Old 09-13-2007, 10:10 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Lodi , California
The Search Begins

Hi everyone. I've just begun the search for my first Airstream. I've always admired them and I think the time is right to take the plunge. I would like to find an older model in the 18' - 21' range. I know they're hard to come by, but, maybe with some serious searching and a little luck I'll find the right one. I can't wait to take my wife and our 4 year old daughter on an adventure in an Airstream. I've been reading these forums for a couple of weeks now and picking up a lot of valuable information. I look forward to learning more from all of you.

Old 09-13-2007, 10:58 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

2000 31' Land Yacht
Kerrville , Texas
Welcome!

Welcome to these great forums. You'll find lots of deals right here in the classifieds and on eBay as well. But do ask questions before you buy. Lot of experienced Airstreamers here with good information and friendly advice.
Good luck with your search!

Old 09-14-2007, 01:26 AM   #3
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California
Welcome!

Welcome to the forums! This is THE place to find out all things Airstream!

You shouldn't have much trouble finding a trailer 18' ` 21' that is vintage, just keep your eyes open! It is how much work you want to do to it and how much you are willing to pay will be the determiner. I suggest you check our classifieds here, regularly also check ebay, and craigslist along with your own local papers. They are out there! If you go vintage be sure you have a good eye for the electrical, potential problems like floor rot, and the plumbing system. Lots of good reading with excellent information here, try the search button on the top tool bar and check out the different things to look for when making a vintage purchase.

Here is a good thread while thinking about what you want in your trailer, it has lots of things to review. http://www.airforums.com/forums/f353...eam-22920.html

Good luck on your search! If you run across a trailer and aren't sure about price, etc. post the info or questions on the forum and I am sure someone will step up to the bar and help answer them!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
Old 09-14-2007, 06:10 AM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. Good luck in your quest for the perfect Airstream.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 07:23 AM   #5

Currently Looking...
Lodi , California
Thanks everybody
Old 09-15-2007, 07:38 AM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1962 16' Bambi
Newtown Square , Pennsylvania
Hi Salvcan,
Welcome to the forums. One thing to remember - the photos on the web almost always make the photographed subject look BETTER than it does in person. Try to visit the airstream in person if you can OR there are forum members that are willing to check it for you. If you get to the point where you are going to send a deposit subject to an inspection, post a thread to ask if there is someone willing to inspect a trailer for you in (city name here). Please don't waste members time running around unless you are very serious about a unit. Good Luck!!
Airforums# 7906, WBCCI #4248, WDCU
dudebb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 07:53 PM   #7

Currently Looking...
Lodi , California
Quote:
One thing to remember - the photos on the web almost always make the photographed subject look BETTER than it does in person.
Great point dudedd. That's exactly why I have been hesitant to bid on any of the eBay auctions or check out any from the classifieds that are too far from home. I don't mind traveling to buy something, but I just don't have the time to go half way across the country to kick tires. It's hard to make a large purchase like an Airstream without seeing it first.
Old 09-15-2007, 08:14 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
Quote:
Originally Posted by salvcan
It's hard to make a large purchase like an Airstream without seeing it first.
salvcan, i agree with that BUT there is one caveat; if you don't buy it quickly, someone else will.

i'm speaking specifically for the vintage trailer size you are looking for 18'-21' range. they are harder to come by and when they do come up, they go quickly.

i bought my flying cloud from just looking at pictures. i had done a lot of research here on the forums and knew what to expect and i planned on doing a complete renovation so i was able to make a quick decision to buy it, and i have no regrets.

one thing to think seriously about though. if you really CAN"T WAIT to take your wife and daughter camping, then i'd suggest not going the vintage route. vintage will require a lot of work, time, and money. i bought my flying cloud last october thinking i could have it done it 3 months. well, it's almost a year later and i don't even have the shell back on yet. bottom line is life happens and a vintage restore is going to take longer than you think.

with that said, i can't wait to take my wife and one year old son camping. BUT i'll have to wait another few months before it will be in the flying cloud.

read all you can about the vintage trailers and restoration projects on the forums. if you spend enough time here, you can buy a trailer without a physical inspection if you know what you're in for. there are also "inspectors" on the forums who will go check a trailer out for you.

good luck!

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2007, 10:04 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California
We bought sight unseen...

Quote:
Originally Posted by salvcan
Great point dudedd. That's exactly why I have been hesitant to bid on any of the eBay auctions or check out any from the classifieds that are too far from home. It's hard to make a large purchase like an Airstream without seeing it first.
I understand! We "lucked" out... bought on ebay and only had to give a $500 deposit with cash to seller within 10 days. Our seller was great and was willing to provide us with oodles of pictures and communicated very well and honestly. We travelled about 3 states but knew if when we got there it was a bust we would only be out our $500 and travel time/expense. Naturally that was more than we wanted to be "out" but better than the whole deal! We went vintage and knew we would completely restore, however, the sellers greased the wheels, checked the brakes and all along with lights before we got there. We knew we could tow her home safely.

Our transaction was a smooth and easy one. Hopefully when you find your perfect Airstream it will be too!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)