Old 10-12-2017, 11:21 AM   #1
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Tx
The time is nigh

My Airstream arrived at the dealer yesterday and now it's waiting for them to do their inspections and so on. The waiting is even harder now!!

Any tips, suggestions, or advice? I'll be trying to be as diligent and hard nosed as I can as the prospective owner but it is my first Trailer. And on my own so want to be as prudent as I can...

What are my options/rights here, what can I expect or demand and when does the situation change?

Meaning —is it until I take possession /sign papers that I need to be expecting all things fixed etc etc ?
This kind of angle is where my inexperience is most apparent to me, consumer rights/how to get what is proper and not get hoodwinked... I know there's a lot of experience here, good and bad.

Thanks folks, will go back to look again as well for other tips..

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
wave man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 12:05 PM   #2
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
St Peters , Missouri
http://www.airforums.com/forums/f353...ns-162273.html

Some information in this thread may help!

Squire
Fly Navy and Beat Army

Old 10-12-2017, 12:34 PM   #3
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by wave man View Post
What are my options/rights here, what can I expect or demand and when does the situation change?
During the walk-through inspection and orientation, if there is anything that doesn't work, is missing, or even just has cosmetic damage, you are entitled to have it fixed at no cost to you. If it's something that can't be addressed right away due to lack of parts, etc. then you should get an "IOU" signed by the dealer that says they'll fix it when the parts arrive, at no cost to you. Handy hint, do the inspection before you finalize the paperwork.

But you need to be diligent. Once you accept delivery from the dealer, then anything that is found to be sub-par thereafter has to be addressed as warranty work.

Also, you should get a care package from the dealer, that includes the shore power cord, a slinky for sewer discharge, with appropriate adapters, a full set of manuals for all installed components, a fresh water hose, a package of RV toilet paper, an adapter to let you plug into 15amp outlets, a set of bedding for your oddly-shaped RV mattresses, fully charged house batteries, and full propane cylinders. In theory, at least, when you receive the trailer, it should be ready to use, lacking only clothing and food for your first trip. Hold out for an assortment of fuses as part of the care package, if you can. While you're learning the systems, you may blow a fuse or two, and nothing will ruin your first trip like a blown fuse with no spares handy.

With regard to the manuals, go over the manual set, and whenever they demonstrate an appliance, pull out the manual for it. If the manual is missing, ask for it, right then and there. Then set the manual aside before moving on to the next appliance. If you have any manuals left over that you haven't been shown the appliance it goes with, then ask the dealer to demonstrate that appliance. That way, when it's all over, you know you have all the the manuals you need, and you know you've been shown all of the installed appliances.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 12:37 PM   #4
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Are you having second thoughts about buying the trailer? If so, back out now.

In general, running through all the systems with a "camp overnight" in the dealer's lot is a pretty good idea. Run through all the systems and verify yourself that they work. If you find things that need tweaks, figure out what to do from there. You likely will be back for this or that at some point over the next two years .....

Bob
Old 10-12-2017, 03:40 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Tx
Thank you SQUIRE, I appreciate it, my ability to conduct searches has always been wierdly pathetic.... =(

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
Old 10-12-2017, 03:44 PM   #6
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Tx
Thank you Protagonist, this is some great stuff, and I needed to hear it.

Old 10-12-2017, 03:47 PM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Tx
Wink !

Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Are you having second thoughts about buying the trailer? If so, back out now.

Bob
Not a chance!
More like wedding night jitters

Old 10-12-2017, 05:25 PM   #8
3 Rivet Member

1977 31' Sovereign
Vintage Kin Owner
Sunset Valley , Texas
Look. At. Everything.

I'm certain they'll try to rush you through, but take time to put your fingers and eyeballs on every seem, screw, rivet, washer, lever, knob, switch, pull, outlet, inlet, socket, handle, gauge, dial, hinge, catch, cushion, spigot, crank, lug (and whatever else I've forgotten). Bring a lunch and lots of fluids. Hook up, set up, flush, fill and empty. I imagine you just dropped some serious coin and really just want to be on your way with a load of, "I'll figure it out", but that's what they want from you too. With so many stories of new AS's being delivered with major issues, the best way to combat this is for the consumer to be super dilegent during pickup. If enough people raise the issue at this point, the manufacturer will get an earful from the dealers. Don't settle! You paid a premium for what should be a premium product when unfortunately, all too often, it's not. If something doesn't look or feel right, it's probably wrong. These dealers aren't so different from car salesman, who by and large, are fairly slithery.
Be calm, be patient, be vigilant. If in doubt, see if you can wrangle some lifelines via FaceTime (I'm down, PM me) so you do a walk through in real time with an angel on your shoulder as it were.

I get the cult of Airstream, they are amazing, but so does airstream and they live in a "profit is king" world and they are banking on your glazed eyes and thick wallet. Grab your Visine and get your money's worth... while doing future cultists a small favor in the process.

I wish you the best of experiences...

Sincerely,
Ian

(Sitting on my tailgate with an Airstream, an Avion and a Silverstreak in view)
Old 10-12-2017, 05:56 PM   #9
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
In my opinion, all this conversation is absurd....
You're buying a hundred thousand plus dollar product.
It should be presented to you in absolutely perfect condition.
I can't understand people suggesting we as the end consumer do the work in making the product perfect.
As we continue to allow poorly assembled garbage to enter the market, we allow manufacturers to continue to supply consumers with crap.
It is new, and should be perfect, agreeable, this is what the company makes, not heart valves, not pizza, not lipstick.
If they can't provide perfection, simply lower the price to match equal competition.
There is no better quality in an AS than any other trailer. All the appliances, electronics etc are the same.... The only thing proprietary is the name and shape, all else can be bought at an RV store.
Make it perfect then give me a call when it's ready..... Don't expect me to do the work for you!
Old 10-12-2017, 06:05 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2012 19' International
Southeastern MI , Michigan
Our experience was awesome. Camped overnight in it prior to delivery. Small scuff in the countertop was fixed prior to taking it home. Found one missing item that was ordered and is now waiting for us to pick up at the dealer.

Enjoy your delivery. Don't go in "armed for bear". Hopefully your dealer is as good as ours was. We even met some really cool people and a little Airstream party broke out the night before delivery.

Tow Vehicle: Ford Superduty crew cab 6.2L V8
Countryboy59 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 06:27 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2018 27' International
Lakeland , Florida
When we took possession, we went in with a smile, signed the paperwork after taking a quick look at the trailer and the person doing the delivery took all the time we wanted and showed us everything. He gave us his personal cell phone number, telling us to call anytime if we forgot anything or had a problem.

Whole thing took a couple of hours and was flawless.

Good times. I am a member of the cult, now.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:11 PM   #12
3 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Tx
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicNo13 View Post
In my opinion, all this conversation is absurd....
You're buying a hundred thousand plus dollar product.
It should be presented to you in absolutely perfect condition.
I can't understand people suggesting we as the end consumer do the work in making the product perfect.
As we continue to allow poorly assembled garbage to enter the market, we allow manufacturers to continue to supply consumers with crap.
It is new, and should be perfect, agreeable, this is what the company makes, not heart valves, not pizza, not lipstick.
If they can't provide perfection, simply lower the price to match equal competition.
There is no better quality in an AS than any other trailer. All the appliances, electronics etc are the same.... The only thing proprietary is the name and shape, all else can be bought at an RV store.
Make it perfect then give me a call when it's ready..... Don't expect me to do the work for you!
A valid viewpoint and frankly a healthy stance I think we ought to try to take..or move towards at least..you are right

Old 10-12-2017, 08:34 PM   #13
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by AtomicNo13 View Post
As buyers, no one has more incentive to do a thorough inspection before signing on the dotted line than we do.

Yes, we should expect perfection. That's what we pay for. But that doesn't mean we should assume perfection. As the saying goes, "Trust but verify."
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2017, 08:51 PM   #14
Overland Adventurer

1991 34' Excella
2009 34' Panamerica
Telluride , Colorado
I guess my point was this...
If we accept junk, they will produce it. If they know we won't stand for anything other than delivered perfection, they will deliver that!