Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-16-2019, 07:19 AM   #1
2 Rivet Member

2019 27' Tommy Bahama
Ocean Pines , Maryland
Thanx To All

Heartfelt thanx to all the replies to our first postings. The information you all provided was invaluable to these newbies. I did note that there is a pretty good check list in the Tommy Bahama owner's manual. We were wondering if there is a "vetted" pre-op check list and post-op check list. In other words, check lists that are based in reality and experience.
Docbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2019, 07:38 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2018 27' Tommy Bahama
Marana , Arizona
Quote:
Originally Posted by Docbutch View Post
Heartfelt thanx to all the replies to our first postings. The information you all provided was invaluable to these newbies. I did note that there is a pretty good check list in the Tommy Bahama owner's manual. We were wondering if there is a "vetted" pre-op check list and post-op check list. In other words, check lists that are based in reality and experience.

Do you have the Airstream Care app? It has checklists and I believe can be used to create/modify your own. You will find that checklists are good for reminding you not to forget things but there usually is something specific to your situation that is different.

Best advice I can give you is use whatever checklist you find or create that works for you. Take your time and enjoy the journey, but don’t rush to get on the road as being prepared is part of the experience!

Enjoy your Tommy Bahama, we love ours!
Old 04-16-2019, 07:49 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2019 27' Globetrotter
Driftless Area , Wisconsin
Quote:
Originally Posted by UncleBad View Post
Do you have the Airstream Care app? It has checklists and I believe can be used to create/modify your own. You will find that checklists are good for reminding you not to forget things but there usually is something specific to your situation that is different.

Best advice I can give you is use whatever checklist you find or create that works for you. Take your time and enjoy the journey, but don’t rush to get on the road as being prepared is part of the experience!
Agreed 100%. Plenty of sample lists out there--the ones on the forum user Rocinante's website are the most comprehensive, IMHO. I had a bunch of them on my phone/tablet when I took my new Airstream out for its 10-day shakedown with a friend. I distilled them into what I thought would be a single good starting point for us, getting rid of things that didn't apply and adding things that did based on our equipment, interests, and resources, knowing full well that the point of the trip was to come up with a checklist was both thorough and efficient. Efficiency was gained by consolidating checklist items into physical locations (e.g. outside vs inside or working from the front of the trailer toward the door) or logical/operational categories (e.g. water, campsite, awnings, etc.).

We changed things up every day and the final version of the checklist survived the last 2 camp setups and teardowns. I know I'll need to revisit the lists again since I'll be traveling with my kids (mostly alone, the wife will join us from time to time), and I'll need to delegate things to them that aren't necessarily safety-related or that I know I'll need to double-check.

I think working on the checklists was a good part of the enjoyment, but I like designing and refining processes. The many lists that are out there (on the app, in the manual, on the intertubes) will cover the operational and safety basics. Make them your own through trying them out.
nryn is offline   Reply With Quote