Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 04-07-2006, 06:35 PM   #1

Tambour Doors

HELLO I am Jim. I own a 1978 caravaner, it is in need of some help in the kitchen dept. Wear can I find the tambour doors for the sink cabnet. I can't find any place to have them made. Any sugestions. Jim
jmcoste is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 07:21 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1976 31' Sovereign
Currently Looking...
Chandler , Oklahoma
Go to www.winonamanufacturing.com and that may help you find materials to repair or replace your doors. I was able to replace the bathroom cabinet door with a solid door. I was just tired of trying to force it open. The verticle lift doors usually work fine but those side pull ones are a pain. Here is my bathroom cabinet door before and after.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0001_2.JPG
Views:	134
Size:	43.4 KB
ID:	20253   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_0003.JPG
Views:	122
Size:	24.4 KB
ID:	20254  

juel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2006, 07:52 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Jim -- Another hint is to use the search function on the word 'Winona' and you should uncover a mix of posts and maybe a how-to...

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2006, 07:54 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

1972 29' Ambassador
1968 22' Safari
Tyler , Texas
Tambour was invented by the devil

I've reached the end of my patience with trying to replace/repair the rotten tambour under the sink in my '72 International. The PO said he couldn't do it, either, and he was a mechanic! The replacement material should have worked great, but it buckled, bound up, and popped everywhere along the track. What's worse, the veneer on the outside began to split and crack off after only a few pulls. I tried greasing the track and it bound worse than ever. One good pull and the tambour ripped apart like cardboard (no surprise--that's what the backing is!)

I think I'm going to replace the whole thing with a straight-dropped piece of shower curtain in a nice seashore print and forget that I ever heard about tambour.
26.982 amu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 06:20 AM   #5

1979 29' Ambassador
1992 19' "B" Van Airstream 190
winter park , Florida
tambour doors

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmcoste
HELLO I am Jim. I own a 1978 caravaner, it is in need of some help in the kitchen dept. Wear can I find the tambour doors for the sink cabnet. I can't find any place to have them made. Any sugestions. Jim Costellojim@hotmail.com
Hello Jim, if you log onto google and enter tambour doors, many sites will pop up.I purchased 3 sheets 4 feet by 6 feet. They were red oak real wood 1/2"slats 1/4" thick. I cut them to size and stained them to match my trailer. It worked out great at a much lower price than you can get this product any where else I paid 45.00.You can also enter roll top desk parts and sites will come up.Cabinet shops use this material.It is a lot cheaper this way than going through Airstream or Argosy.Goog luck hunting for this material Don
Old 04-09-2006, 07:26 AM   #6
Rivet Master

1994 30' Excella
Currently Looking...
Milwaukee , Wisconsin
We have two new members to welcome here, Tinman and Jimcoste. Welcome to the forum to you both. I had this link book marked back from the days I owned a trailer, maybe it will be helpful to you.
http://www.tapeease.com/veneer1.htm
Old 04-09-2006, 09:29 AM   #7

Does anyone have any experience dealing with the company Tape Ease? I have been looking through their product and wonder about the quality. If I use this, will my vertically-sliding doors under my sink actually slide, or am I buying trouble? What color laminate did you choose? How did you cut the tambour laminate?

Thanks to all who have replied to this post--you information is helpful. I am trying to keep my Airstream as original as possible and would like a laminate tambour replacement.
Old 04-09-2006, 09:33 AM   #8

Thanks for the info, Chaplain Kent. Would you be able to share any more information with me about Tape Ease. I had been looking at their supplies and it is a bit confusing. What color of laminate best matches the airstreams wood tone? They tell me the only sell in large sheets. How did you cut the tambour laminate and did you do anything special to the edges to prevent breaking? I am planning on using this on a vertical slide cabinet with a dimension of about 12"x48".

Thanks!
Jim Costello
costellojim@hotmail.com