Old 03-16-2014, 12:13 PM   #1
2004 30' Classic
Methuen , Massachusetts
Still wet behind the ears

Hello to all my fellow brothers and sisters Air streamers.

My name is Jay and I am brand spanking new to Air steam as a whole. I have done many research and had read hundreds of articles from the forums on this site for about six months and decided from reading and research that Airstream was the best way for me and my family's camping needs. We have tent camped for years and was going to upgrade tents for pop up trailer, but, In searching for the best the name Air stream would pop up everywhere. So because I love nothing but the best I purchased a 2004 Airstream classic 30W from the classified section of this site. Listing is still available....I am writing because of many reasons, first of all I purchased blind and this troubled me as I never have done this, but seems from these forums high % do. Thank goodness I checked out seller extensively (sent me his picture ID and ran a background check) and so far he has been great with my unsatisfactory findings. Not easy to deal with as he is across country in California and I am in east coast North of Boston area. My issues is that I should have had the trailer Checked by a inspector prior to purchasing, then I should of had him winterize or drained properly because it was coming delivered from FL and it arrived from a paid transporter to below freezing temperatures here in boston. I also could not get the furnace to blow hot heat when delivered to at least keep interior warm, nor could start the water heater because I noticed burned wiring to furnace and an infestation of mud dauber wasp nest ( I believe thats what they are called) everywhere there is a hole, also on stabilizer jacks and compartments. First thing first....I need to get furnace to ignite. I have taken it a part as I am handy and vacuumed it out reconnected it, turned on gas, then the power switch to furnace and then thermostat. Blower fan comes on then I hear a clicking noise from igniter but nothing happens just cold air. I shut down thermostat but blower stays on constant I have to physically turn off furnace switch. Any suggestions? Really want to deal with this first and then with the other issues with water heater. PLEASE HELP.

New to all this,

jaiflo6101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:27 PM   #2
Rivet Master
2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
I assume you turned on the gas and are sure the tank has gas in it. If so, it can take quite a few cycles for the gas to reach the heater. In my 20', I find that getting the stove to light first ensures gas in in all the lines to the other appliances. But that might be particular to the layout of my appliances. Worth checking though.

Wayne&Sam is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:30 PM   #3
65th Anniversary CLIPPER
1996 36' Clipper Bus
Tub City , British Columbia
Welcome to the world of Airstream Jay.

Have you got good LPG pressure? Can you run all burners on the stove?

Have you got full battery power? If the blower motor is not running fast enough the sail switch won't contact. Pull the connecter to the sail switch and make sure it has good contact.

Pull the connector to the print board and reconnect to make good contact?

I should ask for confirmation of furnace make and model! Most brands have trouble shooting guides on line.

"LOVE and LOSS, are two of the greatest emotions one can experience. -- I went to school to learn about "WHAT GOES UP MUST COME DOWN" but I had to live my life to learn the lesson of: 'WITH LOVE THERE WILL BE SORROW'."
David Stewart. (after loosing my NAVIGATOR)
masseyfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-16-2014, 12:31 PM   #4

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Hi Jay. First off, welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.

Sorry for your trouble, but all these things are fixable. The first thing that I would do is light the stove top burners and the oven. If they work, you will at least know that your LP system is putting gas in the lines. This will also give you some initial source of heat in the trailer.

If the furnace is getting gas, but not lighting, it is most likely that the igniter has a problem and may need to be replaced.

SuEllyn & Brian McCabe
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2011 Silverado 3500 (Fred) with Outfitter Truck Camper (Ethel)
moosetags is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2014, 05:37 AM   #5
2004 30' Classic
Methuen , Massachusetts
Hello all thanks for the response. I have turned on the LPG and started the stove all burners work fine and light. I have an Atwood furnace I believe its an excaliber. I did take apart the cover to blower maybe the sail switch is not sitting right, I will check that. I have 3/4 full on both tanks as well. I will recheck all contacts for corrosion as well
jaiflo6101 is offline   Reply With Quote