Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-22-2007, 01:47 PM   #1
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Washington , Illinois
Wink Sooo glad I found this site!

Hello all! I don't have mine yet, but I'm looking for one to completely rehab and I was hoping to get some pointers on which airstream would be a good candidate. Any ideas?
Bobbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 01:51 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
We are soooo glad you found us....

Welcome to the AirForums.

Any additional information on what you are looking for? What do you have to tow with or will buy to tow with? What length of coach? Almost every year and style is represented here and people will respond to your questions. BTW - there is a classified tab above with coaches for sale - check it out for some good finds.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 02:13 PM   #3
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Washington , Illinois
Thinking 25-30 ft. and I'll get what I have to for towing. I'm really looking forward to doing this all on my own (the work of course) and enjoy learning new things. Saw a beautiful custom on timeless trailer site with modern materials but still had retro feel which is what I'm going for. Am I rambling yet? Just excited, I love the look, the feel and the individuality of airstreams.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:09 PM   #4
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
Hi Bobbie - Welcome to the Forums!

25'-30' new Airstreams are a lot heavier than 20 years ago -- 3/4-ton capacity SUV, truck or passenger van would be an appropriate tow vehicle.

25' vintage Airstream? Maybe a strong 1/2-ton. More than that - still close to a 3/4-ton. Restoring vintage yourself could take a huge investment of time (2-3 years) and significant money. Having it done could cost three-quarters of buying new.

You could easily be looking at a $100K to $125K investment. We aren't going to guess your needs. Which takes me to a common suggestion -- get yourself to a local rally of Airstreamers and talk to fellow Airstream owners. I think there is a small north Illinois rally this fall. The biggy is in June just east of Bloomington - we had over 30 Airstreams this year. Anybody is welcome to camp and join in at a Forums rally -- in a tent, popup camper, staying at a local motel & coming for the evening & day activities, etc. Seeing for yourself is the way to go!

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 03:13 PM   #5
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by CanoeStream
Anybody is welcome to camp and join in at a Forums rally -- in a tent, popup camper, staying at a local motel & coming for the evening & day activities, etc. Seeing is the way to go!
We had a forums member show up with a silver tent. He (and we) had a blast.
Eventually the right trailer will find you, whether it be vintage or late model, even antique or brand-new.
Old 08-22-2007, 03:20 PM   #6
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Washington , Illinois
Only 30min. from Bloomington, wish I could have caught that one. Thanks for info, definitely thinking vintage and going for the sweat equity, as I am not independently wealthy (yet!)
Old 08-22-2007, 05:35 PM   #7

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome to the Forums. We're glad to have you with us.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 05:39 PM   #8
Retired.

Currently Looking...
. , At Large
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie
Only 30min. from Bloomington, wish I could have caught that one. Thanks for info, definitely thinking vintage and going for the sweat equity, as I am not independently wealthy (yet!)
That being the case, the smaller the better (up to a point). Smaller trailers are easier to tow, are lighter, sell more easily, and since there's less of them to begin with, there's less of them to restore. Of course, they also cost more to initially purchase.
Longer trailers ride better, hold more stuff, have more room, are easier to back up, and are usually less expensive to initially purchase.
Old 08-22-2007, 06:36 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2003 22' International CCD
Kiln , Mississippi
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobbie
That's funny, Bloomington is where I bought my 1st Airstream, the 66 Caravel, almost 2 years ago.

They are out there - look around you will find the right one.
clancy_boy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 07:30 PM   #10
Rivet Master

2006 19' Safari SE
Tucson , Arizona
Welcome to the forum, Bobbie... Love your enthusiasm! You'll find all the advice and information you need to make good choices and find the AS of your dreams... Have fun with it!

TB
TBRich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2007, 08:11 PM   #11
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
St. Cloud , Minnesota
It takes a practiced hand to land a good vintage Airstream. Listen to The Vintage Airstream Podcast - Home episode 50, "Antsy for Airstreams." There's no more supply of vintage units being built and demand has gone up the last few months with the USA Today articles, etc. Per Tim, Colin & Rob at theVAP, "They all leak!" No, you won't get lucky and find one without problems -- but they do say in that episode that Airstreams from the desert states have floors in better conditions ... if you know what I mean. (Word to the wise, etc.)

If you're looking at 70's, 60's or before, plan on a shell off restoration and floor replacement. Only one good example of threads here = A-Merry-Can's thread - http://www.airforums.com/forums/f4/s...ent-17197.html.

In fact - I'm not actively working on my '74 Argosy right now and I still listen to every episode of theVAP! The bug will catch you...

5 meter Langford Nahanni

CanoeStream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 09:20 PM   #12
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Washington , Illinois
It's wonderful finding like-minded folks

Thanks for all the info, this site is a goldmine! I always appreciate looks combined with function, which is why AS appeal to me so much. Been working lots-o-hours lately, soo don't get here as much as I would like. I will post every before n after as soon as I get my baby!
Old 08-26-2007, 09:29 PM   #13
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Washington , Illinois
You all will be amazed!

Ladyslipper reproduction tub, a fabulous functional floor design, comfort and class are my goals. I don't need a mini-mansion, just an AS for me!
Old 08-26-2007, 10:33 PM   #14
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Washington , Illinois
Hey, I got a rivet. Cool....not surewhat it means, but enjoying the great responses. PS check out the pet section to see my sweetheart!
Old 08-26-2007, 10:39 PM   #15
Rivet Master

Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA
Bobbie,

I can tell you as a previous owner of three vintage airstreams, that they will ALL need extensive work (Unless it has been kept in storage it's whole life). Just read my signiture...it says it all. Not wanting to deter you, make sure you have extensive abilities in welding and metal working, carpentry, plumbing, electrical systems, pipe sweating, etc.

Yesterday I finally bit the bullet and bought a 2 year old model. Other than wanting a little more space, this unit will definately work for what we need.

Steve
Old 08-26-2007, 10:53 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member

Currently Looking...
Washington , Illinois
Thumbs up Well..

Luckily being a fairly intelligent gal AND having a mantra of around, under, or through. I feel somewhat qualified to tackel(Sp?) OHHH, just bout anythiing! Bring it on!!!!
Old 08-26-2007, 11:26 PM   #17
Rivet Master

1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
hi bobbie and welcome to the forums,

here's a link to some threads to check out of extensive "renovations" that other members are currently working on (as i don't think any of them are ever finished). you can spend hours and hours reading these, enjoy!

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f44/...ons-35399.html

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 11:35 PM   #18
Rivet Master

1963 16' Bambi
1962 22' Safari
Yreka , California
Welcome!

Welcome Bobbie!

This is the place to learn all things Airstream! And, I agree they are wonderful! The suggestion of going to a rally and checking out different ones is really an excellent suggestion! Folks will talk to you and explain what they like best and why. Start making a list of what is absolutely the most important to you, and then add the "wish" list following.

We have a 1963 restored Bambi (16' from tongue to bumper ~ cabin is 13 ft' inside) But our sweet little Bambi is self contained and we can entertain 4 to 6 people inside rather comfortably! Imagine!

Here is a thread I suggest you check out:

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f353...eam-22920.html

Here is a thread my husband posted when restoring our Bambi. He has lots of photos and such you can scan through to see what kind of labor is involved. (Ours is the smallest one made)

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f36/...mbi-17925.html

There are several women who restore their Airstreams and do a wonderful job! The guys and gals will be great and when you run into a question or need help, those who have been there can give you a bit of advice!

There are lots of fairly good medium size Airstreams (22' Safari, Flying Clouds, etc.) that might be a good compromise. Some folks "gut" theirs or find a vintage one that has been gutted and create a "moderne" interior. Some of them are awesome. Check the classifieds here, and keep a eye on ebay to see what is out there!

Good luck!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)
CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote