Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-10-2018, 12:40 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Las Vegas , Nevada
Stolen 1960 24' Trade Wind

My 1960 24' Single Axel Trade Wind with the double bed floor plan was stolen over the Easter Holiday. The next day, Monday 4/2/2018 the Police were called and a report was given and they only called me back today 4/10/2018. Guess they will put it in their system now. It has the Nameplate ID# T24-0358 and was built in Santa Fe Springs, CA 11/99.
I've owned it since February 1991 and it was to be restored for my retirement years.

Las Vegas Metropolitan Police Event ID 180402-2057

Makes me wonder how many are stolen out there.

Dennis
Vegas Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 01:03 PM   #2
Rivet Master

1966 24' Tradewind
1995 34' Excella
Lynchburg , Virginia
Vegas Baby

So sorry. Do you have a photo you could post?

I will be on the lookout for it.

Dan
TouringDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 01:05 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
SECURITY CAMERAS - no, I am not going to tell you that you should have had one...

BUT the police will do basically nothing to actively LOOK for your trailer. YOU CAN. Go door to door in a 2 to 6 block radius of where your trailer was, and ask if they have exrernal cameras, and have the archieved video from the time of the theft. Wish ypu had posted immediately, but with mewer hardware keeping a years worth of recordings is good liability insurance.

Gas stations, convenience stores, churches and almost any business with a parking lot are hot spots to check. Srart with the driveway the thief had to take and move outward.

---- also check craigslist, etc. And consider placing an innocent sounding ad for a trailer similar to yours under "wanted to buy"

So sorry. Wish you the best of luck. And please let us know how it is going. I can check your profile but you will get more eyes looking in your area if you post again with your city, state and if possible with pictures of your Airstream... especially any exterior damage, decals, etc.

Paula
Old 04-10-2018, 01:06 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2012 25' FB Eddie Bauer
Vintage Kin Owner
Virginia Beach , Virginia
DUH... vegasbaby as a user name was a CLUE wasn't it?
Old 04-10-2018, 01:34 PM   #5
Rivet Master

2007 22' International CCD
Corona , California
On the subject of SECURITY CAMERAS...

They are a fair deterrent, only if your neighborhood is fairly safe. There are lots of videos shown on the news of folks getting robbed in the LA area in which the perps don't even care if cameras are there. I prefer a pack of noisy dogs, personally, backed up by local street knowledge that we will most probably shoot first...and accurately.

We had an assault incident in our area, and the cops came by and asked if I had managed to catch the perp on my recordings. A few minutes of searching found a really good shot of the possible suspect's face from a couple angles, actually running from the direction of the scene. The cop personally came by to pick up the DVD copy. Don't know if it helped, but that is one of the possibilities.

Note that I have a smallish home-type system--it manages to keep about a week to 10 days at max worth of video, so jump on it fast before the data is automagically deleted...
2012 shortbed CrewMax 4x4 Toyota Tacoma TV with more antennae on it.
rmkrum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 01:41 PM   #6
4 Rivet Member

1995 30' Excella
Harper Woods , Michigan
He's a link to Vegasbaby's previous post that has pictures.

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f526...nd-179955.html

Are there any unique features, dents, or defects that are readily visible?

The advice given above (#3) about searching out video could be very useful. Were the tires low, and possibly in need of inflation before going very far? They may have stopped at a gas station or convenience store where cameras are common.

I'm concerned that it will be re-titled under a salvage or 'home-constructed' trailer. Here in Michigan, I went to the state to get a plate for a trailer that I'd had for years. When I presented the title, I discovered that the state occasionally purges old trailer titles! So I had to buy a new title before buying the plate (what a rip!).

Hmm, I better check my homeowner's insurance, to see what may or may not be covered while the trailer is parked on my property. I do have it locked down with locked chocks, but that's no sure guarantee.
Bob Blarney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2018, 03:19 PM   #7
Site Team

2002 25' Safari
Dewey , Arizona
A 60 TW that someone added front wing windows to makes it very unique.

Richard

Wally Byam Airstream Club 7513
azflycaster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2018, 07:16 PM   #8
1 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Las Vegas , Nevada
Slow Police Response

Yeah, 10 days later the detective calls me and finally put the information in The system. He claims all the video systems at gas stations and stores don't cover the streets.

So I think they are about useless.

Reminds me of 1976 when I reported a theft of 8 track tapes from my first car here in Vegas, I followed them and even gave the police the license number and description.

They were useless then also.

I have hopes, but am placing no bets.
Old 04-12-2018, 07:32 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1960 24' Tradewind
Las Vegas , Nevada
trailer security system ideas

So a aftermarket roof vent or A/C cover with built in solar cells for power and an attached cell phone/gps device might just save a lot of trailers. We all may have to resort to cameras in our trailers so they can also phone home and supply and record video while it's on the move.

Sorry, I was wrong, the detective called after 8 days, not 10.

Maybe a motion detector and loud horns, again in the roof vents or A/C, but that would get noisy whenever the wind were to blow.

Just looking for solutions for an existing problem should I or anyone else want to protect their Airstream.

Tags