Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-22-2006, 09:08 PM   #1
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
thinking of airstream/ sprinter combo

Hi,
I'm new to the forum. I have a Dodge Sprinter, and want to match it with an Airstream. We've never experienced travelling in a travel trailer, but it is very appealing, so we're going to rent one next month to have some fun. Like to rent an Airstream, but that doesn't seem possible around here (Chicago area), so we're renting a box type TT for a trip to Ozarks/ Arkansas.
Anyone towing with a Sprinter? I'd like a 19' Airstream, but the 4500# GVWR seems a bit close to the 5000# tow rating. Perhaps a 16' is a better choice, but the extra room and separate shower would seem to be pluses.
I know how useful forums like this can be, so let me thank everyone who offers their time to help those who need some guidance.
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2006, 10:13 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1975 Argosy 26
1963 24' Tradewind
Seattle , Washington
Go ahead!

There is a forum member (Lewster) towing his 19 ft CCD all over the U.S. with his cargo Sprinter full of RV spare parts (he is an RV repairman).

I'd like one for my 26ft Argosy, but can't quite swing the payments.
Great combo!
Marc
3Ms75Argosy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 10:52 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1975 29' Ambassador
Reno , Nevada
At the I'rally a Sprinter AS B-Van was pulling a cargo trailer. Essentially an external closet for stuff! The impression was that the Sprinter BVan made a good tow vehicle for a load like that except that the mileage dropped to 12-14 mpg or so.

The "bit close" at 500 lb or ten percent under is commendable caution but perhaps over conservative. The issues are handling and hills.

An SOB is probably going to have more of an adverse impact than an A/S because of its shape and handling characteristics.

I wonder if a rental will allow towing. To do it right you will need a good hitch and the proper towing equipment.
bryanl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 11:14 AM   #4
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
FWIW (and I don't necessarily condone it ) The Sprinter can handle more than 5k towing. I suspect the towing capacity in part is limited by the liability involved. In Europe it has a much higher overall capacity rating and tow rating than in the US. I realize that towing rules in the EU are different than here in the states. But it does make for some interesting comparisons. I have driven a loaded Sprinter and was very impressed with the overall performance of it. We are seriously considering one for my wife's bridal business. So if you see a Hot Pink Sprinter van with Black and Gold logos on it....

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2006, 12:08 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1978 24' Argosy 24
Woodinville , Washington
The Sprinter is a very intriguing vehicle. We'd looked at one to replace our Safari van. I was dissappointed to learn the Sprinter has less towing capacity than the now defunct GM Safari/Astro vans. With our 24' trailer I'm definitely looking for more, not less towing capacity. Lewster reported great success towing the 19' AS and his Sprinter so if your decision is between the 16' and 19' with the concern being the ability of the TV you currently own I think it's clear you can get the 19 without worry. The caveat being that you will need to pay close attention to the hitch set-up and all the other recommended practices when towing.

This probably doesn't help since you already have your Sprinter but I read that a Turbo V6 diesel as well as a V6 gas engine are on the horizen for US spec'd Sprinters. As far as the Sprinter in Europe being given a higher tow rating I wouldn't even consider that as a reason to rate it higher over here. It's obviously not an apples to apples comparison. What I found interesting in Europe this summer is that I didn't see a single reciever type hitch. Every hitch I saw was a bolted on ball on a skinny curved extention that was integral with the ball. Looked more like something you'd see at the end of a set of stairs or on the headboard of a bed than a serious hitch.

-Bernie
bhayden is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 05:58 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2000 19' Bambi
mt. Prospect , Illinois
Yeah! Our area A/S dealer is going to work with us so that we can take a 19' International Bambi next week. I'll report back.
Bernie talked about the funny hitches in Europe, and it reminded me of when we were in Germany a few years ago taking European delivery of my wife's Benz (btw-it's a good deal). Over there a MB is just a car, and comes in economy, sport or luxury trim. We saw a Benz car pulling a horse trailer, several as painter's vehicles, and the fastest ride we took was in a MB diesel wagon taxi that topped 120mph (200kph) on the autobahn to the Stuttgart airport.
robert claus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 06:39 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1976 Argosy 24
now being enjoyed by Heath and Mary in , Vermont
Robert:

Do it.

When my project is done my dual wheel SPRINTER 3500 will haul my Mini Cooper while pulling my 'contemporized' 1976v ARGOSY, painted two-tone to match the MINI.

Sergei
Attached Images

SmokelessJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2006, 08:30 PM   #8
4 Rivet Member

2004 16' International CCD
1997 25' Safari
hamilton , Montana
Hi Sergei,, nice to see more pictures ,,,thanks for putting them on the Forum,,, donna
dieterdog is offline   Reply With Quote