2 Rivet Member
1973 25' Tradewind
Phoenix , Arizona
I doubt it!

I doubt we'll be too shocked.

I love my 70's Airstream. Fix it up!

Jim Breitinger
Phoenix, Arizona

Fulltimer since April 2007 with my dog Jake. In the first year we hit 32 states and D.C.

Visit today
utahredrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 10:43 AM   #16
Rivet Master
2000 25' Safari
West of Fort Worth , Texas
The matter of cost has been hinted at here, and is something that you may or may not be concerned with.
From all I hear from those who have gone through the rehab process, it is MUCH cheaper to buy a trailer that someone else has already done the work on. (And spent the money)

If you have the money, the time and the inclination - then by all means move forward. It can be a challenging and rewarding project.

AIR #15800

"Wimpy" 1/2 ton 2002 GMC Sierra 4X4 Z-71 Gasser
2000 Safari SS 25'
Fyrzowt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 11:07 AM   #17
2 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Auburn , Washington
First of all, Welcome to the forums and the Airstream family!

My wife and I are just starting our re-hab of our 76 Argosy. We look at it as a labor of love for our future enjoyment. With every little thing we do, we know we're closer to having a great time with the many future friends we hope to meet. So, with that in mind, take your time and make your coach your own and then get out and enjoy it!!

Dan and Sherry W.
strmstr69 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 06:18 PM   #18
1 Rivet Member
1976 31' Sovereign
Eugene , Oregon
Reasons to fix it ourselves

The good news: We already have the trailer. We don't have a schedule to meet, and we don't mind the work.

The bad news: Parts are expensive; there's so much to learn.

Good news wins! (At least for now)
licketysplit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2008, 06:40 PM   #19
Rivet Master
1969 25' Tradewind
Irmo , South Carolina
You'll find tons of good information here. I pretty much grew up in an Airstream, and still learn something new about them on a regular basis. You can pretty much bet that whatever problem you come across, someone else has come across the same thing and was generous enough to post a fix for it on the forum. Vintage Airstreaming is an adventure like no other. You'll find that most people willing to nurse a 30+ year-old travel trailer back to health are a different breed, willing to think outside the box a bit in order to solve problems unique to their big silver toys. And none of us would have it any other way! Whenever the work seems a little overwhelming, just step outside for a minute, take a deep breath, look at your baby and take a little comfort in the fact that you aren't alone. There are hundreds of us just like you that have dealt with all of the same problems, and we're here to help. Welcome to the family!
AIR #8891
Unrestored 1969 25' Tradewind
Overkill Tow Vehicle of the Year Award:
1997 Chevy C3500 Crew Cab Dually 6.5L Turbo Diesel
Journalist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2008, 10:05 AM   #20
1 Rivet Member
1976 31' Sovereign
Eugene , Oregon
That's the Best News of All

I forgot to mention the best news: All the wonderful people who take the time to document and post their Airstream experiences so others can benefit from them. How cool is that!

licketysplit is offline   Reply With Quote