Old 10-21-2017, 08:47 PM   #57
4 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Tx
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewTheDew View Post
The problem for some of us who haven't towed much is "what is it that I'm adjusting for?" Does it feel good or bad? I'm not sure; it doesn't pull me all over the road and I don't porpoise too much, but could it be better? Not sure. For me it was the same with adjusting the trailer brakes. I think they are okay but I'm not positive since I don't have much in the way of experience for comparison

Thoughts like this are on my mind too, you aren't alone there!

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
wave man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2017, 09:54 AM   #58
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by DewTheDew View Post
The problem for some of us who haven't towed much is "what is it that I'm adjusting for?" Does it feel good or bad? I'm not sure; it doesn't pull me all over the road and I don't porpoise too much, but could it be better? Not sure. For me it was the same with adjusting the trailer brakes. I think they are okay but I'm not positive since I don't have much in the way of experience for comparison
Hi

That's what the adjustment process is all about. Try it on this setting and see how you like it. Is it better or worse? Are you tossing more around on the road or less? Run for a month or two and then go back and repeat the process.

Even if you *have* towed this and that for decades, every lash up is a bit different. What can be done with one may not be possible with another one. Nobody just hops in and decides "this is fine" on a new TV and trailer. There is a learning curve every time. Caution is a *good* thing.

There is no magic equation that predicts that this or that combo of things is going to work. Trying to find that equation and fit everything into it is a common trap to fall into. It's not bad by it's self and it can be fun. It is bad when it replaces the need to optimize the rig after you buy it. (It fits the equation so it's fine = trouble). Bolting things together is just the start of the process, not the end.

No, I'm not saying numbers don't matter. They matter up to a point. You want to make sure that you are "in the ballpark" numbers wise. I would suggest that you might error on the side of having a bit of margin. Optimizing beyond that point is fun. Again, it's not going to help things a lot and it may convince you that after the fact adjustment is not needed. That's not good .... Deciding that "this bar (or hitch or whatever) is the only one to use" by the equation and not swapping it out later when adjustment suggests it is not ... bad.

Bob