Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 10-12-2017, 10:21 AM   #1
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
The time is nigh

My Airstream arrived at the dealer yesterday and now it's waiting for them to do their inspections and so on. The waiting is even harder now!!

Any tips, suggestions, or advice? I'll be trying to be as diligent and hard nosed as I can as the prospective owner but it is my first Trailer. And on my own so want to be as prudent as I can...

What are my options/rights here, what can I expect or demand and when does the situation change?

Meaning —is it until I take possession /sign papers that I need to be expecting all things fixed etc etc ?
This kind of angle is where my inexperience is most apparent to me, consumer rights/how to get what is proper and not get hoodwinked... I know there's a lot of experience here, good and bad.

Thanks folks, will go back to look again as well for other tips..

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
wave man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 11:05 AM   #2
Fly Navy and Beat Army!

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
St Peters , Missouri
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f353...ns-162273.html

Some information in this thread may help!

Squire
Fly Navy and Beat Army
Squire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 11:34 AM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by wave man View Post
What are my options/rights here, what can I expect or demand and when does the situation change?
During the walk-through inspection and orientation, if there is anything that doesn't work, is missing, or even just has cosmetic damage, you are entitled to have it fixed at no cost to you. If it's something that can't be addressed right away due to lack of parts, etc. then you should get an "IOU" signed by the dealer that says they'll fix it when the parts arrive, at no cost to you. Handy hint, do the inspection before you finalize the paperwork.

But you need to be diligent. Once you accept delivery from the dealer, then anything that is found to be sub-par thereafter has to be addressed as warranty work.

Also, you should get a care package from the dealer, that includes the shore power cord, a slinky for sewer discharge, with appropriate adapters, a full set of manuals for all installed components, a fresh water hose, a package of RV toilet paper, an adapter to let you plug into 15amp outlets, a set of bedding for your oddly-shaped RV mattresses, fully charged house batteries, and full propane cylinders. In theory, at least, when you receive the trailer, it should be ready to use, lacking only clothing and food for your first trip. Hold out for an assortment of fuses as part of the care package, if you can. While you're learning the systems, you may blow a fuse or two, and nothing will ruin your first trip like a blown fuse with no spares handy.

With regard to the manuals, go over the manual set, and whenever they demonstrate an appliance, pull out the manual for it. If the manual is missing, ask for it, right then and there. Then set the manual aside before moving on to the next appliance. If you have any manuals left over that you haven't been shown the appliance it goes with, then ask the dealer to demonstrate that appliance. That way, when it's all over, you know you have all the the manuals you need, and you know you've been shown all of the installed appliances.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:37 AM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Are you having second thoughts about buying the trailer? If so, back out now.

In general, running through all the systems with a "camp overnight" in the dealer's lot is a pretty good idea. Run through all the systems and verify yourself that they work. If you find things that need tweaks, figure out what to do from there. You likely will be back for this or that at some point over the next two years .....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 02:40 PM   #5
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
Thank you SQUIRE, I appreciate it, my ability to conduct searches has always been wierdly pathetic.... =(

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
Old 10-12-2017, 02:44 PM   #6
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
Thank you Protagonist, this is some great stuff, and I needed to hear it.

Old 10-12-2017, 02:47 PM   #7
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
Wink !

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Are you having second thoughts about buying the trailer? If so, back out now.

Bob
Not a chance!
More like wedding night jitters

Old 10-12-2017, 04:25 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
Look. At. Everything.

I'm certain they'll try to rush you through, but take time to put your fingers and eyeballs on every seem, screw, rivet, washer, lever, knob, switch, pull, outlet, inlet, socket, handle, gauge, dial, hinge, catch, cushion, spigot, crank, lug (and whatever else I've forgotten). Bring a lunch and lots of fluids. Hook up, set up, flush, fill and empty. I imagine you just dropped some serious coin and really just want to be on your way with a load of, "I'll figure it out", but that's what they want from you too. With so many stories of new AS's being delivered with major issues, the best way to combat this is for the consumer to be super dilegent during pickup. If enough people raise the issue at this point, the manufacturer will get an earful from the dealers. Don't settle! You paid a premium for what should be a premium product when unfortunately, all too often, it's not. If something doesn't look or feel right, it's probably wrong. These dealers aren't so different from car salesman, who by and large, are fairly slithery.
Be calm, be patient, be vigilant. If in doubt, see if you can wrangle some lifelines via FaceTime (I'm down, PM me) so you do a walk through in real time with an angel on your shoulder as it were.

I get the cult of Airstream, they are amazing, but so does airstream and they live in a "profit is king" world and they are banking on your glazed eyes and thick wallet. Grab your Visine and get your money's worth... while doing future cultists a small favor in the process.

I wish you the best of experiences...

Sincerely,
Ian

(Sitting on my tailgate with an Airstream, an Avion and a Silverstreak in view)
Iansk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 04:56 PM   #9
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
In my opinion, all this conversation is absurd....
You're buying a hundred thousand plus dollar product.
It should be presented to you in absolutely perfect condition.
I can't understand people suggesting we as the end consumer do the work in making the product perfect.
As we continue to allow poorly assembled garbage to enter the market, we allow manufacturers to continue to supply consumers with crap.
It is new, and should be perfect, agreeable, this is what the company makes, not heart valves, not pizza, not lipstick.
If they can't provide perfection, simply lower the price to match equal competition.
There is no better quality in an AS than any other trailer. All the appliances, electronics etc are the same.... The only thing proprietary is the name and shape, all else can be bought at an RV store.
Make it perfect then give me a call when it's ready..... Don't expect me to do the work for you!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 05:05 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2018 27' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Our experience was awesome. Camped overnight in it prior to delivery. Small scuff in the countertop was fixed prior to taking it home. Found one missing item that was ordered and is now waiting for us to pick up at the dealer.

Enjoy your delivery. Don't go in "armed for bear". Hopefully your dealer is as good as ours was. We even met some really cool people and a little Airstream party broke out the night before delivery.

Tow Vehicle: 2020 F-350 6.7L Diesel
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 05:27 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Lakeland , Florida
When we took possession, we went in with a smile, signed the paperwork after taking a quick look at the trailer and the person doing the delivery took all the time we wanted and showed us everything. He gave us his personal cell phone number, telling us to call anytime if we forgot anything or had a problem.

Whole thing took a couple of hours and was flawless.

Good times. I am a member of the cult, now.
BCC1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 07:11 PM   #12
Opinionated newb...

2018 25' Flying Cloud
League City , TX
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicNo13 View Post
In my opinion, all this conversation is absurd....
You're buying a hundred thousand plus dollar product.
It should be presented to you in absolutely perfect condition.
I can't understand people suggesting we as the end consumer do the work in making the product perfect.
As we continue to allow poorly assembled garbage to enter the market, we allow manufacturers to continue to supply consumers with crap.
It is new, and should be perfect, agreeable, this is what the company makes, not heart valves, not pizza, not lipstick.
If they can't provide perfection, simply lower the price to match equal competition.
There is no better quality in an AS than any other trailer. All the appliances, electronics etc are the same.... The only thing proprietary is the name and shape, all else can be bought at an RV store.
Make it perfect then give me a call when it's ready..... Don't expect me to do the work for you!
A valid viewpoint and frankly a healthy stance I think we ought to try to take..or move towards at least..you are right

Old 10-12-2017, 07:34 PM   #13

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
As buyers, no one has more incentive to do a thorough inspection before signing on the dotted line than we do.

Yes, we should expect perfection. That's what we pay for. But that doesn't mean we should assume perfection. As the saying goes, "Trust but verify."
Old 10-12-2017, 07:51 PM   #14
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
I guess my point was this...
If we accept junk, they will produce it. If they know we won't stand for anything other than delivered perfection, they will deliver that!
AtomicNo13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 08:10 PM   #15

2012 Interstate Coach
Quote:
If we accept junk, they will produce it. If they know we won't stand for anything other than delivered perfection, they will deliver that!
I accept that point, and agree with it. It's just that you hid that point behind the opening line of:
Quote:
In my opinion, all this conversation is absurd...
Which opening line doesn't exactly support the point. The point you seemed to make was, "Don't bother me with an inspection of my new trailer. Just call me when it's done, and I'll come get it." Which is a point I don't agree with.

Airstream is responsible for performing QC, Quality Control. The goal of any QC program should be zero defects, but that goal is unattainable in the real world, especially at a company that closes down its assembly lines for the weekend. "Finished on a Monday" is a real stigma for one out of every five Airstream trailers.

But even though Airstream presumably does QC, the buyer has an obligation to do his or her own QA, Quality Assurance. Hence the joint inspection before delivery, to develop a punch-list of items that slipped past QC and need to be fixed before delivery. QA is the buyer's responsibility for virtually any contracted product, not just for Airstreams.

And for those (hopefully but not necessarily rare) occasions when a defect manages to slip past both QC and QA, that's what warranties are for.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:39 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
Um... huh?

Quote:
It appears that you missed the point I was making.
Though what you said above, was exactly my point.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:55 PM   #17
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Make sure to have them get you a blanket and look under the unit, also a ladder to look on roof. Check rv it’s, caulking, fit, etc. Also, check how door closes and seals, be very thorough on the door check and seal.

In my 2017 23D, it has been pretty solid. We sent 4 hours going over it, and it was close to perfect. Once we started using it, noticed a few cosmetic issues that were easily resolved. However, the door was way out of alignment, and you could only notice a gap in top by closely looking and if sun was shinning right angle. This was a tough fix and took over three weeks in the dealer, back and forth on phone with JC.

Also, don’t let them tell you its winterized, hook it to water and check that well, then have them re-winterize.

Take your time, look in every door and latch, lay down, check all angles and views. Have them fix anything you are not happy with. Who’re you leave...

Also, check alignment on awning locks and closures, make sure they open and close it, and make sure it all works flawlessly.
Old 10-12-2017, 09:58 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
If it were me who was shelling out whatever insane amount to realize a dream, I'd certainly go in armed with all the ammo I could muster. If you've read these forums long enough, you've undoubtedly read many tales of extremely shoddy new Airstreams coming off the line.
Sure, they "should" be perfect, but Wally is long gone and perhaps that's why it seems that renovation is the new innovation when it comes to Airstreams.
Personally, I'd rather be "that guy" at the dealer who insists that all is right before I sign and drive off, then the guy who has to tow my coach back to wade in the mire of warranty work while I could be out enjoying life in my aluminum tube.
Old 10-12-2017, 10:00 PM   #19

2012 Interstate Coach
Depending on the temperature when you do your walk-through, you may find that the dealer wants to demonstrate the A/C but not the furnace, or the furnace but not the A/C. If it's cold out, run the furnace long enough to warm it up inside, then run the A/C long enough to cool it back down. Vice versa if it's hot when you do the walk-through.
Old 10-12-2017, 11:24 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Bring an electric circuit tester that will also test the GFI circuits (Lowe’s or Home Depot). Make sure every outlet is operational. GFI is mandatory near both sinks and the outlet curb side above the wheel well. If there is an inverter, verify the blue taged outlets actually work off of the battery system.

Usually the outside access storage areas have a poorly placed light. Make sure it is operational in each compartment. Hanging clothes closets may have a light as well. If there is a slide dimmer for a large area, make sure it works. Make sure every light bulb you can see works.

Pull the safety wire on the safety brake breakaway switch and listen to hear if the brakes operate.

Bring a high quality tire gage to ensure correct pressure in the road tires as well as the spare. If the trailer was trucked rather than towed to the dealership, then have a torque wrench with you to verify the wheel torques at 25, 50 and 100 miles. That three point check should be done every time a wheel comes on and off the trailer. Most safety conscious folks check both tire pressures and wheel torque before every trip.

Make sure the television(s) and DVD player operate along with the radio system. The sound system has been a major frustration source for most customers and the sound system manuals are written where English is not the major language. Make sure sound comes out of both front and rear speakers. Try and get a local TV station as well as local radio station. Ask where the connections are to add a future XM/Sirius radio interface if desired.

Find out if there is an adjustable thermostat for the refrigerator and where it is located.

Make sure all three gas burners light as wells the oven. Boil some water in the microwave, if installed.

Test that the fridge runs on both propane and electricity as well as the water heater. Check that the range hood fan and light work. Have them show you the clamps that keep the range hood exhaust fan flap closed when going down the road. Test the grill propane gas valve at the front of the trailer.

Make sure all the external lights operate both above the door or step, above the dump valves and on the curb side of the coach (if installed).

Make sure the one or two ceiling fans have multiple speeds and perhaps reverse flow. Make sure the bathroom exhaust fan works.

Find out where the water pump and filter are located. They are usually hidden. Find out the access point to access the water heater bypass valves for winterization.

Have a demo of getting the spare tire out of it's storage location as it not easy processes.

Make sure the key locks to all external latches work and that the doors close tightly.

Make sure the sky light blinds work as well as the vista view blinds. Have them open and close each window while you watch. Make sure both latches actually pull the window in against the gasket. The glass may stick to the gasket, so carry an expired credit card to use as a slide to slide between the glass and rubber gasket to free up the window.

Have a good understanding of the location of the emergency escape window location and consider how you would get through the opening and handle the fall to the ground.

Get an extra set or two of the two main door keys and carry them on a caribeaner attached to your pants belt loop every time you exit the trailer. The main doors have been known to self-lock if they inadvertently close from a gust of wind.... Verify the main door locks work from the inside and in fact lock the door from inside and have someone try to open the door.

Check all modes of the thermostat(s). With the furnace running, check that hot air comes out of each hot air duct vent. Then do that for the ceiling air conditioning. Find out where the cold air filters are located in the ceiling and how to access them for cleaning.

When the water heater is on, make sure the hot water comes out of each sink faucet with the proper handle position and test the shower (use a bucket for the shower water) as well.

Make sure water comes into the toilet bowl when the lever is depressed. Make sure the residual water above the closed toilet valve stays constant for a few minutes.

Fill each sink with water with the stopper closed and then open the stopper to ensure good drainage. Listen to where the water goes. Pour the shower test water down the shower drain to be sure it is working properly as well.

Test that each circuit breaker actually works by putting the tester into sockets to be sure power goes off when the breaker is opened. Do this for the other appliances as well.

Ask for a ladder to see the roof. Look at the skylight bases and fan bases and try to see if there are any cracks in the plastic flange from over tightening the screws (major source of leaks that may show up just after the warranty expires).

Make sure every cabinet catch works as well any support pistons for roof lockers.

Check that the cold water filter is installed under the kitchen sink and have them point it out to you and how to access it to replace it.

Look underneath the trailer to be sure the fasteners are in place for the black sewer hose storage tube, the supports for the copper gas line are in place and there are no tears or damage to the belly of the trailer. Notice the openings from the bottom of the trailer. Brass wool (think of steel wool as to appearance) can be used to plug the holes (since it won't rust) to stop critters from getting into the bottom of the trailer. Make sure all the fold up step fasteners are tight. Make sure the lid in the rear bumper storage for the sewer hose and tools and be opened and closed.

Make sure the smoke detector works along with the propane gas detector. Check if there is a CO2 detector as well.

Have them show how to take the cover off of the propane tanks and gain access to the valves. Get an explanation and demo of the tank sector valve (it may be automatic with red/green displays showing status).

Check that the battery connections feel tight.

If there is a dinette, demo putting the dining table down to make a bed. Make sure all the cushions are there to make the bed.

From our experience with three new Airstreams, I suggest a brass 2" x 4" plate be installed below the dinette leg so it does not wear a hole in the linoleum.

If a factory solar system is installed verify it’s operation as well.

After connecting to the tow vehicle, make sure all the lights work. Hitting the flasher button will usually test both brake and turn signal bulbs in the tail lights. Make sure all the clearance lights come on with the tow vehicle headlights.

Hope this helps.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic w/ twin beds, 50 amp service, 1000 watt solar system, Centramatics, Tuson TPMS, 12" disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote