Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 05-18-2017, 09:17 PM   #1

Currently Looking...
Bedford , Texas
Smile Switching from Sportsmobile to Airstream

My husband and I had a Sportsmobile on a Ford E350. Loved it. Put about 60K miles on it then sold it.

Looking to do a trailer/tow vehicle combination so that setting up for sleep is more seamless and cooking and other bio-functions are more private.

Looking for the perfect fit --- which we think may be small for us based on our love for the Sportsmobile. Interested in everyone's experiences and opinions!

elaine
elainefair is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 05:34 AM   #2

Vintage Kin Owner
... , ...
Welcome,

RV size and TV preferences vary greatly and you are likely to receive a wide range of opinions. Personally I prefer something in the 25 to 28 foot range. As for TV's, my thoughts are to procure the TV based on the RV selected. You'll want enough towing capacity for the RV and all contents plus a buffer (15 to 20% IMO). You can get this in many forms; e.g. SUV, 1/2 or 3/4 ton truck, etc., the decision ultimately up to you on this.

Best of luck in your purchase endeavor.

Just my 2¢

"One of the best lessons I've learned is that you don't worry about criticism from people you wouldn't seek advice from."

William C. Swinney

Kevin245 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2017, 09:21 AM   #3
Rivet Master

2014 20' Flying Cloud
Sag Harbor , New York
Welcome to the forum! I would visit the nearest Airstream dealer with a good inventory and check out all the different sizes in person. From our perspective the following items are important filters for your eventual pick:

-- wet or dry bath (with stall shower)
-- kitchen layout and counter space
-- windows -- large opening with screen, or small Hehr sliding operable
-- mattress size/location/side access
-- single or double axle

The search function at the top, with the blue border, works very well and is powered by Google. You can enter quite a few search terms and get fairly precise results from inside this airforums.com site.

There are tons of threads comparing different sizes, so a search for "size 27 or 28" for instance yields:

https://www.google.com/search?q=size...=airforums.com

Good luck!

Peter
OTRA15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2017, 07:59 AM   #4

Currently Looking...
Bedford , Texas
heading east

A major concern for us is where we will fit while visiting our children and grandchildren. All 3 of our kids live on the east coast. There just isn't room in many of the places we will be going for anything bigger than a total of 40 feet.

Because we will want a generator, we know that we want a truck --- still up in the air about which one. DH is leaning towards a midsize so that we can get around in major cities on the east coast when un-tethered. The size of the truck will limit the size of the Airstream.

My husband is 6'4" so the size of the beds is a major consideration. He needs a layout which will allow him to hang his feet off the end of the bed.
elainefair is offline   Reply With Quote