Old 10-13-2017, 03:19 PM   #29
4 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Tx
Your idea about teens too, thought it'd be just me but you're right, fresh eyes could make a diffrrence!

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
wave man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 04:01 PM   #30
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
One more thing is that you can download a pdf of the owners manual and the parts list for your model on the Airstream dot com website.

This is useful if you want to read ahead. It's also handy to review from time to time, and having an electronic copy is easier sometimes.

That parts breakdown can be useful 10 years from now if you need to replace something, but even now is useful for shopping for accessories /decor items as it can help with estimated measurements.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 04:42 PM   #31
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
Thanks to Switz for that fabulous post on what to inspect. I didn't want to copy it again here, as it's very long.

Can not stress enough, the importance of doing a thorough inspection.

For those of you that do not know, we recently went to inspect our new factory ordered trailer, and found it to be in poor and unacceptable condition....and we rejected delivery of it.

Instead of factory ordering a new one from scratch, we found exactly the one we want, at a different dealer.

We are scheduled to get our new trailer in 1.5 weeks. Will be using Switz's inspection recommendations, along with others that I've gotten from these forums.

Good luck to the op.. Be careful, take your time, heed everyone's advice to inspect carefully and slowly. I hope you have a great delivery experience!
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 04:47 PM   #32
4 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Tx
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
One more thing is that you can download a pdf of the owners manual and the parts list for your model on the Airstream dot com website.

Already done and perused several times! Great advice I took from somewhere else on the forum..
Maybe from you if you've put this out before I recognize your username! Thank you!

What a man does for pay is of little significance. What he is, as a sensitive instrument responsive to the world's beauty, is everything! H. P. Lovecraft
Old 10-13-2017, 04:54 PM   #33
4 Rivet Member

2018 25' Flying Cloud
Houston , Tx
Quote:
Originally Posted by weirdstuff View Post

Can not stress enough, the importance of doing a thorough inspection.

Good luck to the op.. Be careful, take your time, heed everyone's advice to inspect carefully and slowly. I hope you have a great delivery experience!

Thanks for sharing your experience! Forewarned is forarmed.. and glad to hear you averted a bad experience!

Old 10-13-2017, 06:41 PM   #34
Rivet Master

2018 23' International
Currently Looking...
San Diego , California
I meant to add, as others have said...do NOT sign any paperwork to take delivery of the trailer, until you've completed your inspection and everything is to your liking. Or, at least, if there are some things that need fixing, that you are still ok with signing on the dotted line, and then dealing with those repairs as "warranty" repairs.
weirdstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 07:14 PM   #35
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Quote:
Originally Posted by Protagonist View Post
There's no need to be facetious. It doesn't really help the OP to be told to take longer inspecting the trailer than it took to build it in the first place.
Hi

Even without the X-ray, if you do all the inspections "recommended" here on the various threads you *will* spend at least a month inspecting things. Pull all the wheels, disassemble the brakes, take off the tires, .... the "suggestions" form a very long list.

Consider that the typical buyer really does not know what they are looking at. Inspection of something you are not familiar with is not very effective. If you need the time to become an expert on each item. It will take a lot more than a month.

Inspection is *not* an effective way to improve quality. It's time intensive and very prone to error.

Bob
Old 10-13-2017, 07:30 PM   #36
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Hi

Even without the X-ray, if you do all the inspections "recommended" here on the various threads you *will* spend at least a month inspecting things. Pull all the wheels, disassemble the brakes, take off the tires, .... the "suggestions" form a very long list.

Consider that the typical buyer really does not know what they are looking at. Inspection of something you are not familiar with is not very effective. If you need the time to become an expert on each item. It will take a lot more than a month.

Inspection is *not* an effective way to improve quality. It's time intensive and very prone to error.

Bob

So are you suggesting that no inspection should be done? Iím not following your logic.....
Old 10-13-2017, 10:34 PM   #37
Figment of My Imagination

2012 Interstate Coach
From All Over , More Than Anywhere Else
Quote:
Originally Posted by uncle_bob View Post
Many of the suggestions (x-rays? Really?) go well beyond what a buyer could reasonably do on the day that they arrive to pick up their new Airstream. The inspection should be limited to a broad-strokes overview. The buyer is performing QA, not QC, and should not do more than is necessary to assure themselves that all systems work as advertised and have no visible defects.
Quote:
Again, limit the inspection to"Does it work?" and "Are there any visible defects?" Going beyond that when one picks up an Airstream from the dealer is not time-effective for either the seller or the buyer. Learning the systems in detail after the purchase is not part of the buyer's inspection, it's part of ownership.
Quote:
The purpose of a buyer's QA inspection is not to "improve" quality. It is to "verify" that the buyer is getting what he paid for, an Airstream trailer or motorhome in good working condition. No more, no less.
WBCCI #1105
TAC LA-4

My Google-Fu is strong today.
Protagonist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2017, 10:36 PM   #38
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
The time is nigh

I think heís pointing out that there needs to be a balance between a full-up Ďcheck everythingí to spot the slightest issue, and the risk of not checking anything. The list further up in the thread hits the majority of the possible issues and does good functional checks.

Itís a risk management sort of thing...how risk adverse is the buyer, and how much risk is acceptable? Itís an ĎAirstreamí not a commercial aircraft. Need to keep that in mind.
2012 shortbed crewcab 4x4 Toyota Taco TV with more antennae on it
rmkrum is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 07:30 AM   #39
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

You have a limited amount of time for any of this. A bigger portion of your time should be spent learning how the systems work than doing inspections. Before heading into the weeds on inspecting everything, back off and look at the whole process. Focusing on inspecting a list of a hundred items ... not so much. You have reached the point of diminishing returns *long* before you get to the end of that list.

Bob
Old 10-14-2017, 09:23 AM   #40
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Note that before you sign the paper work, there typically is no "Lemon Law" in the RV industry.

So, the only leverage a buyer has is taking the time it takes to do a thorough inspection and testing, as the dealer will have zero incentive once the check is deposited. As posted above, rejecting a poorly built unit is easy before the check is handed over.

We have a member in our Airstream only RV park that went to the factory to watch the build process. From the poor quality workmanship he witnessed, he stated he personally would not purchase ANY new Airstream (he was considering a fully loaded Classic at over $150,000 list). So he found a "mature" Airstream 5th wheel and spent the necessary funds to get it the way they wanted it.

Frankly, if it takes two days to inspect the trailer, the selling dealership may be inconvenienced in their mind, but it is the buyers money that is at risk. The horror stories of brand new units sitting months before the warranty work is even started because the dealer was paid is food for serious thought.

Our 2014 Classic and 2015 23D International Serenity both had very significant issues when first inspected on the selling dealership lots.

The Classic issues were so far beyond the ability of the local Phoenix dealership to repair based upon my experience with them with our 2013 25FB International Serenity that I took it to a proper independent shop (A & P Vintage Trailer Works in Paradise, TX) and got mods and repairs done properly.

The 23D was one of the last of the 2015 models we could find and was purchased on the East coast. I was not going to cool my heels for the several weeks it would take to correct the issues and took the new unit directly to the same independent shop and got everything taken care of plus significant modifications.

That shop is also an authorized Airstream warranty repair facility.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-14-2017, 11:37 AM   #41
4 Rivet Member

2016 25' Flying Cloud
Fairfield , California
I have had my AS just over a year now, and the one thing I wish I had learned sooner was how to care for the batteries. I ended up doing more dry camping than planned and as a result damaged the batteries. To me everything else was learning how to do things, batteries is something you can damage.
Search battery maintenance, you will find a lot of threads, links, and info.
Old 10-14-2017, 12:50 PM   #42
Rivet Master

2017 23' Flying Cloud
Parker , Colorado
Good luck Wave man!!! You will love it, warts and all, and the two year warranty will fix any issues that arise or you miss. Donít stress, and donít worry if you missed anything during the walk through. We spent around 4 hours in the unit and still missed a few minor things. My daughter came with me and took a video of the dealer tech walking us through. That was helpful.