Old 07-08-2011, 12:11 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

1969 29' Ambassador
Box Elder , South Dakota
Talking Starting to look for My AS

I have been Rv'n for a couple of years have had several RVs; Class C, 5th wheel and now a Class A, all older models. I am in a class A now(96 Allegro) and though it has been good to me my style of RV'n is changing from moving every couple of days to traveling and spending more time at a destination. The idea of parking the trailer and using the TV to get around is more and more enticing. So I have begun to look and research about AS and Argosy trailers.

I think my plans in the future will be to spend winters in Arizona/Texas and summers in Idaho and the NW. Until I can't do it anymore. I love to travel and meet new people and experience new locations. The RV lifestyle suits me to a "T". I live where I want and move when I want a very stimulating life.

I hope to learn a lot by reading this forum and asking questions now and then, I know I have a lot to learn about Airstreams and all that goes with them.

I have always admired the look of the Airstream trailers and the quality of their construction compared to other products out there and and older AS has some character and can spruce up a neighborhood just by visiting it.

Old 07-08-2011, 12:55 AM   #2
Rivet Master

2009 27' FB International
Los Angeles , California
Welcome to the forum and good luck with your search. You will get lots of good advice and suggestions here.

WBCCI #1215
Air #54601

Remember... No matter where you go, there you are...

2009 27FB International Ocean Breeze
2010 Toyota Tundra CrewMax, 5.7L V8, 4x4
Scott J-24 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 01:28 AM   #3

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with HAHA
2005 Suburban 2500 Quadrasteer (Olivia) & 2018 Silverado 2500 (Lillian)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 02:25 AM   #4
4 Rivet Member

2012 28' International
Antioch , SF Bay Area
Welcome from one "newbie" to another! This forum is a wealth of info - I lurked here for a couple of months educating myself before we took the plunge - it was super helpful!
Old 07-08-2011, 06:58 AM   #5

2006 19' International CCD
Olathe , Kansas
Welcome! You have a very appealing plan and I'm sure you will find a wealth of info on here. Good luck!
blmitch5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:54 AM   #6
Rivet Master

2008 22' Safari
Oracle , Arizona
Welcome, your idea makes sense and is pretty much what we did. It's so much easier to unhook and use the TV to roam around. Uses less fuel too.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:19 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
Welcome. We have had out AS only a short time and are loving it. Our former trailering experience was a pop up when the kids were young so this is a step up both in the comfort level and the towing. Just as a personal suggestion, unless money is no object and you can afford a brand new AS, look for a late model (4-5 years) that suits your needs size-wise and then purchase tow vehicle accordingly. That will leverage somone else already having taken the off the lot depreciation hit. Having not owned an "older AS" (ours is a 2006) I can't speak as knowledgeably on the subject as others here but I would be somewhat concerned about the amount of maintenance above and beyond the regular stuff on an older AS. And as I say that's based just on what I would want to do (enjoy life as opposed to squeeze life in between fixing things) and extend my apologies in advance to vintage AS owners on here whom I greatly respect for their awesome abilities and great restoration work. Just my two cents worth.
Old 07-08-2011, 09:51 AM   #8
Rivet Master

1958 30' Sovereign of the Road
Plymouth , New York
Send a message via Skype™ to robandzoe
Vintage

I noticed you mentioned Argosy's too... thus you must be thinking of getting a vintage unit!!! If so, the VAP is another great asset to assist you in obtaining more knowledge before you make the plunge.. The Vintage Airstream Podcast | Vintage Trailer Resotration

What are you looking for year and size wise?

Rob
http://bakersacresofchenango.blogspot.com/
Courtesy parking
Flag Pole Holders - http://robsflagpoleholders.blogspot.com/

robandzoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 08:07 PM   #9
1 Rivet Member

1969 29' Ambassador
Box Elder , South Dakota
What size?

Quote:
Originally Posted by robandzoe View Post
I noticed you mentioned Argosy's too... thus you must be thinking of getting a vintage unit!!! If so, the VAP is another great asset to assist you in obtaining more knowledge before you make the plunge.. The Vintage Airstream Podcast | Vintage Trailer Resotration

What are you looking for year and size wise?

Rob
Thank you all for the warm welcome I am looking forward to meeting some of you at a rally one day!

Size/age:
Ah! There's a good question! I am a large person and the smaller rigs just wouldn't have the space I need to feel comfortable, I also have a large dog, so something in the 25' and longer range would by my goal. I will need to make sure the sleeping quarters fit me comfortably too The class C I had the bunk was an inch or two short and that made sleeping an exercise in futility I don't want to do that again.

The right vintage unit would be fine if by vintage you mean a late 70's rig or newer. I am not into doing "to the studs renovation" A bit of repair, replacement on a rig that is sound is more my style.

Speaking of style I like to spend time in the boondocks for a for weeks at a time and enjoy nature. Therefore I would be adding solar as soon as I could to enable me to be independent of the grid for longer periods. I look at my rig as my cabin by the lake my chalet in the mountains the cottage by the shore my own guest house when visiting relatives. The rig will be my home my only home until I go dingy in the brain box and then ? Who cares? I won't In the mean time I'm going to have as much fun as I can and enjoy this wonderful country of ours on the road