Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-21-2016, 07:46 PM   #1
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
The Greatleys' 74 Overlander

Hi folks. My fiancee and I are neck-deep in our restoration of a 1974 Airstream Overlander 27'. We started maintaining a blog mostly for our family to follow, but I figured if I was building on the experience of others, I might as well share my experience in a way that might add something to the available knowledge, or at least be entertaining.

We've got new axles, a repaired and POR-15'd frame, a new waterproofed subfloor, new electric, new vents and AC, and I'm working on getting the interior skins in. I have about three months until we get married, and I was hoping to have the Airstream functional for the honeymoon. We might still be in the aluminum tent phase by then, but I'm working as fast as I can every weekend.

I'm going to have a bunch of Overlander parts left over when I'm finished, though I don't know if they'll be worth listing on the classifieds. Original fridge, furnace, univolt, toilet, lots of miscellaneous stuff that may or may not work -- we didn't test anything before we tore the Airstream apart. If anybody has a suggestion on how I should offer the things I don't need to people who do, I would appreciate it.

Thanks to everyone in the community for getting us this far. There's lots of people here who I've never spoken with who have made big contributions to our project. I hope I'll be able to give something back in the future.
TheGreatleys is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2016, 08:37 PM   #2
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Seabrook , Texas
Hey, just read some of your blog today.
Feel like I could go install an Mach 8 with no worries.

Thanks for detailing your work so nicely.
Poolman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2016, 04:45 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Thanks! I'm glad it's useful.
Old 03-22-2016, 05:16 PM   #4
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Silverton , Oregon
If you have any tambour you don't want anymore, I'll take it. Especially, that tambour under the sink.
Old 03-22-2016, 05:24 PM   #5
4 Rivet Member

1972 31' Sovereign
Silverton , Oregon
Oh and welcome to the forums
Old 03-22-2016, 05:48 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
Baltimore , Maryland
Jim- sorry I can't pm yet, my account is too new. I was not sure whether I was allowed to post a link to my own blog hosted off-site. It's at thegreatleys.com.

Can of beans- I think most of it was in pretty sorry shape but I can see what's under the deck and I'll let you know if I kept any of it.
Old 03-22-2016, 08:17 PM   #7
Remember, Safety Third

1973 27' Overlander
Catfish Corners , Georgia
Ah, this blog: http://thegreatleys.com/

You guys are doing a great job. Those Rosie the Riveter pics are great! Keep it up!

Jim

www.nesa.org
Air No. 6427
Jim & Susan is offline   Reply With Quote