Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 08-24-2011, 12:22 PM   #1

1962 30' Sovereign
Fanwood , New Jersey
The INFAMOUS "Tricked Out Tailgate Trailer"

OK everyone,

I am almost afraid to post this because of the enthusiasts of keeping the AS original but here I go...

I saw the trailer on Ebay about 4 years ago while looking to purchase a vintage one to restore. I saw the starting bid of $32,500 and thought wow if I could afford that I would buy it. It looked so awesome to me and got me thinking, I love football and how cool would it be to roll up in this. It had so many expensive upgrades. Viking everything like Grill, cooktop, oven hood, microwave, ice maker, wine cooler. All brand new and never used. It also had a Fisher Paykel dish washer, Briggs And Stratton generator, Playstation, 42” Pioneer Plasma TV and 2- 19” LCD etc. When I added it all up it came to over $32,000. Well I did not bid on it because it was out of my budget. No one ever bid on it. It must have had something to do with the disclaimers on the listing which I will talk about later. A week later it goes up for $24,000 starting bid, and I thought to myself, I am sure someone is going to buy it now. Well a few days before the auction ends I send an email to the seller. “I see you have an AS up for sale and it is not getting any offers. If you want to get rid of it I would be willing to offer $7500. I get an email back stating that it has a few problems. It leaks from the modifications and it is not road worthy. I called her and found a few things out. It seams that they cut a 4’ section out of a 1962 30 foot Sovereign making it shorter in order for it to have a large 4’ door on the side to gain access for tailgating. They also tried to use air shocks of some kind and that too failed. She said if no one bids she will call me to take a look at it. Well it did not sell. Kristeen called me and told me it was being stored in Patterson NJ only 15 miles from my job. She was selling it for her client “The Food Network”? I went over during my lunch break one day and the owner of the storage company told me a lot about the trailer. He was the one who gave the clear details as to what needed to be done in order to get it ready to tow. He told me of a company 1 mile from his facility who works on trailers for FEDEX and USPS to name a few. Just to get it road worthy would cost $2500. I was told they needed to cut the axle off and put a new frame and axle to the existing frame. Seemed like too much for me so I called Kristeen back and told her that it was too big a job for me and I was sorry to have wasted her time. The next day I emailed her and told her I did not want to offend her client but I would give $2,500 no questions asked. She emailed me back an hour later. “DONE” She will call me with the details. I found out when I picked it up that it was stored there for over a year at $500 a month storage fee.

5 years later it is still a project for me. I got the trailer road worthy as I have taken tailgating every year since I got it and took it to WV from NJ and many other places without a problem. The water sometimes is an issue but I got it just about water tight. It dripped a little through a sky light during a torrential downpour last week. I am always trying to improve it because it looks great and the concept is awesome but they did not execute it very well. One of the best things about it is that everywhere I go, people gather around and admire it. Even better than that is we enjoy it camping or tailgating and I know it is “One of a Kind”. Since I bought it 5+ years ago, we had 2 additions to the family. My two young boys (3-4) think it is the coolest thing on Earth. I will try to upload some photos at a later time.

The reason I am on this site is I will be asking for advice to problems I run into. I hope you all will be able to help even though they may be unorthodox in nature. My first issue is with the door lock. I tried to take it off to bring to a locksmith to get it keyed but it fell apart. What should I do? Take everything to a locksmith and ask him to put it back together or does anyone know where I can buy another one with a key?
pedrero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:42 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1978 31' Sovereign
Oakley , California
We will all forgive you if you tow it to a few Rallies and cook up some grub! ;-)
Phrunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 04:56 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
salida , Colorado
check out vintage trailer supply or inland marine to get a new one...might be your best bet
cojer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:02 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1966 17' Caravel
salida , Colorado
oh and one more thing...it doesn't have to be all original to be still be cool!
cojer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:38 PM   #5
3 Rivet Member

2012 16' International
2015 25' FB International
Milwaukie , Oregon
What a fun read Please post pictures...would love to see this!

The Small Small Trailer
valmog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 05:57 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
grants pass , Oregon
Pics

Pics Please !
Airline is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:29 PM   #7
2 Rivet Member

1966 22' Safari
Wiarton , Ontario
I agree, I would love to see pics! Love the story! Welcome to the site. I am new too and I think everyone seems to be addicted to Airstreams and pictures of Airstreams!

Check out our new Blog Vintage '66 Safari Airstream Trailer
Shiny Dreams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:41 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
You got some pics. That would be cool to see. Sounds pretty neat

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 06:47 PM   #9
Rivet Master

1959 26' Overlander
Powder Springs , Georgia
Wow! What a story! Show us a picture of that door handle so we can help you.
Old 08-24-2011, 07:14 PM   #10
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Nowhere , Alabama
I'm new here, so without sticking my nose out too far...

Will somebody just call BS already?

Pics or it didn't happen.
J.air.doe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:52 PM   #11
4 Rivet Member

1999 25' Safari
On , the road
Few of pics on the site from back when it was being sold. I can see how that would leak.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...lly-28652.html

timmaah is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 07:57 PM   #12
Rivet Master

1968 28' Ambassador
Cedaredge , Colorado
That is really cool!!! I love it. Only thing, can you get rid of the food network sign? is it painted on or decal.

May you have at least one sunny day, and a soft chair to sit in..

2008 5.7 L V8 Sequoia
AIR # 31243
WBCCI # 6987
FOUR CORNERS UNIT
purman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2011, 09:53 PM   #13
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
My husband is a locksmith. He said one can definitely help you, be sure to save all the parts!
Awesome rig!!!!
Skatiero is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:44 AM   #14

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Neat trailer! Definitely one of a kind - and a great story about how you got it to boot Welcome!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 12:54 AM   #15
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
I love "Design Star" ...

... but now I think I know how much work goes on AFTER the designers have mashed things together ...

pedrero, did they say anything about how much money was spent to leave it in the shape you took over?
Old 08-25-2011, 01:00 AM   #16
Rivet Master

1956 16' Bubble
Rose Lodge , Oregon
We discussed this briefly awhile back. What I'm curious about now is what happened to the sweepstakes giveway.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...ing-18437.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f48/...ing-18437.html
Old 08-25-2011, 03:22 AM   #17
Restorations done right
Commercial Member

1962 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Baltimore , Maryland
I think a series of questions are coming, but only one was asked.

Your trailer has or had an L200 Bargmann lock. Those locks are no longer made or stocked at this point. Three local lock smiths have tried keying them for me and all three failed. Can you take a photo of the door lock or the remaining pile of parts? You might need to find a commercial vendor that restores trailers who just might have a few of those locks on the shelf.
Frank's Trailer Works is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-25-2011, 07:16 PM   #18

1962 30' Sovereign
Fanwood , New Jersey
Some of the photos from our recent trips

Thanks for all of the kind words. I found a few pictures and wanted to share them with you. I was told buy the company who sold me the trailer that the Food Network gave the winner a new AS in place of this because of their concern around safety. They actually made me sign a hold harmless agreement at the closing. The wood was getting damaged around the front door so I had to paint it. As for the Food Network decal, it was removed before I got it and the trailer. It is no where as shiny as the photos posted above. I plan to bring the shine back soon, somehow. I will attach more later when I find them on my camera.
Click image for larger version

Name:	424.jpg
Views:	151
Size:	263.0 KB
ID:	138685

Name:	421.jpg
Views:	161
Size:	278.5 KB
ID:	138686

Name:	408.jpg
Views:	187
Size:	264.0 KB
ID:	138687

Name:	397.jpg
Views:	180
Size:	456.6 KB
ID:	138688
Old 08-25-2011, 07:20 PM   #19

1962 30' Sovereign
Fanwood , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by summerkid View Post
... but now I think I know how much work goes on AFTER the designers have mashed things together ...

pedrero, did they say anything about how much money was spent to leave it in the shape you took over?

They did not say how much they paid the people who did the work but she did say at $32,000 they were just trying to recoup some of the money they spent in appliances.

I do have the dvd from the pilot show with Al Roker, Bobby Flay and Paula Dean. It is pretty cool. Not sure if I can or know how to post that here or not?
Old 08-25-2011, 07:27 PM   #20

1962 30' Sovereign
Fanwood , New Jersey
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62overlander View Post
I think a series of questions are coming, but only one was asked.

Your trailer has or had an L200 Bargmann lock. Those locks are no longer made or stocked at this point. Three local lock smiths have tried keying them for me and all three failed. Can you take a photo of the door lock or the remaining pile of parts? You might need to find a commercial vendor that restores trailers who just might have a few of those locks on the shelf.

You are correct, more questions. I promise one at a time. The next one is around the grey system. I am new to campers as well. It seems like they just have the sink running to a blue container but the water supply is the same as my garden hose hookup. I am not sure that is right. I need a hose that has the female connector on both sides. Is that normal? The bathroom is only a small porta potty. It does have an LCD tv in there though. OK for tailgating but I want to convert it to a full bath at some time.

The problem is the trailer is at my parents house an hour away so photos are a little difficult now.