Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-14-2015, 08:34 AM   #21
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
Be advised that even with a 25 Airstream, the trailer is 26' + tow vehicle 20' or more you will have a combined length of at least 46'.

Were you towing a small car with the motorhome?

Kelvin
Oh yeah. I think maybe you all are misunderstanding me.

As far as length goes, the Bus plus car and tow hitch was 65 feet combined. But there's more to the story. Not only are you 65 feet, which was never really the problem, you're also 13 feet tall and 9 feet wide. You're also at over 24,000 lbs. It's like driving a city bus with worse suspension. Also, you can't back up. Twice I got "stuck" turning down a road with no outlet or low clearance, and sometimes if you were at an angle either right to left, or rear end up or down, it was almost impossible to get that car off cause it was bound up.

So let's remember, I started out looking at 25 to 28 foot Class C motohorhomes. In a 25 footer, I couldn't tow my current car, I'd have to trade for a smart car or something. A 28 footer on a ford chassis (ugly front end) I could tow my current car. But even then, I'm still RV + Car at 28 + 16 feet + hitch.

Driving the bus combo literally FEELS huge. The thing rolls, and rocks, and you gotta ease it into places, and god forbid a tire blow on you at speed.

With a 25 airstream, this combo is more like pulling my boat. Matter of fact it would defeat the length of my boat plus truck by 1 foot and some change... and that's never ever felt like a big monstrous thing to me.
Plasma800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 09:04 AM   #22
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I understand now. You mentioned 40' on your motorhome so I was assuming 40' was a future purchase you wanted to keep under in length.

Kelvin
KJRitchie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 09:16 AM   #23
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Well, in truth, my thought is the smaller the better, but there is a point where too small is too small. The 25 seems to be that perfect middle ground between livability and size.

I wish 2014's had ducted air, cause I'm finding some really good prices on some 2014's.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:25 AM   #24
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I went to look at 2015 25RB at a local dealer to me about a month ago. The unit was sold but the salesman let me look inside. He volunteered the selling price, $63k ($77k MSRP). A 2015 with ducted air is a big improvement over a 2014.

Kelvin
Old 05-14-2015, 09:28 AM   #25
Free Range Human

2012 25' FB Flying Cloud
Currently Looking...
Haines , Oregon
Quote:
Originally Posted by Plasma800 View Post
Well, in truth, my thought is the smaller the better, but there is a point where too small is too small. The 25 seems to be that perfect middle ground between livability and size.

I wish 2014's had ducted air, cause I'm finding some really good prices on some 2014's.
We have a Flying Cloud 25' FB, and I like it. It is the perfect compromise, but if I were to do it again, I think it would be the 27'. Just to get a north south orientation on the bed. I also think I can get a 27' into any of the places we've taken the current trailer.

With respect to the 2014, how much is that ducted air worth? You might be better off with a second AC if your travels are mostly in the south.
Drathaar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 09:45 AM   #26
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJRitchie View Post
I went to look at 2015 25RB at a local dealer to me about a month ago. The unit was sold but the salesman let me look inside. He volunteered the selling price, $63k ($77k MSRP). A 2015 with ducted air is a big improvement over a 2014.

Kelvin
So then why does my local dealer say the MSRP is 83k .........

I figured it might have been the second A/C, but can't confirm it's even installed. I would LOVE to be in the 63k range on purchase!!!!!!!!!!! That's a huge difference.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:50 AM   #27
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Does anyone know the "price" of "a second a/c"? Like the airstream website never even mentions it's an option, much less an MSRP for the addition.

Also, what is the "comfort package" my dealer has listed on their website? I don't trust this place with numbers based on previous experience with them.
Old 05-14-2015, 09:50 AM   #28
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
I stand corrected, they have the MSRP at 85,947!!!!!!!!!!!!!

They would also be my only service center within 200 miles of me.
Old 05-14-2015, 11:12 AM   #29
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
Does anyone know the "price" of "a second a/c"? Like the airstream website never even mentions it's an option, much less an MSRP for the addition.

Also, what is the "comfort package" my dealer has listed on their website? I don't trust this place with numbers based on previous experience with them.
You can pull up a price sheet on the model you like at rvdirect.com (choose the option to build one), to see what the MSRP is on various packages. Not everything is shown there (we upgraded to the 16" Michelin tires and we wanted a custom awning color on the complete awnings package), but the standard options are there.

MSRP on the second AC is $2,121.

The comfort convenience package is standard and includes aluminum wheels, the spare tire bracket, electric hitch jack, Fantastic Fan, LP bottle cover, radio with speakers, TV antenna, reading lights, one air conditioner, the refrigerator, bedspread with pillow kit, range hood, patio awning, screen door guard, stoneguard, and wrap protectors.
NoNameinNM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 11:42 AM   #30
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
I was looking at a Flying Cloud which are about $77k to $79k with options like inverter, microwave and awning package. Are you looking at an International?

Kelvin
Old 05-14-2015, 03:11 PM   #31
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Nope a flying cloud 25 with bed in the back and they have one with bed in the front, same price, same price sheet.

They list the comfort package at 6600 dollars, the second AC at 2200 putting the total MSRP at 85,9xx.

I called airstream directly, and they were like "Whaoah What Package?" I'm leaning to the side that this is just trumped up stuff by this particular dealer.

I was on the lot today, speaking with the 24 year old salesman, and I ask, "so what's included in the Comfort Package".....

"Well, you know.. upgraded stuff... granite counter tops...... uhhhhh... the second a/c.... I'd have to look it up."

"Well, the A/C is already listed apart, so that can't be it...."

"Uhhhh"
Old 05-14-2015, 03:35 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
I submitted through RV direct. After adding all the goodies, it came to MSRP of 82k

I'm really thinking in the end, the first number needs to be a 6.

While we were on the showroom, a women entered the airstream we were looking at, after the sales guy left, she said DONT BUY ONE, they leak, they are hot, we hate ours, we're here for service AGAIN. I was like Whooah... Unleash!
Old 05-14-2015, 04:44 PM   #33
ShinyPete

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Bushnell , Florida
We went through the same exercise as you are all summer and early fall in 2013. We looked at everything we could find to replace our aging 39' diesel pusher and the $3k+ per year in maintenance and repair costs. The big coaches are nice, but it is THE most expensive way to "camp" that we ever found.

We were looking to find a travel trailer under 30' that weighed under 7000 lbs (truly half-ton towable, not what it says on the sales slick) and one built as well as our Newmar class A. When your used to hung walls, real cherry cabinets, dual pane windows, tile floors, etc, etc, etc., that is a tall order. The only coach we looked at that was not built with glue-lam walls, a leak-prone rubber roof and particle board interior was the Airstream. Like you we were blown away with the airy feel inside thanks to the light colors and lots of windows. Our big coach was dark inside.........

This was a huge downsize for us, coming from a 39' coach with a 42" deep slideout, but we couldn't be happier with our Shiny Pete, a 2014 27fb Flying Cloud. We went with the twin beds, love them. We usually are out 10 nights or less, and we have grown accustomed to not sleeping together while in Pete, especially given the fact that the twins give you dressing room in the bedroom and two more outside storage doors.

We unloaded 2000 lbs (I weighed it) of stuff from inside that Dutchstar that we hauled around for 5 years and hardly used. We put back 420 lbs into Pete and leave everything we need for weeks on the road in the coach, only adding fresh food, a few clothes, and sundries when we get ready to leave. And we happily tow with a 1/2 ton with a ProPride hitch, all within specs. You're setup perfectly with a 3/4 ton D/A.

As far as the one owner who hates her Airstream, you're always gonna meet one. But remember, the haters are the loudest usually. You are talking about a hand built machine with like 2800 rivets (most of which take two people to install), and custom fitted everything inside the shell, and it ALL went in through that wonderful bank-vault door! Like everything else you buy new, you might have some things that need to be fixed, but that's what the TWO year warranty is for!

Yes Airstreams are not for everyone, but we wish we bought our Pete 3 rigs ago!!
ShinyPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2015, 05:42 PM   #34
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
I submitted through RV direct. After adding all the goodies, it came to MSRP of 82k

I'm really thinking in the end, the first number needs to be a 6.
Did you just look at the MSRP or or request an actual quote from them? If the MSRP was $82k, the quote you receive via email will make you a lot happier. They will likely call you within another day or so after you receive the quote-- and the guy I spoke to was pleasant, helpful, and not at all pushy.

Our local dealer was actually pleased we'd gotten a price quote from rvdirect.com and also visited an out-of-state dealership because that meant we knew he was offering us a good price. It's probably a good practice in general-- dealers know and you know that you've got options about where to purchase your not-at-all inexpensive Airstream.
Old 05-14-2015, 06:04 PM   #35
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
Business travel in an Airstream

Hi OP, I use our trailer for business travel fairly often. My employer loves paying $50ish a night for a space rather than $200ish for a hotel. I prefer my own bed, bath and kitchen.

If I'm going to Nevada or AZ and need to spend the night en route. I pull off the Fwy out in the desert and boondock. I don't urban boondock.

Its just planning on where you'll be at bedtime.

Since I tow with a suburban when I get where I'm going I just use it to get around. No problems since it fits in regular parking spaces and garages.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2015, 07:15 AM   #36
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinyPete View Post
We went through the same exercise as you are all summer and early fall in 2013. We looked at everything we could find to replace our aging 39' diesel pusher and the $3k+ per year in maintenance and repair costs. The big coaches are nice, but it is THE most expensive way to "camp" that we ever found.

We were looking to find a travel trailer under 30' that weighed under 7000 lbs (truly half-ton towable, not what it says on the sales slick) and one built as well as our Newmar class A. When your used to hung walls, real cherry cabinets, dual pane windows, tile floors, etc, etc, etc., that is a tall order. The only coach we looked at that was not built with glue-lam walls, a leak-prone rubber roof and particle board interior was the Airstream. Like you we were blown away with the airy feel inside thanks to the light colors and lots of windows. Our big coach was dark inside.........

This was a huge downsize for us, coming from a 39' coach with a 42" deep slideout, but we couldn't be happier with our Shiny Pete, a 2014 27fb Flying Cloud. We went with the twin beds, love them. We usually are out 10 nights or less, and we have grown accustomed to not sleeping together while in Pete, especially given the fact that the twins give you dressing room in the bedroom and two more outside storage doors.

We unloaded 2000 lbs (I weighed it) of stuff from inside that Dutchstar that we hauled around for 5 years and hardly used. We put back 420 lbs into Pete and leave everything we need for weeks on the road in the coach, only adding fresh food, a few clothes, and sundries when we get ready to leave. And we happily tow with a 1/2 ton with a ProPride hitch, all within specs. You're setup perfectly with a 3/4 ton D/A.

As far as the one owner who hates her Airstream, you're always gonna meet one. But remember, the haters are the loudest usually. You are talking about a hand built machine with like 2800 rivets (most of which take two people to install), and custom fitted everything inside the shell, and it ALL went in through that wonderful bank-vault door! Like everything else you buy new, you might have some things that need to be fixed, but that's what the TWO year warranty is for!

Yes Airstreams are not for everyone, but we wish we bought our Pete 3 rigs ago!!
Yeah I'm with you on this. She seemed a bit bitter, and maybe it was all her husbands idea to sell their house and full time, and she always hated the idea... you just never know what leads someone to say something like this ya know? Thanks for the vote of confidence! I'm back and forth on the 25 vs 27 vs queen vs twins......
Old 05-15-2015, 07:17 AM   #37
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by NoNameinNM View Post
Did you just look at the MSRP or or request an actual quote from them? If the MSRP was $82k, the quote you receive via email will make you a lot happier. They will likely call you within another day or so after you receive the quote-- and the guy I spoke to was pleasant, helpful, and not at all pushy.

Our local dealer was actually pleased we'd gotten a price quote from rvdirect.com and also visited an out-of-state dealership because that meant we knew he was offering us a good price. It's probably a good practice in general-- dealers know and you know that you've got options about where to purchase your not-at-all inexpensive Airstream.
Yeah I submitted, and received a quote in my inbox that was VERY pleasing. I still can't honestly tell you if I WANT to buy from my local dealer based on reviews online of them no matter what price they give me.
Old 05-15-2015, 07:18 AM   #38
4 Rivet Member

houston , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goin camping View Post
Hi OP, I use our trailer for business travel fairly often. My employer loves paying $50ish a night for a space rather than $200ish for a hotel. I prefer my own bed, bath and kitchen.

If I'm going to Nevada or AZ and need to spend the night en route. I pull off the Fwy out in the desert and boondock. I don't urban boondock.

Its just planning on where you'll be at bedtime.

Since I tow with a suburban when I get where I'm going I just use it to get around. No problems since it fits in regular parking spaces and garages.
Perfect! there you go.
Old 05-15-2015, 07:38 AM   #39
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Full Time , Texas
Quote:
Yeah I submitted, and received a quote in my inbox that was VERY pleasing. I still can't honestly tell you if I WANT to buy from my local dealer based on reviews online of them no matter what price they give me.
Camper Clinic 2 in Buda, TX has a FC 25fb with dual AC $80k. The photos show the 2 ACs on it.

Have you contacted them. Not far from Houston.

Kelvin
Old 05-15-2015, 10:15 AM   #40
3 Rivet Member

2016 28' International
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Quote:
That is a very big deal! Fortunately, there are plenty of choices in Texas alone, and you'll find lots of folks here who traveled cross-country to purchase theirs.