Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 11-08-2012, 08:13 PM   #1

2012 27' Flying Cloud
Irvine , California
Thinking about a trip...

Hi, there!
Father of 2(13 year old son and 12 year old girl) and a husband.
Thinking about taking a year off to go on a trip(whole family trip).
Right now it's going to be a year in North America beginning summer 2013.
Currently living in Korea and will be going back to Ca next year for the trip and maybe a new life.

Love to have an Airstream for the trip.
Thanks, everyone for all the info! Will learn alot.
Need help in Korea? Let me know and I will find what I can do.

jack
ridingjack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 08:18 PM   #2
Commercial Member

2016 27' International
Currently Looking...
Wilton , California
Welcome to the Airforums ridingjack..

I too have dreamed about taking a year off and exploring the US in the airstream. We look forward to following along on your adventure. Any airstreams in Korea?

Vinnie

https://www.facebook.com/VinniesNort...ir?ref=tn_tnmn
Airslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:38 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Jack

If you can somehow figure out how to take a year off and travel with your family around north america, I would do it. No matter what it cost, it would be well worth it.

Every dollar I have ever spent traveling was worth it. I can't imagine taking a trip and saying, gosh I should not have gone on that trip and spent $500. Lets just say it has never happened.

Hope that you can make it happen. If so, write a blog about it.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2012, 09:48 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

1964 26' Overlander
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
Anna , Illinois
Send a message via Yahoo to overlander64
Powdercoat vs Painted Wheels?

Greetings Jack!

Welcome to the Forums and the world of Airstreaming!

Quote:
Originally Posted by ridingjack View Post
Hi, there!
Father of 2(13 year old son and 12 year old girl) and a husband.
Thinking about taking a year off to go on a trip(whole family trip).
Right now it's going to be a year in North America beginning summer 2013.
Currently living in Korea and will be going back to Ca next year for the trip and maybe a new life.

Love to have an Airstream for the trip.
Thanks, everyone for all the info! Will learn alot.
Need help in Korea? Let me know and I will find what I can do.

jack
Your project will certainly provide your children with an eviable learning experience. Learning about history, geography, and all of the people that they will meet will certainly provide experiences that could never be replicated in a traditional classroom. Others have done what you propose on a similar "short-term" basis, and there are others who have been full-timing for years with their families.

With your time frame, I am guessing that you are thinking either new or a very late model Airstream that will be ready to go immediately. Most of the new(er) Airstreams that are greater than 20' offer sleeping for four . . . but not every floor plan will have the type of accommodations that you might prefer. Among the more popular floorplans for the past several years are the front bedroom coaches . . . with these coaches there is a separate bedroom in the front of the coach that can have a pair of twin beds, a double bed, or an RV Queen size bed . . . the supplemental sleeping area varies by size of the coach . . . typically either a convertible dinette or a convertible lounge (in the largest coaches you might find a floorplan with both). Prior to the advent of the front bedroom floorplans, the typical coach had a rear bedroom with a front lounge that converted into a "double-bed" (again, the larger coaches might have a separate dinette that converts into a bed). For a time, there was a floor plan that was referred to as a six sleeper that provided three distinct sleeping areas; and there was also a floorplan referred to as a "bunkhouse" that also had three distinct sleeping areas. When you look at the vintage coaches that are more than 25-years old, you get into mostly rear bath floorplans where the main sleeping area is mid-coach and either two twins or one double-bed . . . the second sleeping area is typically a convertible lounge that makes a "double-bed".

Good luck with your investigation!

Kevin

P.S.: Try checking out Airstream Life. Several years ago, the publisher took his family on an extended journey touring the US in an Argosy that they called "Blue Thunder". You will likely discover some hints from their story.
WBCCI (Lifetime Member)/VAC #7864
AIR #827
1964 Overlander International
1978 Argosy Minuet 6.0 Metre
overlander64 is offline   Reply With Quote