Old 02-22-2014, 03:52 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Keene , California
The Adventure Has Begun!

Hi all, I have been popping on and off enjoying your forums for awhile hoping to learn about what to look for in purchasing vintage trailers. Now I have taken the plunge and just purchased my first Airstream last weekend! It was an exciting 16.5 hour trip to seeing her and bring her home with me. Four new tires and away we go...easy peezy! Well now the fun begins....I'll be looking for insight as to how to restore her and planning fun times!
Newbie Vic

Old 02-22-2014, 06:23 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Welcome and congrats!

Having popped on and off here for any amount of time, SURELY you understand the insatiable desire for pictures of your new-to-you trailer! :-)

There are many amazing folks here who can answer any question about Airstreams (not me of course! ).

Welcome and happy camping!

Old 02-22-2014, 10:31 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Keene , California
The Adventure has Begun

Hi You are quite right; pics are very important. This is not the best one I was so excited that I jumped up @ 5 am to take a picture of her at my place before I moved her to better parking. She makes my truck look small. Lol!
Vic
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0170.jpg
Views:	102
Size:	334.8 KB
ID:	206147  
Old 02-22-2014, 10:38 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
She's a beaut! Totally dig the hubcaps!! I think I safely speak on behalf of everyone here that internal pics are also a requirement. :-)
Old 02-23-2014, 07:46 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1986 32' Excella
Currently Looking...
Canton , Georgia
Wow! You are in for some FUN!
Old 02-24-2014, 12:46 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Keene , California
Well I'm still trying to figure out how to up load pictures LOL! It seems like a pretty solid trailer? I was told that everything works. I was shown the water, shoreline, city and fresh water tank/pump, hot and cold, so I know the furnace works too. I just have to learn how to work all the gadgets...I have never had a trailer with a bathroom before so that is the one area that I hope I can manage with out to many problems...I need to figure out how to test these things...or find a shop to tell me what I'll need to bring everything up to speed. My TV wiring is off with the trailer wire harness...no running lights or electric brakes, but will run signals, brake lights and hazards. That will be the first thing to fix...hopefully this will not be a Sir Fix A Lot!
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	photo 3.JPG
Views:	63
Size:	142.6 KB
ID:	206268   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 1.JPG
Views:	66
Size:	114.5 KB
ID:	206269  

Name:	photo 2.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	101.8 KB
ID:	206270   Click image for larger version

Name:	photo 4.JPG
Views:	68
Size:	93.1 KB
ID:	206271  

Old 02-24-2014, 05:21 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2012 27' Flying Cloud
W , New England
Quote:
Originally Posted by NY2CA View Post
Well I'm still trying to figure out how to up load pictures LOL! It seems like a pretty solid trailer? I was told that everything works. I was shown the water, shoreline, city and fresh water tank/pump, hot and cold, so I know the furnace works too. I just have to learn how to work all the gadgets...I have never had a trailer with a bathroom before so that is the one area that I hope I can manage with out to many problems...I need to figure out how to test these things...or find a shop to tell me what I'll need to bring everything up to speed. My TV wiring is off with the trailer wire harness...no running lights or electric brakes, but will run signals, brake lights and hazards. That will be the first thing to fix...hopefully this will not be a Sir Fix A Lot!
Looks very nice inside! Seems well loved by her previous owners!

Yes, DEFINITELY attend to that wire harness right away. As for everything else, search in the forums for "checklist" and you'll find some tools that while intended to be a pre-buy checklist can serve you well now for checking out systems and structures. Next recommendation is Rich Luhr's guide for newbies (probably available at amazon). And last recommendation is to use the desktop version of the forums to find inspectors among members here who might live near you and could check out your trailer live and let you know what they see with their level of expertise. I never know how to do that with the mobile version I use almost exclusively but on a desktop there's some easier way to find inspectors - sorry I can't be of more help there.

Good luck!!
Old 02-24-2014, 03:58 PM   #8
Retired

2008 30' Classic
Livingston , Texas
That coffee table looks a little too low.....

Nice looking unit. The mechanicals wiil comefairly quickly with use and study.
2008 Classic 30'
2013 F150 Ecoboost
tvketchum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2014, 09:46 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1976 Argosy 24
Keene , California
Thank you so much for the information...I have an appointment with a mechanic on the 6th to have my TV looked at? I thought it was bogging down when I was going up the MT that I live on? If my TV checks out Ok I'll have them look at the wire harness; they said that they can and will work on trailers and large equipment too. I'll look for the checklists and get the Rick Luhr's guide. I know I can sure use it! I'll also look though the forums for the inspectors that maybe in my neck for the woods, as they would know who does what and where to go for specific airstream stuff. I really appreciate the advice! VIC