Old 08-26-2007, 10:39 PM   #15
Rivet Master
Currently Looking...
Florissant , USA

I can tell you as a previous owner of three vintage airstreams, that they will ALL need extensive work (Unless it has been kept in storage it's whole life). Just read my says it all. Not wanting to deter you, make sure you have extensive abilities in welding and metal working, carpentry, plumbing, electrical systems, pipe sweating, etc.

Yesterday I finally bit the bullet and bought a 2 year old model. Other than wanting a little more space, this unit will definately work for what we need.

Streaming Soldiers Blog
soldiermedic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 10:53 PM   #16
1 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Washington , Illinois
Thumbs up Well..

Luckily being a fairly intelligent gal AND having a mantra of around, under, or through. I feel somewhat qualified to tackel(Sp?) OHHH, just bout anythiing! Bring it on!!!!

The Phoenix says: You are never done learning, you just stop paying attention...
Bobbie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 11:26 PM   #17
Rivet Master
1956 22' Flying Cloud
Venice , California
hi bobbie and welcome to the forums,

here's a link to some threads to check out of extensive "renovations" that other members are currently working on (as i don't think any of them are ever finished). you can spend hours and hours reading these, enjoy!

*by asking the above question,
i verify that i have already used
the search feature to the best of my ability...
urbanfood is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-26-2007, 11:35 PM   #18
Rivet Master
1963 16' Bambi
Yreka , California

Welcome Bobbie!

This is the place to learn all things Airstream! And, I agree they are wonderful! The suggestion of going to a rally and checking out different ones is really an excellent suggestion! Folks will talk to you and explain what they like best and why. Start making a list of what is absolutely the most important to you, and then add the "wish" list following.

We have a 1963 restored Bambi (16' from tongue to bumper ~ cabin is 13 ft' inside) But our sweet little Bambi is self contained and we can entertain 4 to 6 people inside rather comfortably! Imagine!

Here is a thread I suggest you check out:

Here is a thread my husband posted when restoring our Bambi. He has lots of photos and such you can scan through to see what kind of labor is involved. (Ours is the smallest one made)

There are several women who restore their Airstreams and do a wonderful job! The guys and gals will be great and when you run into a question or need help, those who have been there can give you a bit of advice!

There are lots of fairly good medium size Airstreams (22' Safari, Flying Clouds, etc.) that might be a good compromise. Some folks "gut" theirs or find a vintage one that has been gutted and create a "moderne" interior. Some of them are awesome. Check the classifieds here, and keep a eye on ebay to see what is out there!

Good luck!

Mrs. NorCal Bambi (traveling in S Tardis)

CaddyGrn is offline   Reply With Quote