love it!!! I have always wanted one. My brother had one when I was a child and it is a long awaited dream come true for this hippy chic! I can't beleive I bought one for such a reasonable price in such wonderful shape!!

I am currently living at the Peace River Campground in Arcadia, Fl. and by June of next year my husband and I plan to go on a tour of the US. If anyone has a chance to come to the Sarasota-Port Charlotte area, check out Peace River. It is one of the only parks in Florida that you can ride your ATVS!!
Happy Camping,
Lori
louisiana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2007, 06:11 PM   #182
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari FB SE
Truckee , California
Hi everyone,
Really cool forum here, glad to see it as i have just purchased a 2007 25' FB SE Safari. I take final delivery in about two weeks, and am working through several issues i need to adress (surprising how dealers don't know !) before/while they do the final dealer prep !
I am searching/posting around several places, and hopefully i can get answers to all my questions.
Here is what i'm looking for:
l. A correct hitch setup (i started a forum/topic ? in Hitches)
2. Catalytic heater info as dealer service center would install one (Surprise to me, cauz of liability/warrenty issues)
3. Some type of security/locking system for propane tanks and Batteries, and windows (unit was broken into at dealers through front panorama window- very simple with screwdriver/ or coat hanger wire to all windows)
4. More ground clearance under trailer if possible.

Answers or pointing me in the right direction would be greatly appreciated, thanks!!!!
flyfishfred is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2007, 02:03 PM   #183

Currently Looking...
2002 39' Land Yacht XL 330 hp w/2slides
Russellville , Kentucky
Hi flyfishfred. Have towed an Airstream since 1976 (Wow!!). To avoid any fishtailing, sway and, so forth, my advice is to use a Reese hitch with 650 pound equalizer bars and two, yes two, anti sway bars. Crosswinds, 18 Wheelers nor VW's (the bugs especially) will cause it to do nothing but gracefully follow your tow vehcile.
Unable to submit any other suggestions on your inquiry. Sorry about that. Good camping with your new Airstream. You now have the "best of the best" to enjoy.
734greg
WBCCI Unit 1106
Bob Gregory is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 11:00 AM   #184

Currently Looking...
Sun City , Arizona
Hi! We are Walter and Nicki and have been looking for a Motorhome that is apart from the masses. I have some Classic Cars and enjoy the fun they bring me when we drive in to a show! We are ready to tow them now and be set up when we arrive. Love this site, We see lots of work went into this. Thank You for letting us join. Walter and Nicki
Walter B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 11:03 AM   #185
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
MILAN , Illinois
Welcome to the forums and Merry Christmas!
FORUMS MEMBER SINCE 12/16/2004AIR#7110
"My tire was thumping, I thought it was flat. When I looked at the tire, I noticed your CAT!" Burma Shave
BIGED52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-24-2007, 11:03 AM   #186
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Walter and Nicki, welcome! That certainly sounds like a fun plan. What classic cars do you have?
Old 12-24-2007, 05:46 PM   #187
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Welcome, Water and Nicki...You're right this is a great forum and the best place to be regarding all things Airstream...lots of info here...and way lots of good folks who are willing to share thier knowledge and experience with you...

Glad you joined up!
TB
AirForums #21900
PastPrez, 4CU/WBCCI
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 08:16 AM   #188

2008 25' Safari FB SE
manassas , Virginia
first post

Well,I guess it's about time I finally posted after studying this forum for a couple weeks. I dont have an AS yet but i'm looking. I've changed my mind a few thousands times already as to what year and size I want. I'm currently working on a big contruction job that is due to finish up in 2011 and before looking for a new job I thought I would take few months maybe more to roam the country. I'm single so I don't need that much room and my 2004 F150 5.4 factory tow package is rated for 9500 so I'm okay there I think. When I have something valuable to say or just a good pun I'll jump in. See Ya.
garydigdug is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 09:14 AM   #189
1 Rivet Member

chatham , Massachusetts
Gypsy at heart

Hello y'all,
I am new to this awesome community and I must say that this forum is a godsend for those of us who are new to airstream restoration and know little to nothing about restoring a vintage travel trailer. I do have a brother who is a welding and mechanics whiz and another friend who sells used RV's, so hopefully I won't be completely on my own. Oh , and I forgot ! I have you guys!!!!
I've been wanting to own an AS for many years now and since I'm looking at retirement and an empty nest, I've finally decided to take the plunge and become the gypsy I was meant to be and buy a vintage trailer and .....join the caravan of life!!! yeah.!! That said ,I have found one that is geographically desirable, but here's the thing... It's a '72 Tradewind,with no title. The current owner said he bought it from someone in Maine and 'you don't need a title in Maine and it's not a big deal',etc,etc.yadda yadda yadda.... The vin is: L2J D2J 1724
Should I just go to the RMV tomorrow and inquire about the vehicle with the vin and just see what my options are before I buy her? I plan on gutting the interior and starting from scratch, making her like new from the skin up, so my concern is mainly with the exterior, which is 'good' on this gal. I'm just not too sure about the title .
Any words of wisdom from the AS gallery?
babendawoodz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:33 AM   #190
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Canton , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by babendawoodz
Should I just go to the RMV tomorrow and inquire about the vehicle with the vin and just see what my options are before I buy her?
Absolutely. Find out exactly what to do and how long it will take. I was born and spent my first 18 years in the Peoples' Republic of Mass (AKA "Taxachussetts"). I bought an old Pontiac Lemans that had transposed numbers in the title. The car sat in the driveway for 3 months while I and my parents tried to get things fixed, which included several trips to the local DMV, a bunch of letters, and a trip to Boston. Be carefull! (this was 30 years ago, though). I hope things have gotten better since then. (but somehow I doubt it).

Good Luck
dmreilly10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 10:53 AM   #191
1 Rivet Member

chatham , Massachusetts
pull up to the bumper, baby

Name:   tradewind.jpg
Views: 284
Size:  1.8 KB

Name:   tradewind2.jpg
Views: 282
Size:  2.2 KB

Click image for larger version

Name:	b865_12.jpg
Views:	183
Size:	36.4 KB
ID:	52932This is the Tradewind that I had mentioned in my previous posting. Besides the fact that there is no title with her, there was something else that I thought might b e bothersome. The rear extension on the bumper. Is this a red flag, doyathink? The trailer did not have any seperation that I could tell, no sag....and also this box is kinda ugly. HMMMMM. ? Might be difficult to change since it looks like the extension was welded onto the frame. I'm not too sure.
Old 01-21-2008, 12:55 PM   #192

Currently Looking...
Farmington , Minnesota
Smile Old traveler and new to the caravan

Hi all....I'm Jude blue, found your marvelous site and everyone sounded so much like myself, ready to roll with the caravan.
jude blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 01:03 PM   #193

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Welcome to the forum, jude blue! We do have a lot of fun with our Airstream lifestyle

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2008, 01:09 PM   #194

Currently Looking...
Farmington , Minnesota
Many thanks

I am currently looking for the Bambi, used, and ready to do any work necessary. Been ready to travel on wheels, as opposed to the tent, that served me well in over 15 states and not sure how many national parks. Love the land.
Stepanie, I looked at the pictures of your boat, congratulations, a fine undertaking. Jude blue
jude blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2008, 07:00 AM   #195
1 Rivet Member

chatham , Massachusetts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dmreilly10000
Absolutely. Find out exactly what to do and how long it will take. I was born and spent my first 18 years in the Peoples' Republic of Mass (AKA "Taxachussetts"). I bought an old Pontiac Lemans that had transposed numbers in the title. The car sat in the driveway for 3 months while I and my parents tried to get things fixed, which included several trips to the local DMV, a bunch of letters, and a trip to Boston. Be carefull! (this was 30 years ago, though). I hope things have gotten better since then. (but somehow I doubt it).

Good Luck
Thanks for the input! Not much has changed in Mass, though there are taxier states now and the winters are certainly warmer then when I was a child. Whoops, I guess I'm giving my age away. I grew up near Seekonk Speedway, how 'bout you?
Old 01-22-2008, 02:02 PM   #196
4 Rivet Member

1953 25' Cruiser
Canton , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by babendawoodz
Thanks for the input! Not much has changed in Mass, though there are taxier states now and the winters are certainly warmer then when I was a child. Whoops, I guess I'm giving my age away. I grew up near Seekonk Speedway, how 'bout you?
South Weymouth
dmreilly10000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 05:58 AM   #197

1964 26' Overlander
Lake Placid , Florida
Hello everyone. I am new to the forum. I live in South Florida. We have a 1964 Overlander that I am going to restore. I need several cabinet doors, stove burner grates and we will make new curtains. I have started polishing (got about a fifth of it done). This is a great forum. I have learned so much already. No pictures as of yet. Thanks. Jim
judashand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2008, 12:29 PM   #198
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Hi Jim, welcome! Sounds like you're making good progress on your Overlander. Looking forward to seeing pictures of your project. Good luck!
Old 01-30-2008, 02:21 PM   #199
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Welcome from Va. Beach!

Quote:
Originally Posted by garydigdug
Well,I guess it's about time I finally posted after studying this forum for a couple weeks. I dont have an AS yet but i'm looking. I've changed my mind a few thousands times already as to what year and size I want. I'm currently working on a big contruction job that is due to finish up in 2011 and before looking for a new job I thought I would take few months maybe more to roam the country. I'm single so I don't need that much room and my 2004 F150 5.4 factory tow package is rated for 9500 so I'm okay there I think. When I have something valuable to say or just a good pun I'll jump in. See Ya.
Well you are close to Virginia's ONLY Airstream dealer - Just south of Fredericksburg on the eastern side of I-95 - you can see it from the highway. It's worth looking at new ones, though you can save big bucks if you get a gently used one. (They have a good inventory, but their service dept. isn't outstanding.) It's called Safford RV. DO GO AND LOOK, that is always the first step.

What is right for each individual varies widely - so spend a lot of time really walking through and SITTING and LYING DOWN in anything you see at the dealership. If you can't fit in the bathroom or find the bed to be uncomfortable you'll never be truly happy with your purchase. I wouldn't go bigger than a 25' in the newer ones with your current truck. I'm also partial to dual axles because you can run (slowly) with one flat tire and they behave better on bumpy roads and with crosswinds, but I've known people who are happy as clams in 16 footers. Be sure to assess long term crazy factor if you fulltime for months. A week of heavy rain or snow and you're pretty much stuck inside? If you're the kind who will go hiking in a downpour and regard snow as fun then a tiny "pod" could work, however if the "S" word brings to mind the fact that you haven't had a bone density test in 5 years... then bigger is better. How many indoor hobbies do you have and how much space do they take is also a great question. If you flyfish and have two rods and one tackle box, no problem... If you golf and have three sets of clubs, thin it out when traveling or get a 34' Slide out!

Oh, and GO to a forums rally or WBCCI rally (if they'll allow you in prior to purchasing) before you buy. We all secretly love to show off our units (oops I meant AIRSTREAMS naughty, naughty boy!)

Hope that helps,

Paula Ford
Old 01-31-2008, 05:09 PM   #200

2008 25' Safari FB SE
manassas , Virginia
Thank you for the advice Paula,
I'm trying to talk a friend into riding up to colonial in Jersey this
weekend just to see how they fit on me. I didn't realize Safford had
new Airstreams in stock. I do think a new one would be a good idea. As
much as i'd like to restore one i'm already busy restoring an old log
cabin including hand digging a basement under it and it would be nice
to have a nice comfy silver burrito to go to at night to get away from