Old 05-25-2017, 07:15 AM   #15
3 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
High Springs , Florida
Nothing wrong with downsizing. I highly recommend it, aamof. I always go as small as possible while still maintaining a level of comfort and functionality I deem necessary. You need to keep in mind the special limitations an Airstream presents. All carrying capacities are very limited, tankage, cubic footage of storage, and weight carrying. A white box of considerable shorter length will generally have greater capacities while being easier to maneuver do to it's shorter length.

brokeboater is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 07:29 AM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Hot Springs , Arkansas
Wow! Thanks so much for all the replies. We are at Orange Beach, AL, in a condo with our kids/grandkids/in-laws,etc. right now. I will read over and respond to your responses/suggestions individually, as time permits.

Tillybear is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 08:54 AM   #17
1 Rivet Member

Hot Springs , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
I think you would miss the space "downsizing" to an Airstream unless you are really serious about a smaller space. Maybe, once you've had slides you can't go back.

Be critical when you look at Airstreams. Less outside storage and the curved walls restrict space in the overhead cabinets.

You may have in your mind what downsizing is but when you get into an Airstream your idea of downsizing may not match the realities of the Airstream space.

Kelvin
Thanks for the honest critique. We had slides on our Holiday Rambler, and had bad experiences with them. Our current Prevost has no slides (by our choice), and has been fine for us. Storage is certainly a concern of ours, but to be perfectly honest, we don't use 75% of the stuff we have "stored" in our Prevost.
Old 05-25-2017, 08:57 AM   #18
1 Rivet Member

Hot Springs , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by rodsterinfl View Post
My personal experience is limited but I will share from others that I follow online like Lee Junk More Journey that there is some adjustment. They went down in size and RV type, like you post about doing. They have a 30' Classic and a family of three full-time. They have shared about the lack of outside storage and bought a van tow vehicle to offset that issue. They have also shared the ease of travel versus the large motorhome. Here is their link:

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC2I...c6kRtIiAGPRKZA
I have a nice folding, removable hard bed cover for my truck, and we could use the truck bed for covered storage, so that is certainly a consideration. Thanks for the link. I'll check it out later.
Old 05-25-2017, 09:59 AM   #19
VSM

2018 33' Classic
Knoxville , Tennessee
Welcome! Over the years we have had everything from a truck camper to a 30' motor home. Most recently we bought a 42' fifth wheel and used it in Florida for 2-3 mo during the winter. We towed it 9,000 last fall out West and did fine. However, we did find it cumbersome and more difficult to park with its length and height. So we decided, at least for the time being, to leave it parked on our RV lot in Florida and to buy an Airstream for our travel. We purchased a 30' 2017 Classic twin and love it. We are currently using it on an East coast trip and can honestly say we are enjoying the ease of parking and setting up and folding up. Not feeling cramped. We also have covered truck bed storage which is more than enough for bikes and etc. I do think that a lot of how well you will adjust will depend on your attitude. How much do you want it to work? If you know what I mean. I appreciated the comments by Paiceman and Shiny Peat, good advice.
We are enjoying the new style so much we are thinking about selling our fifth wheel, especially since we only winter 10-12 weeks. Have fun doing your research and keep us posted.
Vickitn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 11:47 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member

Hot Springs , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hiwheel Joe View Post
Can't really advise you, but you are in luck with one thing. There is a huge Airstream rally June 1-4 in your backyard, so you can go see and speak to MANY Airstreamers at your leasure, even attend their open house to see many old and new models. It is at Catherine's Landing Resort.
We live 3 miles from Catherine's Landing. Been there many times. I have prior obligations that weekend, but perhaps the wife can go check it out. Thanks for the heads up!
Old 05-25-2017, 12:33 PM   #21
4 Rivet Member

2016 27' Flying Cloud
Woodinville , Washington
In her prior marriage, my sweetie & her then husband had a 45 ft Prevost that contained about everything you could imagine except a standard basketball court and an olympic swimming pool. She says she found it "too much." Fifteen years later, when she and I wanted to get into camping with more than a tent, we began looking at ASs. Her post-shopping judgment: 25 was a little too little (and in particular, she didn't like the idea of the East/West bed, which she thought would be hard to make & to get out of in the middle of the night), 30 was a little too much (no real need for the dinette opposite the galley). We got a 27 FB. She's happy. We've put 25K miles on it beginning with the big AS Rally in WVA last July. After 25K miles, still no complaints.
"BigDog": M Harlequin Great Dane, 150 lb
WL7Z --- NAUI --- WSBA
Rgentum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-25-2017, 02:17 PM   #22
1 Rivet Member

Hot Springs , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyPete View Post
Tilly-

I feel you on maintaining a big coach, especially a Prevost. We had a Newmar DutchStar DP, and longed (at least I did) for a bus conversion, because we had several friends with them. Boy, I'm glad my wife was the voice of reason. Our production coach was $2-3k per year in maintenance and repairs, and I can't imagine what a real bus chassis costs.

I would venture to say that a '97 Prevost (even a Liberty) may not have a slide? If so, perhaps only one? Pretty rare in those days. If not, you're "gonna be fine" in an Airstream. They're 102" wide just like your coach, and you're used to that interior space width. As has been said above (great input all by the way), the storage will be what you'll miss. We took 2500 lbs of junk out of our basement when we switched to our 27fb twin Flying Cloud in late 2013, and haven't missed it in the smaller coach.

My advice based on what you're used to is to look at 30' Classics. High end interior fitments and systems, and they've even recently gone to hydronic heating........Pretty sweet. Your truck will do fine, but don't be surprised if you start getting Cummins envy. Based on the torque your Series 60 has (I'm assuming), you're gonna miss the grunt with the gas truck.

Hope this helps! And welcome to our version of Aluminitis!
Thanks for the thoughtful and informative reply!
Old 05-25-2017, 02:21 PM   #23
1 Rivet Member

Hot Springs , Arkansas
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

A lot of the decision depends on what you plan to do and how you used your MH. We never were into the "fix a 7 course meal while in motion" stuff. It always seemed a bit suicidal to us . Others seem to consider it perfectly normal. If "pack then go" is how you did it with the MH, the AS will be similar. If "pack on the go" was your approach, the AS will take a bit more time.

Size wise, spend some quality time talking through just what you would keep and how you would operate. Is this or that something that will be dearly missed? Go over to a dealer and spend time in the AS. Not just a few minutes, spend a few hours or maybe a few hours on a couple of days. How does the space feel to you? Small things may matter a lot. Is the shower big enough / can you deal with it? Can you see cooking in the kitchen the way it's laid out? What you want / need / like may or may not be present in this or that layout.

All that said, no, I don't miss the constant "here's another thing to fix" on the big MH. That even though it was't ours. It just happened to belong to some very good friends who would let us borrow it from time to time. Being friends, we spent a lot of time fixing this and that ...

Bob
We are the "pack then go" types. We never actually cook while going down the road, but making fresh coffee, sandwiches, snacks, etc., while rolling will be missed, I am sure. All good advice. Thanks!