Old 10-07-2006, 06:12 PM   #1

1969 27' Overlander
Frankfort , Michigan
teaching in New Mexico

hello all! this is a fabulous resource for a total airstream novice...many thanks! I am living in a campground and teaching high school art in a small town in New Mexico. I love my 69 Overlander although the learning curve has been a bit steep. Borrowed my son's greaseburning Ford 250 and towed from Michigan but no one locally, or on the road could fix the trailer brakes until Indianapolis! many new gray hairs and wrinkles! New Mexico is wonderful, high school students are entertaining and challenging, it is great to come home at the end of the day and watch the sun set from my cozy new home. Now I am going to see if anyone knows how to sew curtains. Ellie Mac

Old 10-07-2006, 06:18 PM   #2
Site Team

1975 25' Tradewind
Dewey , Arizona
Welcome tot he forums! The problem with visiting the Southwest is that you never want to leave. That happened to me after Uncle Sam sent me here many years ago.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 10:39 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1995 25' Excella
1961 26' Overlander
1982 34' Limited
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Send a message via Skype™ to Airstream25
New Mexico is wonderful

Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenmac
hello all! I am living in a campground and teaching high school art in a small town in New Mexico. I love my 69 Overlander New Mexico is wonderful, high school students are entertaining and challenging, it is great to come home at the end of the day and watch the sun set from my cozy new home. Now I am going to see if anyone knows how to sew curtains. Ellie Mac
Hi Ellie, Welcome to NM. If you plan to stay, you might be interested in the proposed new Four Corners Unit of the WBCCI Airstream club that we are trying to get formed. There are about a dozen of us so far and we are always looking for people that like to camp around the Four Corners area in their Airstreams.
More info in the link in my sig below
AIR #10274
Airstream25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2006, 11:27 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
Ellie Mac,
Welcome to the forums! I love N.M. also, especially northern N.M. and into Colorado. Beautiful area.
It sounds like you've already spent some time here on the forums, and already know how helpful folks are. I love the collective knowledge base here.
Good luck with your new job, I have to hand it to you teachers. I couldn't do what you do, especially for what they pay you. My hat's off to you.
Old 10-08-2006, 09:36 PM   #5
2 Rivet Member

2006 19' International CCD
Dallas , Texas
welcome

Hi Ellie,

Welcome to the forums! I'm green with envy since NM is my second favorite place, behind my native Texas! How wonderful that you teach art! I make a living as an artist, too, just not teaching. Are you north,central or south? I spend a good deal of time in Santa Fe, but have not yet taken my Airstream there, as I am pretty new to AS ownership. Hopefully next Spring, though......

I just finished making the new curtains in my Bambi! It was pretty easy, but then I used the old ones as my pattern for size and then used the lining which had the little tabs on them that fit into the tracks. I bet there is a seamstress that can sew them for you out there; and if you need any pointers, I'd be happy to help. Best of luck to you!

Nancy (indiancreek)
Old 12-27-2006, 02:06 PM   #6

2003 22' International CCD
mountainair , New Mexico
I also am a new to this area -teacher- I am teaching in Estancia Nm. I am from Ill. originally. We bought our airstream because we were homeless and waiting for our home to be built. We actually live close to Mountainair.
Old 12-27-2006, 02:21 PM   #7
Rivet Master

1995 30' Limited
Ashland , Missouri
Linda, welcome to you also! Our forum membership in the Four Corners seems to be building fast. As a just retired teacher, I'm glad to see young people continuing to take on the challenge and vocation of teaching ~G
Chev Silverado 2500HD Duramax/Allison, 4X4, Crew Cab
WBCCI #5013 AIR #2908
WDCU
Go, Mizzou...Tigers on the prowl!
maxandgeorgia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 03:55 PM   #8
Rivet Master

1974 27' Overlander
1954 26' Romany Cruiser
1960 26' Overlander
Rockingham County , New Hampshire
Send a message via AIM to balrgn Send a message via Yahoo to balrgn
Quote:
Originally Posted by ellenmac
hello all! this is a fabulous resource for a total airstream novice...many thanks! I am living in a campground and teaching high school art in a small town in New Mexico. I love my 69 Overlander although the learning curve has been a bit steep. Borrowed my son's greaseburning Ford 250 and towed from Michigan but no one locally, or on the road could fix the trailer brakes until Indianapolis! many new gray hairs and wrinkles! New Mexico is wonderful, high school students are entertaining and challenging, it is great to come home at the end of the day and watch the sun set from my cozy new home. Now I am going to see if anyone knows how to sew curtains. Ellie Mac
Welcome! Sounds like you have a nice spot! ost pics of that sunset if you can.
We are just about to start new curtains for our 73 Ovelander. Should prove intesting.
'60 Overlander (Hoagy)
2007 GMC Sierra 2500 HD Duramax
WBCCI 1754 - AIR # 6281
www.balrgn.com
balrgn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2006, 05:12 PM   #9
Vintage Alum. Enthusiast

1959 24' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
Welcome EllenMac. Glad to have you aboard. Artists and Airstreams seem to be a good matchas I'm an artist too. Used to teach graphic design and am now in administration of one of the schools where I taught. Looking forward to seeing pictures of those now famous sunsets. What small town are you teaching in?

Brad
FF

I'm haunted by aluminum.
Charter Member of the 4 Corners Unit.
flyfshr is offline   Reply With Quote