Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 03-19-2008, 07:25 PM   #1

2008 16' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
Tenters getting older

Greetings to all. I've spent a good many hours reading thru the chatter, and enjoyed them all. My partner and I have been avid campers for years. We live in Arizona, and spent many summers traveling up and down the Rockies, usually visiting wilderness areas, tent camping in NF campgrounds, and have done some monumental back packing trips as well.

Recently, it became time to trade in our vehicle, and the new one needs to last for the next ten. We opted for a truck (Honda Ridgeline) with the understanding that sometime over the next ten years we'll likely need to move up off the ground, and get a little more "comfortable" (I'm 50 and 'pard is 55 . . add ten years . . you get the picture).

Although we thought the trailer part would be "down the road", I already have visions of a new AS to go with the new truck. Given our preference for the rustic NF kind of camping, we're thinking the Safari Sport 17 would be ideal . . easy to tow . . able to get into smaller spots . . heck we can even push it around by hand in more challenging spots.

I figure it's a good way to get the economy rolling again ('pard is on the same page yet).

If we "pull the trigger" on this, I'm sure we'll be back with plenty of questions . . many along the lines of boondocking . . and how to maximize our nights without hookups.

Thanks for a highly functional forum . . and more importantly for the active dialogue . . it's obvious that you AS folks are special.

TC (+GM)
thehiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Welcome to the forums. Be sure to check out our classifieds section for the lastest units. Ask the questrions, and we will answer...so dontcha worry bout it.

Steve
Old 03-19-2008, 07:32 PM   #3
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
The 17 is a great little trailer, but you may want to look into the Safari Sport 22. The extra 5' is a big plus, and can make a real difference if y'all are stuck inside waiting for the rain to stop.
Old 03-19-2008, 07:42 PM   #4
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
Welcome to the forums from another Phoenix member. We spent a lot of years in a tent and then a pop up before we made the jump to an Airstream. We have a 25 foot vintage trailer and it works well for the two of us and the 3 dogs. Glad you joined!

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:51 PM   #5
Site Team

1964 26' Overlander
1964 19' Globetrotter
OlyPen , Washington
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
The 17 is a great little trailer, but you may want to look into the Safari Sport 22. The extra 5' is a big plus, and can make a real difference if y'all are stuck inside waiting for the rain to stop.

I second this - I have a tiny trailer and it only took me a few trips to figure this out.

There are a lot of us here who found that the ground got kinda hard. We like to camp in out of the way places or use our trailers for a base camp. Consider going to an Airstream party (we call 'em rallies) and touring through some trailers - ask people about their experiences before you spend a pile of money.

AirForums Custom Search
Janet H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 07:53 PM   #6

2008 16' Safari
Phoenix , Arizona
Thanks . . We'll definately have a look at 'em both. Part of the reluctance has to do with storage space for the unit . . I need to do some measuring . .maybe either will fit. Separately, it seems like what we would gain w/ the 22' is an extra seating space . . which will likely go unused with just 2 people . . maybe we need to get a little more sociable and plan on guests.
thehiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2008, 09:07 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Welcome to the forums. I wish you luck with your search.
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:16 AM   #8
Naysayer

1968 24' Tradewind
Russellville , earth
Maybe a good move would be to get a used pop to use for a couple seasons. If trailers are for the two of you then the transition will be easy, if not, you arent out much.

Visit my photography and painting website
https://rooseveltfineart.com
Instagram is r.w.roosevelt

Boondocker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:22 AM   #9
Rivet Master

1984 31' Airstream310
Central , Ohio
If you get an AS you will have guests!

Welcome, and I hope you find the trailer you are looking for. I used to tent camp, discovered the joy of the air mattress, then discovered the nirvana of the motorhome. The tent is in the attic.

Good luck!

Susan

1984 310 Limited Motor Home "The Rockin' A"
Alumatube is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 08:56 AM   #10
Liberator

1972 Argosy 24
1989 34.5' Airstream 345
Heart of Dixie , Alabama
Steak Out

Going to be tough to match the flexabilty of a tent.
Starting off with a short one will still be a big improvement over a tent.

Ridgeline...how you liking it?
1972 Argosy 24'...
1954 Feathercraft Vagabond
klattu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 09:14 AM   #11
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
Phoenix

I notice you are in Phoenix - which puts you in the land where used Airstreams are GREAT.

The dry climate prevents a lot of the horror stories the damp-ducks like us have on the east coast - leaks,frame rust and floor rot. You're also very fortunate to be somewhat near the four corners unit (yes I know how long the drive to the Grand Canyon is from Phoenix) but the advice to go to a rally or two just cannot be overstated.

One piece of advice you'll hear over and over is to sit on the throne and lie down on the bed - if those aren't comfortable for you you'll never be content with your trailer. Many people with corner beds bemoan the struggle to climb over their partner for the midnight visit to the bathroom... and some of the bathrooms are so small that closing the door while seated is impossible (and after 5 alarm chili, you want that door closed and the fan on HIGH).

The Ridgeline won't tow a big trailer but either of the ones you are interested in should be fine. Good luck in your search and see you down the road.

Paula Ford
Old 03-20-2008, 09:58 AM   #12
Rivet Master

1989 29' Land Yacht
Mesa , Arizona
The Tent Is Gone

WELCOME TO THE AIRSTREAM LIFE FROM JIMMINI IN MESA AZ
YEP AT 69 WE GAVE UP OUR TENT.THAT WAS 3 YEARS AGO WHEN WE GOT A 29 FT AIRSTREAM (SQUARESTREAM)TRAILER.WE STILL DO THE NF CAMPGROUNDS BOONDOCKING(ABOUT 170+DAYS LAST YEAR) BUT IT HAS OPENED A HOLE NEW WORLD OF AIRSTREAM RALLIES WITH THE WBCCI 4 CORNERS UNIT FOR US WITH MANY NEW FOUND FRIENDS
Old 03-20-2008, 02:11 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
PENSACOLA , Florida
Welcome! We used to be tent campers as well, but gave it up...love haaving a fridge for the Champagne! We transitioned from a 21 ft Winnebago Warrior to a 19ft Bambi International and love it. We have 2 dogs and no problem with space. Just recently went caravaning with friends and entertained at the table with another couple no problem. Good Luck
silverbambam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 03:54 PM   #14
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by thehiker
Thanks . . We'll definately have a look at 'em both. Part of the reluctance has to do with storage space for the unit . . I need to do some measuring . .maybe either will fit. Separately, it seems like what we would gain w/ the 22' is an extra seating space . . which will likely go unused with just 2 people . . maybe we need to get a little more sociable and plan on guests.
I thought we wouldn't need all that space, either. But the first time we camped in the trailer we had (20' Argosy), there was a severe thunderstorm, and EVERYbody that was in tents all around us crowded into the trailer. IIRC, there were about 20 people crammed in there.
Then, after a few trips under our belts, I saw that if the weather was bad, it was mucho better to have a bit more breathing room inside.
Old 03-20-2008, 06:06 PM   #15
Rivet Master

2008 28' Safari SE
Placitas , New Mexico
Hi TC & GM

Welcome! You’ll enjoy it here. Lots of really nice folks and great information.

I know what you mean about getting a little old for tent camping. My partner (56) and I (55) both feel the same way. We knew we were getting tired of the ground when we schlepped a thick inflatable mattress and down bedding the last time we camped.

At first we seriously considered getting a pop-up figuring that it would get us off the ground but we’d still be in a tent. That idea only lasted until we saw the inside of an Airstream for the first time. It was all over at that point. It was going to be nothing but an AS.

As we selected the one we’re finally getting, we went through quite a process. We vetoed the 17' and 19' right from the start - I’m just too claustrophobic! We liked both the 23' and the 25' SS but settled on the 28' Safari SE. We’ll be putting the final order in at the end of next week. We’ll have it around the first of May. The thing we liked about the 28' is that it has everything - a real bed, a lounge area and a dinette. We’re afraid if we got a smaller one we would end up trading it up before long.

Anyhow - life is too short. Don’t put it off. Buy it now and stimulate the economy.
Jimandrod is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 06:17 PM   #16
Rivet Master

1991 34' Excella
1963 26' Overlander
1961 26' Overlander
Central , Mississippi
I'm wit ya'
Last year Mrs. HiHo and I accepted a last minute fishing trip - take the boat or take the camper?
Took the boat, tent and two blow up pads...
We fished all day, then went to inflate the pads and one was missing the plug. Instead of one pad and a divorce we both slept(Hah if you want too call that "sleep") in our bags on the tent floor.
I ached so bad I could barely drive home the next day.
I think we will take the camper from now on.

One tent for sale!
HiHoAgRV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 06:23 PM   #17
3 Rivet Member

2007 20' Safari SE
Springfield , Missouri
TC

If it's just the two of you, check out the 20' Safari. It fits in small spaces, makes two beds if needed, and has great counter space and storage. Only thing missing is the lounge area (but we lounge around the campfire).
billberk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2008, 07:17 PM   #18
Always Airstreaming!

2005 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
Anytown , Connecticut
Send a message via AIM to rickandsandi
Welcome to the forum....you picked the right place to make friends and get some solid advise. We were avid tent campers and always enjoyed be out in the woods. Our Safari 22 is the perfect fit for us. Sometime we have my daighter with us so the size is perfect if not a bit snug for three. We went from a four season tent right into an Airstream. Sure we have had to use our tent since the AS [island camping] but it has been the best thing we ever did. Go for the larger trailer if you can. Once in a while we do wish we were a bit bigger but not too often. For the two of us it is perfect and there really isn't anything we would change. Have fun in your search.
Airstream Life Magazine
Proud Member of WBCCI
WBCCI #3411
AIR #17099
2009 Silverado 2500HD
2004 22' Safari
1960 24' Tradewind
rickandsandi is offline   Reply With Quote