Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-03-2006, 10:54 AM   #1
kat
1 Rivet Member

Fort Lauderdale , Florida
SWM "bohemian" type seeks lasting relationship with travel trailer

Hi all.
kat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 12:28 PM   #2
kat
1 Rivet Member

Um.... there were more words.... dang computer!

I had originally typed a brief description of the idea I have for my first Airstream, but maybe a simple hello is better for this section.

That and a general thanks, because this forum has already helped me considerably.

Thanks, kat
Old 05-03-2006, 12:41 PM   #3

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
Hi Kat, I thought you were just a man of few words

Welcome to the forum. Posting problems get us all sometimes, feel free to try again and tell us about your ideas!

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 02:15 PM   #4
kat
1 Rivet Member

Thanks Stefrobrts. Actually I talk/type exsessively.

I didn't see a section that addressed my plans anyway, so here goes....

I'm looking for an AS to customize fairly radically. It's not that I wouldn't love to own a vintage trailer in original condition, I would. Perhaps that will happen in the future also. What I want is an "apartment" to park adjacent to my beautiful girlfriend's house which is currently under construction. I will be continuing to live with her in the new house, but need a private space to dream, sulk, listen to music, solve world hunger, etc. The house we have now has an efficiency apartment (180 sq.ft.) which serves this purpose now.

This design would not be very practicle for road trips and would not be moved very often I imagine. I would even like to hook it up to the house's plumbing and electrical systems in a semi-permanent fashion.

I don't picture any modifications to the exterior of the trailer. On the inside I would like to create space for; a desk and small file cabinet, a big comfy bed (w/ room for Cindy), and a music area (3000 records, 2 turntables, seating for 4, dancing for 2).

The standard bathrooms and kitchens found in Airstreams are sufficient for my needs.

To give you a better idea, I will probably spend about 2/3 of my time in the trailer and 1/3 in the house. I'll sleep in it half of the time. (I love my girlfriend very much, but I'm hard to live with if I don't get some privacy)

Any suggestions are appreciated.

Thanks, kat.
Old 05-03-2006, 02:52 PM   #5
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Sprung Leak , North Carolina
kat,
I would look for an abused mid to late 70's vintage Sovereign (31') they are typically the cheapest ones and the most common ones out there. The reason I suggest abused is that you are going to be gutting it anyway so find want that has already been started

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Why are we in this basket...and where are we going
wahoonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 03:01 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1968 26' Overlander
Wenatchee WA , Cape Cod
He's right. You will frequently see on eBay gutted airstreams. People have big ideas of starting over and then quickly realize they are out of their league. So they end up for sale on eBay. Happy hunting.
1968 Overlander - WBCCI #5793
Uberlanders is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 03:08 PM   #7
kat
1 Rivet Member

Thanks wahoonc.

Since my last post I've found the pertinent sections of the forum. I'm a little sleep deprived lately.

I think I just have enough time-energy-money to redo an interior. I'm afraid that a rough coach will need too much structural work. I saw photos of coaches with the shells removed and it reminded me how busy I've been for the past year. What are the chances of finding something that is structurally sound, but with an abused/removed interior?

I have around $10k total to play with.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:10 PM   #8
Rivet Master

Greetings KAT

For what it's worth ....My bloodline is actually Bohemian.

I would be concerned about zoning. Many municipalities give you
a hard time about even storing a trailer much less using it as living space.
If you are out in the middle of nowhere, a shed might work better for you.
Condensation rains in trailers in extreme weather conditions. IMHO
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 03:11 PM   #9
kat
1 Rivet Member

I'll check into Ebay, thanks Uberlanders.

I must confess that I'm hesitant to purchase something that big (literally) without poking and sniffing it. I am willing to drive a few hundred miles to check out something that looks good though.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:13 PM   #10

1968 17' Caravel
Battle Ground , Washington
If you really plan on parking it and not trailering it, then don't wory about structural problems, unless you find one that you will literally fall through the floor of. There are lots of perfectly good gutted trailers out there. $10k is a lot to play with.

Stefrobrts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 03:19 PM   #11
kat
1 Rivet Member

Hey! I got a rivet!

Hi mandolindave. I hope no offense is taken by Bohemians. I consider the lifestyle definition to be a positive one.

I don't think zoning will be a problem because the property is in very rural SW Georgia where there is a "live and let live" attitude. Also the house will barely be visible from the (gravel) road most of the year.

The climate might be an issue though. It's very warm in the summers, and it's humid/rainy all year.
Old 05-03-2006, 03:43 PM   #12
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
Quote:
Originally Posted by kat
Thanks wahoonc.

I think I just have enough time-energy-money to redo an interior. I'm afraid that a rough coach will need too much structural work. I saw photos of coaches with the shells removed and it reminded me how busy I've been for the past year. What are the chances of finding something that is structurally sound, but with an abused/removed interior?

I have around $10k total to play with.
My wife would LOVE for me to sell you mine for $10K Actually the chances are pretty good. I have seen 3 in the past month that were in okay condtion with prices ranging from $4k-6K. The 4k one was fairly priced the 6k I thought was a bit high for the condtion. They are out there it just takes a bit of time to locate the correct one.

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 05-03-2006, 03:45 PM   #13
Rivet Master

Hey KAT

No offense at all. I just thought you might think it was fun to meet a
real life Bohemian.

I have a place in the middle of nowhere too, and I have plans like yours.
But I am thinking about a shed instead of a trailer.
Trailers are designed to be light and water tight. Other factors are compromised. R value and strength suffer. You could buy a real nice
shed for 5K and have plenty left to fix it up. An Airstream would be much
more fun though.
mandolindave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 04:07 PM   #14
kat
1 Rivet Member

wahoonc: My original budget was based on a trailer that I could use for trips. Now that I'm leaning toward a more stationary scenario I guess I can save more $ for satelite internet systems, a big screen tv, and more records of course.

mandolindave: I have considered many options including a shed. My favorite other than the AS is an ISO shipping container. They're watertight, they can stand winds of 100 mph, can be picked up and moved anywhere in the world, and they'll hold about 30 tons. Containers can be modified after purchase or ordered to your specs. They're stackable too! Decent used ones go for about $3k.

One reason I've ruled them out is that it won't look too purdy next to our brand new house. Another reason is that the semi's that pick up and deliver them don't like to go off of the pavement.

So those are the main reasons, looks and easier mobility, even if it's rarely moved.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:15 PM   #15
Rivet Monster

1975 31' Sovereign
1980 31' Excella II
kat,
I have one of those too (shipping container) and you are right they are butt ugly, doesn't matter what color you paint them Mine is an unusual one...it is all aluminum except for the corner frames and strong back. Mine was basically free, had to pay to have it hauled out to the house from about an hour away I may eventually either cut mine up for scrap or hang vinyl house siding on it to make it look better. But before I do that I am going to get a second one to put beside this one and put trusses over the top for a 40' long garage in between them

Aaron
WBCCI #XXXX AIR #2495
Old 05-03-2006, 04:20 PM   #16
2 Rivet Member

1983 31' Excella
Caldwell , Texas
I bought a used 20'er for $1900 this year ( shipping container) real nice storage sheld
40'er are about 3k
Don , in Texas
ibedonc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 04:22 PM   #17
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Ya know, there is a 1996 model 34 footer in the forums classifieds right now that you may be able to afford, I think they want just a little more than you say you want to pay, or best offer.
Old 05-03-2006, 04:38 PM   #18
kat
1 Rivet Member

Thanks overlander63.

Since I've decided to rarely move it I can back through the classifieds and look at the larger trailers. I had limited myself to 25 feet previously.
Old 05-03-2006, 05:57 PM   #19
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Shipping containers & Airstreams!

Quote:
Originally Posted by kat
wahoonc: My favorite other than the AS is an ISO shipping container. They're watertight, they can stand winds of 100 mph, can be picked up and moved anywhere in the world, and they'll hold about 30 tons. Containers can be modified after purchase or ordered to your specs. They're stackable too! Decent used ones go for about $3k.

One reason I've ruled them out is that it won't look too purdy next to our brand new house. Another reason is that the semi's that pick up and deliver them don't like to go off of the pavement.

Looks like I have the best of both worlds. I own two of each! The containers were $2600 each, delivered and leveled. I have 5 acres in the woods (way off pavement), so there's plenty of room, and I don't have to deal with neighbors concerns about aesthetics.

Words of advice: If not properly ventilated, they are like giant pizza ovens in the summer, the noises they make as they expand and contract as the temperature changes are rather interesting, condensation can be an issue at times, and they will fill up with all your cool stuff before you know it. Oh, make sure they are grounded.
SilverRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2006, 06:13 PM   #20
Rivet Master

2005 19' Safari
1968 24' Tradewind
Rural , Delaware
Airstream Bohemians

Almost forgot... a great tune by one of my favorite singer/songwriters:

http://tinyurl.com/j3xnt

"From an Indiana Dodge
To an Airstream by the parkway
In the silver they would lodge