Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-06-2018, 03:50 PM   #1

Flower Mound , Texas
Texan Looking for Advice

First, thanks in advance for any input provided. I've been blessed to be able to retire in my mid-50's and looking forward to the best part of life!

After much research over the past couple of years, I've decided to pursue an Airstream. As I research the right trailer, I have a few questions that I'm hoping this forum can help with:

1. We have a 2001 Yukon 1500 XL. It is in great shape (less than 100k miles, regular Mobil 1 synthetic oil changes) with a 350 v8 and towing package with transmission cooler. VIN research shows max towing capacity of 8800 lbs and GCWR of 14,000 lbs. Given that we would rarely have any passengers in the Yukon, I'm looking for advice on trailer GVWR and length. I've had my eye on a few 27' trailers with a 7600 GVWR. Would the Yukon handle that or should I consider something smaller?

2. Regarding towing safety, what should I be considering? Sway bars, any particular hitch, brakes, etc.?

3. In regards to used trailers, either less than 10 years old or recent restoration, are there services available for a thorough inspection? I'd prefer if an experienced person could inspect the trailer prior to purchase.

I suspect I'll come up with more questions as my search progresses, but I'll look for the appropriate threads as I get more familiar with this forum.

Thanks again!
thegoodlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 05:18 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1971 25' Tradewind
1993 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Estancia , New Mexico
There are owner/inspectors that belong to this forum. Put up a new thread Inspector Wanted/ Texas.
Old 10-06-2018, 05:24 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1966 22' Safari
1955 22' Flying Cloud
Fredericksburg , Texas
Welcome to the AS world. I’m not an auto mechanic, but pulling a 27 footer with your Yukon seems to be pushing the limit. It may do well on a level highway with no wind. But pulling that with a hefty crosswind or in the mountains may be iffy. I like having full control of whatever I’m towing. There are lots and lots of Airstreams out there for sale. Take your time and make sure the one you purchase is right for you and your family. There’s a few rallies coming up around Texas. Go to a couple, look around and talk to the people. Good luck and ask the questions. Bubba
Bubba L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 05:36 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
Davidson County , NC Highlands County, FL
Welcome to the forum. my response in blue
Quote:
Originally Posted by thegoodlife View Post
First, thanks in advance for any input provided. I've been blessed to be able to retire in my mid-50's and looking forward to the best part of life!

After much research over the past couple of years, I've decided to pursue an Airstream. As I research the right trailer, I have a few questions that I'm hoping this forum can help with:

1. We have a 2001 Yukon 1500 XL. It is in great shape (less than 100k miles, regular Mobil 1 synthetic oil changes) with a 350 v8 and towing package with transmission cooler. VIN research shows max towing capacity of 8800 lbs and GCWR of 14,000 lbs. Given that we would rarely have any passengers in the Yukon, I'm looking for advice on trailer GVWR and length. I've had my eye on a few 27' trailers with a 7600 GVWR. Would the Yukon handle that or should I consider something smaller?
IMO, the vehicle MIGHT be sufficient, but it depends on where and how you plan to tow. If you do not plan to go to the mountains, your truck would pull the trailer fine, but might struggle going uphill and might be pushed by the trailer coming down (I had a similarly equipped 2000 Silverado). A 27' can have a tongue weight close to 1,000 lbs, depending on load balance, so there would not be much payload capacity left for generator and other camping stuff.

2. Regarding towing safety, what should I be considering? Sway bars, any particular hitch, brakes, etc.?
You will have to have a brake controller added to the tow vehicle in order for the trailer brakes to work.
The main thing you will need is a good weight distribution hitch. Some hitches will have the sway control built into the hitch, less expensive hitches will have an add on friction bar. Quality depends on budget.

3. In regards to used trailers, either less than 10 years old or recent restoration, are there services available for a thorough inspection? I'd prefer if an experienced person could inspect the trailer prior to purchase.
You might join a local Airstream club and learn from members, enough to do your own evaluation. Click on the "Community" tab near the top of the page.

I suspect I'll come up with more questions as my search progresses, but I'll look for the appropriate threads as I get more familiar with this forum.Keep on asking, we'll have a lot of varying opinions

Thanks again!
Old 10-06-2018, 06:15 PM   #5
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Trucks (from all manufacturers) have come a long way in almost 20 years. I would consider finding a truck that has a full tow package on it and that is specifically matched up to whatever trailer you decide on. More or less, don't let the truck dictate the trailer. Find the trailer first and then match a truck with it.

Used trailers are a bit of an unknown until you tear into them. The "big ticket" issues are hidden where you can only guess at their condition. That's not to say all trailers have issues, far from it. The only point is that even with the "best of the best" looking at the trailer, an evaluation is only a guess.

First step is to work out what size trailer you want. A visit to a stocking dealer is generally the best way to work that out. Airstreams don't change all that quickly. What you see in a 2018 is roughly what you will see in a 2008. Some of the "bling" will be different. The seating and floor plan will be very similar. You may find that a 27' is ideal. You may also find that something a bit larger or smaller works better.

The idea (at least to me) is to buy a trailer you will own for a long time. Some seem to like the idea of trading up every year or two. I'd much rather get the right thing up front and spend my time camping .....

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 06:28 PM   #6
Rivet Master

2015 28' International
Ofallon , Missouri
We have a 28’ Airstream with GW of 7500. We tow with Nissan Armada with B8 and yow package rsted for 9000. It does a fine job but I wouldnt wsnt to tiw more. We have 21k miles on the combo.

You will need a weight distributing sway control hitch.

There are several 27/28’ models plus the 25 that should be towable given specs you provided
Old 10-06-2018, 06:49 PM   #7
4 Rivet Member

2016 26' Flying Cloud
Southlake , Texas
You will not like towing with the Yukon. We had a 2001 and bought a 24.5 ft offshore boat that we were towing back and forth to the Texas coast. The least little hill would cause a 4th to 2nd downshift and the engine would almost overrev. It would shock me to the point that I would take my foot off the gas and it would immediately shift back to 4th, only to repeat the process over and over again. Traded the Yukon in on a 3/4 ton Duramax and never looked back. The Yukon would only get about 8mpg towing, whereas the Duramax gets almost 14.
Bgibbs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2018, 07:07 PM   #8
Rivet Master

2019 27' Flying Cloud
Kansas City , Missouri
Texas,
Will you be camping in the heat? If so, most folks find that a 25 foot model does OK with the 1 AC and 30 amp electric. There are some who would take that up a notch to the 2 AC units and 50 amp.

Anything larger than a 25 foot in Texas will probably please you better with the 2 ACs. This is an area you probably want to give a lot of consideration.

In 2016 the AS went to ducted AC units, which are both quieter, and give a bit more headroom in the interiors. Since you are scouting for a not-new unit, this is also an area that warrants consideration.

Another area- if you do decide to look at 25 foot models, pay close attention to both the elbow and knee room on the toilet, and the location and amount of exterior storage. We have a 25 foot rear bed twin for these reasons.

Additionally, the one most often overlooked "extra" is really good towing mirrors. We have the McKesh tow mirrors with convex spots on both sides. Once we got these my husband relaxed and felt comfortable driving the 25 (which is 18 inches wider than the 22 sport we started with). You can buy the McKesh mirrors on the Hensley Hitch website.

For the 25 airstream we use a simple Equalizer hitch and find it perfectly satisfactory. You may prefer something else, especially if you do go with a longer rig and will be driving in a lot of plains crosswinds. Propride or Hensley are pivot hitches that work differently than the Equalizer.

Piggy Bank
Piggy Bank is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 08:27 AM   #9
Half a Rivet Short

2017 30' Classic
2022 Interstate 24X
Carlisle , Pennsylvania
Hi

Off topic a bit (but what's new ...):

At least on the Ford, the towing mirrors on the newer trucks are *way* better than anything they put on them 15 years ago..... Given the way pretty much all the truck outfits follow each other, I'd bet that applies to the rest as well. I used to look at aftermarket mirrors as just something you had to get. They finally (after many decades of mistakes) got it right.

====

One other "feature" of towing (or driving) in Texas is ... errr ... the speed limits. They are ...err.. a bit different than what one sees in the northeast. You can indeed drive any speed below the limit you wish to. That may or may not make those around you happy. Their reactions may or may not make you happy.... Yes, this gets into a *lot* of complex issues, but they are part of what needs to be worked through. (No, I"m not suggesting you need to tow at 90 MPH ... keeping up with at least some of the trucks, maybe so...).

Bob
uncle_bob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2018, 10:33 AM   #10
2 Rivet Member

1985 27' Sovereign
Jonestown , Texas
I’d get a truck. We towed with our Touareg tdi till we through the driveshaft one night. The Tundra has served us well.
Texas Gal 61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2018, 09:57 PM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2020 33' Classic
Heart Of , Texas
Purchased our 2018 28RBQ CCD and have been towing with our 07 Tundra which has a tow capacity of 10,200. Well with in the specs to tow our trailer. Does it need help on hills, yes but this truck has a full tow package which I would recommend on any tow vehicle. I do wish we had a diesel at time but this vehicle is good enough for us. Wife retires in 4 years and we don't wish to run up a new vehicle expense. If this truck goes out I will purchase another used Truck.

2020 Classic 33 FTB
2019 Ford F250
Blue Ox Hitch
KBAR is offline   Reply With Quote