Old 06-16-2014, 05:40 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Seattle , Washington
"The Breeze" blows into Seattle

Dear Forum Community,

Hello from a new AS owner in Seattle. My partner and I just brought our first AS home on Saturday, June 7, 2014. Darrin and I named this, our first trailer ever, "the Breeze" after a very short-lived character in Christopher Moore's hysterical novel, Practical Demonkeeping. Suffice to say, the Breeze lived a very full and wonderful life...until he didn't. But, I digress.

The Breeze is a 27' Overlander International double, and still very much in the original style and appointments. Given the condition of her drapes, she is original. We've been stripping decades of schmutz off her insides and outsides, and getting to know her inch by inch, top to bottom. She's been a bit neglected, but things stayed in pretty good condition within the aluminum skins. Started system testing this weekend and so far, so good!

We don't know her life story, but she was active in the caravan scene 1973-1983. She spent time in Mexico in the 70's (probably laying low until it all blew over!), lost a decade around then--many of us did! Ended up in Seattle, providing "shelter in style" for a mother-in-law. Our friends bought her in the early 2000's and intended to fix her up. She moved from Seattle to Yakima, WA in 2010. Last July 4th, at their house for a picnic, conversation turned to "living the dream" and we told them it has always been our dream to remodel an AS and take it around the country following "Remote Area Medical," a charity that provides free health care by setting up MASH-type clinics all over the country. They told us they owned one, had similar plans when they got it, but their plans and dreams had changed. We picked her up 11 months later.

Now the fun begins. We'll make sure everything we can make work works. We hope we dodge the bullet on the infernal 12 volt DC line short, but have yet to even test the 12v circuit.

I have to add that the community here, your civility and helpfulness, has given us a lot of courage when it comes to this undertaking. I expect we will have a lot of questions, but there are too many in my head to start now, and I've learned it pays to do a little research before reaching out to all you all.

Thanks for the warm welcome, and I hope to see you on the road very soon. Anybody heading over to the WA coast for the Int'l. Kite Festival in August and can suggest a good place to stay, please LMK. We hope to make that our inaugural voyage.

Best wishes,

Ian Maki, Darrin Newell and "the Breeze (#7516)
Seattle, WA

Old 06-16-2014, 06:40 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
This was my first thought:

"ear worm warning"

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 08:15 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1972 27' Overlander
Seattle , Washington
Hi, Piggy Bank! Thank you for the welcome...and the song; a theme song for our AS if there ever was one! After listening, I realize this might be the song that was the inspiration for the character in the book. THis is how he's introduced: "The Breeze was truly cool, a party renaissance man. He spent his days at the beach and his nights in a cloud of sinsemilla. The Breeze could smoke all night, polish off a bottle of tequila,
maintain well enough to drive the forty miles back to Pine Cove without arousing
the suspicion of a single cop, and be on the beach by nine the next morning
acting as if the term hangover were too abstract to be considered. On Billy
Winstons private fist of personal heroes The Breeze ranked second only to David
Bowie"

I, of course, do not condone any of this, except being "truly cool," which 'the Breeze', most certainly, is.
Old 06-16-2014, 09:03 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2017 25' Flying Cloud
2015 22' FB Sport
Kansas City , Missouri
I will check out the book. Sounds like if I like The Big Lebowski, that it's right up my alley. Thanks for the info and I promise no more off topic posts.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2014, 10:21 PM   #5
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
Eastern , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by Piggy Bank View Post
I promise no more off topic posts.
..... and the checks in the mail

Ian - welcome to the board. Post up some pics of your project when you have a chance

Let's have a polishing party: I'll supply the trailer and buffing supplies. BYOB (bring your own buffer)

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote