Old 12-01-2005, 09:34 AM   #15
The Hawk's Lair

1985 34.5' Airstream 345
BACK WOODS , Minnesota
Quote:
Originally Posted by till
Jim,
I have the whole series, including book 21. Also have the Hornblower series.
Loved the film. I did notice parts of the first ten books in the Far side of the world movie.

I'm reading the Erogon books now. Dragons and such....
What is book 21. If I don't have it I want it.

AIRSTREAM 345 TURBO-DIESEL
VFW, LEGION, NRA

cooperhawk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 03:16 PM   #16
Rivet Master

Lisle , Illinois
Tom,
That would be the Union Pacific "Big Boy" also know as the 4000 class. Built by the ALCO locomotive works in I think New York. There are many of them around still. One was even rummered to be rebuilt for a move but nothing came of it.

Jim,

Book 21 is titled "Book 21" it is the unfinished book. It was found just a couple of years ago and was published with the original manuscrip.

AIR#3788 TAC IL-10
1967/8 Overlander International Twin w/ bunk/s.
Yes, four kids and two adults in the thing.
Happy wife, happy life.
till is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 08:21 PM   #17
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by till
Tom,
That would be the Union Pacific "Big Boy" also know as the 4000 class. Built by the ALCO locomotive works in I think New York. There are many of them around still. One was even rumored to be rebuilt for a movie but nothing came of it.
They were built in Schenedctady, New York. They exited the locomotive business in 1969, after General Electric started building locomotives, instead of supplying electrical parts to ALCo. The Big Boy that was supposed to be rebuilt was number 4018. They weighed over a million pounds, or the equivalent of 166 Overlanders loaded to capacity (dragging the thread back to Airstream content).
Old 12-01-2005, 09:14 PM   #18
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
Ah, yes! And I had the thrill of being in the cab of one, getting to play with all the goodies! And trust me.... for me, it WAS a thrill!!!
I've also chased the Challanger across parts of Iowa.... I do love trains. My grandfather on my dad's side worked for the Illinois Central... until he fell under a train and lost his arm. They backed the train from Galena, Illinois, across the Mississippi, to take him to the hospital in Dubuque!

Elizabeth in Iowa
Old 12-01-2005, 10:03 PM   #19

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cedars
Ah, yes! And I had the thrill of being in the cab of one, getting to play with all the goodies! And trust me.... for me, it WAS a thrill!!!
I've also chased the Challanger across parts of Iowa.... I do love trains. My grandfather on my dad's side worked for the Illinois Central... until he fell under a train and lost his arm. They backed the train from Galena, Illinois, across the Mississippi, to take him to the hospital in Dubuque!

Elizabeth in Iowa
Elizabeth, have you been to the Museum of Transportation in St. Louis? A pretty cool collection here. Well worth the visit. http://www.museumoftransport.org/

One of our forum members Midamrail is the curator and her hubby owns a business that rehabs and rents out passenger cars. http://www.midamericarailcar.com/services.htm

Jack
AIR #56
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500,'14 Honda CTX 700
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2005, 11:06 PM   #20
4 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Waterloo , Iowa
Well, there's another one to put on my list of places to go!

Saw the Big Boy at the National Railroad Museum in Green Bay, Wisconsin. There, one is allowed all over the Engine and tender! Inside the cab! Everything! At least, at the time we were there, that's the way it was.
Web site available at: http://www.nationalrrmuseum.org/index.php
Please note there is plenty of RV parking on the grounds.... not camping mind you, but day parking! And taking in food or drink is only discouraged during certain times spelled out on the site.

Ooooh! And I see Thomas the Train is visiting! Wouldn't my granddaughter love that! And what the hey! With an Airstream all is possible! LOL!!

Elizabeth in Iowa
Old 12-02-2005, 06:19 AM   #21
Well Preserved

1993 21' Sovereign
Colfax , North Carolina
Gee, I see a secondary interest coming out of hiding in many of us.
If you would like to join/visit a forum about trains, you can go to www.trainforums.com
You will find it looks eerily familiar....
I am bnsf971 there.
Old 12-02-2005, 06:27 AM   #22
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
Quote:
Originally Posted by overlander63
Gee, I see a secondary interest coming out of hiding in many of us.
If you would like to join/visit a forum about trains, you can go to www.trainforums.com
You will find it looks eerily familiar....
I am bnsf971 there.
Maybe someone needs to do a study and see how many Airstreamers are also involved with trains...model or railfanning...I am guilty on both counts Must be some deep rooted psycological trigger In fact that is in the long range plans for the Airstream...travel and see all the train museums and displays that I can

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2005, 06:36 AM   #23
Just an old timer...

Tipton , Iowa
While I know very little about trains myself, I have a friend who lives just a couple of miles from the Mexican border in San Diego County who has a restored caboose that he uses as his guest house! His grandfather was a conductor, and he's doing his best to furnish the caboose with original railroad antiques and memoribilia. I have photos around here somewhere if I can find them...

Roger