Reply
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread Display Modes
 
Old 05-14-2015, 12:12 PM   #29
3 Rivet Member
 
NoNameinNM's Avatar

 
2016 28' International
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma800 View Post
Does anyone know the "price" of "a second a/c"? Like the airstream website never even mentions it's an option, much less an MSRP for the addition.

Also, what is the "comfort package" my dealer has listed on their website? I don't trust this place with numbers based on previous experience with them.
You can pull up a price sheet on the model you like at rvdirect.com (choose the option to build one), to see what the MSRP is on various packages. Not everything is shown there (we upgraded to the 16" Michelin tires and we wanted a custom awning color on the complete awnings package), but the standard options are there.

MSRP on the second AC is $2,121.

The comfort convenience package is standard and includes aluminum wheels, the spare tire bracket, electric hitch jack, Fantastic Fan, LP bottle cover, radio with speakers, TV antenna, reading lights, one air conditioner, the refrigerator, bedspread with pillow kit, range hood, patio awning, screen door guard, stoneguard, and wrap protectors.
__________________

NoNameinNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 12:42 PM   #30
Rivet Master
 
KJRitchie's Avatar
 
2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,302
I was looking at a Flying Cloud which are about $77k to $79k with options like inverter, microwave and awning package. Are you looking at an International?

Kelvin
__________________

KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 04:11 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member
 
Plasma800's Avatar
 
houston , Texas
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 403
Nope a flying cloud 25 with bed in the back and they have one with bed in the front, same price, same price sheet.

They list the comfort package at 6600 dollars, the second AC at 2200 putting the total MSRP at 85,9xx.

I called airstream directly, and they were like "Whaoah What Package?" I'm leaning to the side that this is just trumped up stuff by this particular dealer.

I was on the lot today, speaking with the 24 year old salesman, and I ask, "so what's included in the Comfort Package".....

"Well, you know.. upgraded stuff... granite counter tops...... uhhhhh... the second a/c.... I'd have to look it up."

"Well, the A/C is already listed apart, so that can't be it...."

"Uhhhh"
Plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 04:35 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member
 
Plasma800's Avatar
 
houston , Texas
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 403
I submitted through RV direct. After adding all the goodies, it came to MSRP of 82k

I'm really thinking in the end, the first number needs to be a 6.

While we were on the showroom, a women entered the airstream we were looking at, after the sales guy left, she said DONT BUY ONE, they leak, they are hot, we hate ours, we're here for service AGAIN. I was like Whooah... Unleash!
Plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 05:44 PM   #33
ShinyPete
 
ShinyPete's Avatar
 
2014 27' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
Join Date: Nov 2013
Posts: 396
We went through the same exercise as you are all summer and early fall in 2013. We looked at everything we could find to replace our aging 39' diesel pusher and the $3k+ per year in maintenance and repair costs. The big coaches are nice, but it is THE most expensive way to "camp" that we ever found.

We were looking to find a travel trailer under 30' that weighed under 7000 lbs (truly half-ton towable, not what it says on the sales slick) and one built as well as our Newmar class A. When your used to hung walls, real cherry cabinets, dual pane windows, tile floors, etc, etc, etc., that is a tall order. The only coach we looked at that was not built with glue-lam walls, a leak-prone rubber roof and particle board interior was the Airstream. Like you we were blown away with the airy feel inside thanks to the light colors and lots of windows. Our big coach was dark inside.........

This was a huge downsize for us, coming from a 39' coach with a 42" deep slideout, but we couldn't be happier with our Shiny Pete, a 2014 27fb Flying Cloud. We went with the twin beds, love them. We usually are out 10 nights or less, and we have grown accustomed to not sleeping together while in Pete, especially given the fact that the twins give you dressing room in the bedroom and two more outside storage doors.

We unloaded 2000 lbs (I weighed it) of stuff from inside that Dutchstar that we hauled around for 5 years and hardly used. We put back 420 lbs into Pete and leave everything we need for weeks on the road in the coach, only adding fresh food, a few clothes, and sundries when we get ready to leave. And we happily tow with a 1/2 ton with a ProPride hitch, all within specs. You're setup perfectly with a 3/4 ton D/A.

As far as the one owner who hates her Airstream, you're always gonna meet one. But remember, the haters are the loudest usually. You are talking about a hand built machine with like 2800 rivets (most of which take two people to install), and custom fitted everything inside the shell, and it ALL went in through that wonderful bank-vault door! Like everything else you buy new, you might have some things that need to be fixed, but that's what the TWO year warranty is for!

Yes Airstreams are not for everyone, but we wish we bought our Pete 3 rigs ago!!
ShinyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 06:42 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member
 
NoNameinNM's Avatar

 
2016 28' International
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma800 View Post
I submitted through RV direct. After adding all the goodies, it came to MSRP of 82k

I'm really thinking in the end, the first number needs to be a 6.
Did you just look at the MSRP or or request an actual quote from them? If the MSRP was $82k, the quote you receive via email will make you a lot happier. They will likely call you within another day or so after you receive the quote-- and the guy I spoke to was pleasant, helpful, and not at all pushy.

Our local dealer was actually pleased we'd gotten a price quote from rvdirect.com and also visited an out-of-state dealership because that meant we knew he was offering us a good price. It's probably a good practice in general-- dealers know and you know that you've got options about where to purchase your not-at-all inexpensive Airstream.
NoNameinNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 07:04 PM   #35
Rivet Master
 
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Suburbia , Sunny So Cal
Join Date: Jun 2006
Posts: 3,761
Business travel in an Airstream

Hi OP, I use our trailer for business travel fairly often. My employer loves paying $50ish a night for a space rather than $200ish for a hotel. I prefer my own bed, bath and kitchen.

If I'm going to Nevada or AZ and need to spend the night en route. I pull off the Fwy out in the desert and boondock. I don't urban boondock.

Its just planning on where you'll be at bedtime.

Since I tow with a suburban when I get where I'm going I just use it to get around. No problems since it fits in regular parking spaces and garages.
__________________
I'd rather be boon docking in the desert.

WBCCI 6731 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 08:15 AM   #36
4 Rivet Member
 
Plasma800's Avatar
 
houston , Texas
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyPete View Post
We went through the same exercise as you are all summer and early fall in 2013. We looked at everything we could find to replace our aging 39' diesel pusher and the $3k+ per year in maintenance and repair costs. The big coaches are nice, but it is THE most expensive way to "camp" that we ever found.

We were looking to find a travel trailer under 30' that weighed under 7000 lbs (truly half-ton towable, not what it says on the sales slick) and one built as well as our Newmar class A. When your used to hung walls, real cherry cabinets, dual pane windows, tile floors, etc, etc, etc., that is a tall order. The only coach we looked at that was not built with glue-lam walls, a leak-prone rubber roof and particle board interior was the Airstream. Like you we were blown away with the airy feel inside thanks to the light colors and lots of windows. Our big coach was dark inside.........

This was a huge downsize for us, coming from a 39' coach with a 42" deep slideout, but we couldn't be happier with our Shiny Pete, a 2014 27fb Flying Cloud. We went with the twin beds, love them. We usually are out 10 nights or less, and we have grown accustomed to not sleeping together while in Pete, especially given the fact that the twins give you dressing room in the bedroom and two more outside storage doors.

We unloaded 2000 lbs (I weighed it) of stuff from inside that Dutchstar that we hauled around for 5 years and hardly used. We put back 420 lbs into Pete and leave everything we need for weeks on the road in the coach, only adding fresh food, a few clothes, and sundries when we get ready to leave. And we happily tow with a 1/2 ton with a ProPride hitch, all within specs. You're setup perfectly with a 3/4 ton D/A.

As far as the one owner who hates her Airstream, you're always gonna meet one. But remember, the haters are the loudest usually. You are talking about a hand built machine with like 2800 rivets (most of which take two people to install), and custom fitted everything inside the shell, and it ALL went in through that wonderful bank-vault door! Like everything else you buy new, you might have some things that need to be fixed, but that's what the TWO year warranty is for!

Yes Airstreams are not for everyone, but we wish we bought our Pete 3 rigs ago!!
Yeah I'm with you on this. She seemed a bit bitter, and maybe it was all her husbands idea to sell their house and full time, and she always hated the idea... you just never know what leads someone to say something like this ya know? Thanks for the vote of confidence! I'm back and forth on the 25 vs 27 vs queen vs twins......
Plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 08:17 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member
 
Plasma800's Avatar
 
houston , Texas
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNameinNM View Post
Did you just look at the MSRP or or request an actual quote from them? If the MSRP was $82k, the quote you receive via email will make you a lot happier. They will likely call you within another day or so after you receive the quote-- and the guy I spoke to was pleasant, helpful, and not at all pushy.

Our local dealer was actually pleased we'd gotten a price quote from rvdirect.com and also visited an out-of-state dealership because that meant we knew he was offering us a good price. It's probably a good practice in general-- dealers know and you know that you've got options about where to purchase your not-at-all inexpensive Airstream.
Yeah I submitted, and received a quote in my inbox that was VERY pleasing. I still can't honestly tell you if I WANT to buy from my local dealer based on reviews online of them no matter what price they give me.
Plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 08:18 AM   #38
4 Rivet Member
 
Plasma800's Avatar
 
houston , Texas
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping View Post
Hi OP, I use our trailer for business travel fairly often. My employer loves paying $50ish a night for a space rather than $200ish for a hotel. I prefer my own bed, bath and kitchen.

If I'm going to Nevada or AZ and need to spend the night en route. I pull off the Fwy out in the desert and boondock. I don't urban boondock.

Its just planning on where you'll be at bedtime.

Since I tow with a suburban when I get where I'm going I just use it to get around. No problems since it fits in regular parking spaces and garages.
Perfect! there you go.
Plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 08:38 AM   #39
Rivet Master
 
KJRitchie's Avatar
 
2008 25' Classic
Wichita Falls , Texas
Join Date: Nov 2012
Posts: 4,302
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma800 View Post
Yeah I submitted, and received a quote in my inbox that was VERY pleasing. I still can't honestly tell you if I WANT to buy from my local dealer based on reviews online of them no matter what price they give me.
Camper Clinic 2 in Buda, TX has a FC 25fb with dual AC $80k. The photos show the 2 ACs on it.

Have you contacted them. Not far from Houston.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 11:15 AM   #40
3 Rivet Member
 
NoNameinNM's Avatar

 
2016 28' International
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Join Date: Jan 2005
Posts: 122
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma800 View Post
Yeah I submitted, and received a quote in my inbox that was VERY pleasing. I still can't honestly tell you if I WANT to buy from my local dealer based on reviews online of them no matter what price they give me.
That is a very big deal! Fortunately, there are plenty of choices in Texas alone, and you'll find lots of folks here who traveled cross-country to purchase theirs.
NoNameinNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 12:33 PM   #41
4 Rivet Member
 
Plasma800's Avatar
 
houston , Texas
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 403
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Camper Clinic 2 in Buda, TX has a FC 25fb with dual AC $80k. The photos show the 2 ACs on it.

Have you contacted them. Not far from Houston.

Kelvin
Not yet but I will today. Now that I know what CAN be done, I know where to aim. I don't exactly feel like driving to Orlando to pick one up. Plus i would like to go on and get it instead of waiting.
Plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 12:38 PM   #42
4 Rivet Member
 
Plasma800's Avatar
 
houston , Texas
Join Date: May 2015
Posts: 403
Boo they are both front beds. We are thinking rear bed only because of how the lounge is flipped. I like to "lounge" on one hip over the other. And the rear bed accomplishes that nicely *i think*
__________________

Plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
What were they thinkin? flitzwhopper All Argosy Trailers 4 11-30-2006 10:00 PM


Featured Campgrounds

Reviews provided by

Disclaimer:

This website is not affiliated with or endorsed by the Airstream, Inc. or any of its affiliates. Airstream is a registered trademark of Airstream Inc. All rights reserved. Airstream trademark used under license to Social Knowledge LLC.




Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -6. The time now is 01:49 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.8 Beta 1
Copyright ©2000 - 2018, Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd.