Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-19-2018, 06:30 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Walhalla , South Carolina
Starting our "Great Adventure!"

Greetings everyone!
My wife and I are about to start our Great Adventure to go out there and see this great country of ours. We have raised our five children, 4 daughters and one son, and are selling our wonderful country home on 27 acres because it is just the two of us living in this big old house, and hit the road! Our major inspiration for doing this is my Aunt and Uncle who lived full time in an Airstream for many years. They were always going to Oregon, and places out west, and would park their Airstream at Hiawassee when they were in Georgia for family gatherings.
The plan is to buy a nice tow vehicle, a good used 25 or 28 foot Airstream and take off, and live full time for a year, and then decide whether to continue traveling and full timing, or buy another country home near the kids where we can park the Airstream and travel out of there.
We are hoping to attend an Airstream Rally as soon as possible because we have lots of questions. Are there any happening soon in South Carolina or Georgia or North Carolina?
We look forward to meeting some of you soon, and also using this forum.
I am already getting some of my questions answered as far as a tow vehicle.
As my Aunt and Uncle used to say, "Happy Trails!"
lesbuford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 06:45 AM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Greetings from the Florida Panhandle

Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us. You are on the right track with your plan. Until you can get to talk to some Airstreamers, there is a lot of great information here on these forums.

We have been on a similar plan for the last twelve years. We have not full-timed, but have spent about half of our time seeing this great country up close and personal. We have spent over 1,800 nights in our Airstream and have towed it 170,000 miles all over the lower 48 states. It has been a great experience and we have not tired of it yet.

Best wishes in you escape plan.

Brian
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2018, 06:31 PM   #3
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
1969 21' Globetrotter
Conifer , Colorado
Hi and welcome from Colorado. We got interested in Airstreaming from my wife's folks. They traveled all over our great country in their retirement until they couldn't manage anymore. Now we are following their example with the same Airstream. We do not full time as it is not our thing. But we spend about 50 nights a year on the road.

Our old trailer is one of those 34' three axle jobs. It is very comfortable, and has lots of storage room. I read here in these Forums that you should seriously consider the largest trailer possible, like the 28', or even a 31'. Airstreams by design are small on the inside compared to a big old fifth wheel with slide outs. In fact I bet there are more folks full timing in fifth wheels or motor homes than Airstreams. Airstreams are designed for efficient towing. Fifth wheels, not so much.

Things to consider full timing in an Airstream is the all aluminum body. It is light weight and aerodynamic. Aluminum is an excellent conductor of heat and cold. It is my view Airstreams are not well suited for very hot summers or very cold Minnesota winters. They are inefficient to cool and heat. They are perfect when it is 60 degrees out.

When we travel we usually park in a full service RV park somewhere. I almost always see "extended stay" folks in these parks. I find our trailer in rather close quarters to the others on the left and right. Some folks are not all that considerate of their neighbors concerning campfire fun or loud music and the like. It is rare, but it happens. If we don't like where we are, we pull out the next morning and try something different. Keep that in mind.

I might suggest you select the rig you want and try it for several months and see what you think. Then sell the homestead if it comes to that.

Read some of the full timing threads in these Forums and see what folks say who are actually doing it.

David
WBCCI #8607 VAC Region 11
KnowledgeBase trailer renovation threads: 69 Globetrotter, 76 Sovereign, 75 Overlander, 66 Trade Wind Such fun !
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote