Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-04-2011, 11:27 AM   #1
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
1960 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
El Paso , Texas
Texas Airstream - 1977 Sovereign

Hello everyone
We just bought our first Airstream.It's a 77 Soverign 31' with the rear bath.I guess I should have used forums to read up on the rear bath issues and rear end separation so common to this model before we made our purchase.It sure seemed to be in good shape and was owned by an older couple who didn't use it much.I have some bare 3500lb axles on the way from Inland Rv to start with and then I'll address the rear end problem.I'll keep y'all post and get some pictures up soon.
Any tips and or advice is greatly appreciated.
desertair27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2011, 11:35 AM   #2
HCR
3 Rivet Member

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Livingston , Full time traveler
Welcome. You will find all the expertise a person could wish for on this board!
Old 03-04-2011, 11:41 AM   #3
4 Rivet Member

1973 31' Excella 500
Spring Green , Wisconsin
Welcome to the forums.

My advice, enjoy the journey.

My tip, always include pictures when you ask a question on a specific detail or repair of your A/S.

Most of all, have a great time!!
Old 04-23-2011, 08:37 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
1960 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
El Paso , Texas
I'm back

Thank you for the warm welcome and tips.I'm back and I hope I've got the pictures attached properly.
I finished my axle swap and I have to say it wasn't bad even though I did it by myself with the help of a floor jack.It took me about 3 hours for the first axle and a couple days later I knocked out the other axle in about 2 hours.I replaced shocks while I was in there.I also picked up some centramatic wheel balancer from inland.I purchased the bare axles fro them as well and I wish I had ordered them complete with brakes.The PO told me that had just replaced brakes so I assumed I didn't need to buy new brakes and figured I'd enjoy a $500 savings ordering the axles bare.Well...the brake caliper is clearing the inside of the rim.I noticed a 1/4 aluminium wheel spacer once I removed the wheel and didn't think to much about it until I went to install my sweet centramtic babies and the didn't clear the brake caliper.Anyways.my first step is to figure out why the inside rim rubs the brake caliper and then I think the centramatic problem with be solved.
My question is.Could a larger brake caliper been installed?
Also check out my before and after pictures.
I have my fingers crossed the pictures are attached.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	77 Airstream Soverign axle replacement 001.jpg
Views:	686
Size:	521.3 KB
ID:	127979   Click image for larger version

Name:	77 Airstream Soverign axle replacement 008.jpg
Views:	589
Size:	616.3 KB
ID:	127980  

Name:	77 Airstream Soverign axle replacement 011.jpg
Views:	402
Size:	507.6 KB
ID:	127981   Click image for larger version

Name:	77 Airstream Soverign axle replacement 014.jpg
Views:	191
Size:	555.5 KB
ID:	127982  

Old 04-23-2011, 09:47 PM   #5
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Send a message via Yahoo to Lance M
Welcome to the forums. Enjoy your new beauty. See you down the road.

Work is never done, so take time to play!
Lance M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-23-2011, 10:12 PM   #6
Site Team

1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Howdy and welcome to Airforums.com, desertair27! From what I can see in the photos you have posted, your trailer's skin looks to be in fine condition.

As for rear bath or mid bath, they each have an advantage. The mid bath units I've seen from that era, well, they're so small, I'd have to go out in the hall to change my mind! (that's a joke, son )

On the other hand, when you have guests staying overnight, if they need to make a noctural trip to the bathroom, they have to walk past you. To each his own, as they say, but personally, at 5' 17" I prefer the more spacious rear bath.

In post #4, you took off the bumper and removed the rivets from the trim covering the join of the two aluminum panels. At that point you saw the rivets that join the shell to the frame, via a plate that is back there inside the wall, reinforcing that joint.

How did the original rivets look? Were they all there, still holding that assembly together? If you have rear separation, that's one of the points that would show it fairly obviously; the rivets can pull out of their holes, showing a gap on that seam when the rear separates.

I'd love to see more photos, (especially of the interior) when you get more time.

Have fun with your trailer, and don't sweat the small stuff!
Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-24-2011, 07:11 PM   #7
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Looks like someone is missing a chock block from the Motor Pool! Here is my resto thread on my Ambassador Abby. Lots of pics.

Old 04-24-2011, 11:30 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1977 31' Excella 500
West Sacramento , California
It looks like your trailer originally had the vacuum assisted disc brakes. If you still have the original Ausco assemblies, they should fit with the original rims. There is not much clearance though. I had a loose caliper bolt and it shredded the inside of the rim. I thought the bold sheared off inside the caliper but I was lucky in that the bolt apparently was never screwed in so it did not have to be drilled out. I was toying with the idea of replacing the original Ausco assemblies with kodiaks or dexter discs but wass told I would need to purchase new rims as well as the original rims don't have the clearance for the newer disc assemblies. Post a picture of the caliper and Andy will know what you have. Sounds like the spacer was added to give clearance for a newer brake assembly.
4RXLA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2011, 08:07 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
1960 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
El Paso , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Top View Post
Looks like someone is missing a chock block from the Motor Pool! Here is my resto thread on my Ambassador Abby. Lots of pics.
Hey Top
Good to see Abby back on the road.I'm looking for more pictures of your finished floor and other work on her.I can't seem to find them.Can you show me more pictures?
Chock is actually from the Airport.A buddy of mine used to work there and gave me a pair of these guys.
Old 06-13-2011, 08:24 AM   #10
Rivet Master

1957 22' Caravanner
1960 26' Overlander
1963 24' Tradewind
El Paso , Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aage View Post
Howdy and welcome to Airforums.com, desertair27! From what I can see in the photos you have posted, your trailer's skin looks to be in fine condition.

As for rear bath or mid bath, they each have an advantage. The mid bath units I've seen from that era, well, they're so small, I'd have to go out in the hall to change my mind! (that's a joke, son )

On the other hand, when you have guests staying overnight, if they need to make a noctural trip to the bathroom, they have to walk past you. To each his own, as they say, but personally, at 5' 17" I prefer the more spacious rear bath.

In post #4, you took off the bumper and removed the rivets from the trim covering the join of the two aluminum panels. At that point you saw the rivets that join the shell to the frame, via a plate that is back there inside the wall, reinforcing that joint.

How did the original rivets look? Were they all there, still holding that assembly together? If you have rear separation, that's one of the points that would show it fairly obviously; the rivets can pull out of their holes, showing a gap on that seam when the rear separates.

I'd love to see more photos, (especially of the interior) when you get more time.

Have fun with your trailer, and don't sweat the small stuff!
Hey Aage
I didn't realize that the mid bath's were smaller.I sure like the size of my full bathroom.
I did have some missing rivets and one that was ripped through the skin.I'm not sure what's going on with the separation.I have quarter skin damage on both side with the curb side being more severe.I figured this is from the wheels that were installed on the frame.I have straightened the frame in this area but now it seems the curbside frame is bent or sagging down.Any idea how to straighten the frame?I attached the skin to the C channel where it sat as I couldn't align the original rivet holes up on the curb side.
More pictures on the way.My response time is a slow.
Attached Thumbnails

Name:	DSCN2655.jpg
Views:	211
Size:	216.0 KB
ID:	132375   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN2659.jpg
Views:	177
Size:	193.6 KB
ID:	132376  

Name:	DSCN2657.jpg
Views:	173
Size:	278.0 KB
ID:	132377  
Old 06-13-2011, 03:59 PM   #11
Always learning

1972 29' Ambassador
1962 19' Globetrotter
1951 21' Flying Cloud
Central , Texas
Floors

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertair27 View Post
Hey Top
Good to see Abby back on the road.I'm looking for more pictures of your finished floor and other work on her.I can't seem to find them.Can you show me more pictures?
Chock is actually from the Airport.A buddy of mine used to work there and gave me a pair of these guys.
DesertAir,
Like the work. Looks good!

The floor stuff starts on page 4 post 54. Pictures of the completed floor are on page 5 post 70 and page 24 post 329.

Tags
sovereign