Old 05-13-2010, 01:46 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member
2008 23' Safari FB SE
Fort Worth , Texas
Texas Purchase/Svc Advice

Hello to all! I love this website and truly believe that it helped me convince my husband to buy an AS. I appreciate all the helpful advice.
We are currently shopping and i have read many threads debating size and new vs. used.
My question is if we purchase new, is it better to purchase it from a dealer where we also plan to have it serviced? Didn't know if it would get us better treatment when we go in for service calls. Also, does anyone have good or bad experiences with any dealers or servicers in the north Texas area or Texas at large, I'm not afraid to drive for a good deal or knowledgeable service crew.
Thanks in advance for any info.

ASNewbieKel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 05:28 AM   #2
Vintage Kin
Corpus Christi , Texas
I moved from Dallas after 50 years, and the region seems good in terms of finding RV service, parts and whatnot (third generation aluminum trailer owner). I purchased the Hensley hitch for my Silver Streak at Roger Williams in Weatherford (also bought the truck there) in 2007. A good place to start. Also, put Camper Capitol in Dallas on your list as a parts house for many, many miscellaneous items (if you purchase a used trailer). As to service I have seen both good and bad reports about A/S-specific repairs in DFW. I don't read as much about some A/S specific issues (dealer rep) but the few I've seen about the dealer in Arkansas all looked good.

Welcome, this a great place to learn and learn.

1990 35' Silver Streak Sterling; 9k GVWR.
2004 DODGE Cummins 305/555; 6-manual; 9k GVWR.
Hensley Arrow. 10-cpm solo, 18-cpm towing
Sold: Silver Streak Model 3411
slowmover is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:23 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member
2008 23' Safari FB SE
Fort Worth , Texas
Thanks for your answer. Roger Williams doesn't sell airstreams anymore but they may still sell accessories and/or service AS. I'll check with them.
ASNewbieKel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:31 AM   #4
2 Rivet Member
1977 31' Sovereign
Dallas , Texas
North Dallas RV has done all of our major AS work and we have been pleased.
wbcci 7078 :: air 4125 :: tac TX-77
read about our adventures in renovation
janiemerle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2010, 07:41 AM   #5
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
1953 32' Liner
1955 22' Safari
Valley View , Texas
Send a message via Skype™ to Melody Ranch
Try guarantees

Denton has an Airstream dealer....its part of the Explore USA dealership there. They have two Airstream trained techs and a nice looking shop. It is on I-35 , East side of the hiway, on the access road. I can't vouch for sales or service there. Remember....its a buyer market, use the Forums here for your info needs annd suggestions. I, personally, would look for a newer used Airstream, relatively unused, that will pop up here in the Classifieds. Save a lot and get the benefits of previous owners ad ons (if they are good) which could be beneficial.
"If it can't be reduced, reused, repaired, rebuilt, refurbished, refinished, resold, recycled or composted
then it should be restricted, redesigned or removed from production."
Melody Ranch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-15-2010, 02:48 PM   #6
2 Rivet Member
1992 29' Excella
Currently Looking...
Howdy from the TEXAS PANHANDLE! Mark (and Christi) in the parts department at Explore USA in Denton have been wonderful to me. I have made several parts purchases from them, and I have spent several hours on the telephone gleaning information from Mark. I have also been able to speak to the techs when I was in the shop with Mark. Any questions that I have had (there have been MANY), Mark either knows the answer or will get it for me! He is VERY knowledgeable and helpful. I will return to do business there often even though they are more than 500 miles from THE RANCH!
I agree with others.....look used....I did...had a few undisclosed problems, but saved a ton of cash.......TEXAS BLESSINGS TO YOU IN YOUR QUEST.....Adios...Callie

callie is offline   Reply With Quote

dealers, service, texas