Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 07-10-2007, 07:40 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Send a message via Yahoo to Mikethefixit
Smile Thanks for Your Welcome

My name is really Roger and My Wife is MaryLou. We are currently searching for an Airstream that fits a retirement budget. We have childeren scattered over the US so it payback time. Time for us to visit them. We have started the process of getting the equipment together. Like F350 diesel ,Reese load-leveling hitch and brake controller installed.
Any advise from U that have Airstreams will be greatly appreciated.
Everyone have a great day
Roger
Mikethefixit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 07:44 AM   #2
Mel
Rivet Master

1967 22' Safari
1960 Caravel
Edmonds , Washington
Hi Roger, welcome! You'll find a very friendly community here willing to help you with your Airstream decisions. Are you looking for a new or used Airstream? Keep an eye on the classifieds here - lots of good stuff comes up for sale. Good luck and let us know how things are going!
Old 07-10-2007, 07:47 AM   #3
Rivet Master

Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Vintage Kin Owner
Currently Looking...
Greeeneville , Tennessee
Send a message via Yahoo to Silverhobby
Welcome Roger and MaryLou, The decision to buy an Airstream trailer is a good one. Sounds like you are doing your homework and planning to make a well informed buying decision. Buy the best condition that you can for the amount that you are planning to spend, if buying used. Spending a smaller amount in the beginning may mean costly repairs or replacements down the road. Ask another FORUMS member to objectively look the unit over for you. Have the seller to demonstrate that all pertinent systems are in working order and show you how to operate them. You'll get lots of good advice here, with answers to your questions. Good luck in your search.
visit my restoration blog at:
Silverhobby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 07:53 AM   #4
Rivet Master

2014 27' Flying Cloud
Viera , Florida
Hi Roger and welcome to the forums. Did your kids give you that logon name? Seems like something my kids would do. Pat and I are getting ready to retire this year, and the kids already have a list of projects for me to do at their homes.

With your 1 ton truck, you could pull anything you want that Airstream makes. Our choice was a 23' for several reasons. The GVWR is in the 70% range of the 1/2 ton truck capability. Two axles for long distance towing safety. Under 25' so we could get into the National Parks.

The 23' is very comfortable, but if I had a 3/4 ton truck, I probably would have gone with a 25' FB. The 25' gives you a little more room, bigger holding tanks, and an easier to make bed (Pat's biggest complaint).

We hope to launch soon into doing some extensive retirement travel. Good luck with your search process.

Randy
2014 27FB Flying Cloud - SilverCabin II
2018 F-150 Platinum - unnamed

The best part of any trip is when you pull away from home.
SilverCabin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 08:06 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Thanks for the nice Welcome. We will be looking for Used and the most BANG for the buck. My purpose for coming here was to draw on the wealth of knowledge that is probably here. Nice pic also Mel Thanks
Roger
Old 07-10-2007, 08:12 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Thanks Keith
We usually probe /inspect/ poke and prod. We try never to jump. Homework and research first. We plan on buy the biggest bang for the buck.Newest we can afford.At first we just wanna hook-up and go,without have'n to rebuild the thing first.
Thanks Keith
Old 07-10-2007, 08:21 AM   #7
Rivet Master

1977 27' Overlander
Trotwood , Ohio
Randy& Pat Thanks
The name Mike,came from my Grandfather(dont know why)I would only answer to that when he called. The fixitman my wife gave me cause of the small engine shop we have.Thus Mikethefixitman(althought it got shorten by this fourm.Randy,didnt know there was a prob.with Nat.Parks and size or is it just a logistics thing. Im used to big rigs up to 75 feet/retired truck-driver 45 yrs.
Looked at the pic's Good lookn rig
Thanks for the nice Welcome
Later
Roger
Old 07-10-2007, 09:06 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1983 34' Excella
1967 24' Tradewind
Little Rock , Arkansas
Hi Mike,

An F350 might even be overkill. My next TV will probably be an F250, and I have a 34' Excella. I found in in the classifieds here. Welcome to the club!

Vaughan
vswingfield is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2007, 09:36 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1960 22' Safari
in the wilderness , The great Mojave Desert
With the F350 you can easily pull a 34 footer.

The largest used Airstreams usually cost less to buy as the 25 and down are the most popular. They fit into more campgrounds and take less truck and fuel.

If you have not gotten your truck yet don't hesitate to grab an F250. It will also pull anything Airstream has made too.

WBCCI 3344 FCU
AIR# 13896
CA 4

Yes, we have courtesy parking for you. About an hour North of Los Angeles.
Goin camping is offline   Reply With Quote