Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Go Back   Airstream Forums > Airstream Community Forums > Our Community > Member Introductions
Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Search Log in

Old 09-21-2006, 08:34 PM   #1
Eharv

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Austin , Texas
Question Soon to be Newbie with Tons of Questions

I am a retired school adminstrator and completely new to RVing, and am so pleased to have found THIS site.

I have ordered a 2007 Safari 25SS/LS/SE that is scheduled to arrive by the end of October. I plan to use my 2006 Ford F 150 FX Crew to pull it.

I have tons of questions, but guess my first ones deal with the equipment that I need.

First, what kind of weight equilizer and sway system would be the best----I am currently consdering an Eqal-i-zer system?

Second, which brake controller would be the best---I am currently considering a Tekonsha Prodigy v2.6?

Third, what type of backup camera system would be best---I am currently considering the Voyagber VOS7694.

Fourth, what satellite system should I get----I have NO idea---I currrently have DISH at my homes and use 811 HD receivers. (Dish website has been no help to me.)

Any suggestions certainly would be appreciated.

Looking forward to a whole new adventure!

EHARV
eharv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 08:41 PM   #2

2015 25' FB Flying Cloud
2012 23' FB Flying Cloud
2005 25' Safari
Santa Rosa Beach , Florida
Welcome to the Forums. Look at both the Equalizer and the Hensley. The Prodigy is probably the best controler.
WBCCI #3628 -- AIR #14872 -- TAC #FL-7
2015 FC 25' FB (Lucy) with ProPride
2020 Silverado 2500 (Vivian)
2023 Rivian R1T (Opal)
moosetags is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 08:48 PM   #3
Rivet Master

2006 25' Safari FB SE
Huntington Beach , California
Good choices

eharv,

Your choices for the WD hitch and brake controller are good to go. I did the same with no regrets. As for the back-up camera, you may want to consider some of the aftermarket in-dash GPS units that have the camera function option, it may be cost effective since you will want a GPS. As for Satellite, most recommend a mobile dish that is not attached to the AS structurally (tripod style), thus allowing easier alignment.

John
TIMEMACHINE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2006, 08:54 PM   #4
3 Rivet Member

2005 19' Safari
Duluth , Minnesota
Welcome EHARV!

Sure read a lot on the site regarding Hensley... Suspect you'll find that will be the unit of choice. We are not new to RVing just new to AS this year. Our new unit is a 19' Safari. This was our dream-trailer for our retirement years. After a great deal of thought we just took the plunge this year rather than waiting for retirement. We have had a ton of fun this year already with our new rig. Hope you guys find your new home away from home to be as rewarding as we have! Enjoy!
skykingpilot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 08:19 AM   #5
1 Rivet Short

1989 25' Excella
By The Bay , Rhode Island
Air Stream-Prodigy-EQ

Three great choices!

Welcome and enjoy your new AS.
This forum and the great people on it, are a wealth of info,

Bill
BillTex is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 08:43 AM   #6

2004 30' Classic Slideout
Fenton , Missouri
Send a message via AIM to jcanavera Send a message via Skype™ to jcanavera
You might also consider a Jordan brake controller. Also one of the best on the market. http://www.jordanbrake.com/

As far as your Dish network goes, you should be able to use one of your home receivers on the road. Of course you will need to get a dish and something to mount it on. Note that you probably will not receive your local stations (assuming you subscribe to local stations) once you get too far away from Austin. Those are on a spot beam transponder and are focused to cover that area only.

I have an Equal-i-zer hitch so you are getting a good product there. You might consider ordering the spares kit with your Equal-i-zer which will give you a small box of the essential parts that sometimes people lose while out on the road.

Jack
AIR #56 S/OS#15
'04 Classic 30' S.O.,'03 GMC Savana 2500
jcanavera is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-22-2006, 09:07 AM   #7
3 Rivet Member

2006 28' Safari SE
Winter Park , Florida
Congratulations! We've had our 2006 Airstream since April and have loved it - hope you enjoy yours as much. When we picked ours up the dealer installed an Equalizer while we did our walkthrough and I've had no problems with it. It's simple to adjust and has needed no maintenance. It's the only brand I've tried but I recommend it.

I didn't get a satellite installed but bought a portable dish from Camper's World and use my Directv box from the house. It works - when it works - but it's a pain to align the dish manually and we've several times ended up in a campsite with no clear southern view. If you can afford it I'd recommend something that aligns itself electronically but I'd think those are pretty expensive.

GO GATORS!!
dbradhstream is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-24-2006, 12:34 PM   #8
2 Rivet Member

2007 25' Safari SS SE
Havana , Florida
EHARV

Welcome! We too purchased the 2007 25 SS LS SE trailer, only difference probably is that we ordered the bunk bed option. My husband did much research and we are going with the Hensely Hitch. Our tow vehicle is 1500 Dodge Ram with the extra heavy axle.

Congrats on you new airstream!
Old 09-24-2006, 02:44 PM   #9
Rivet Master

2007 30' Classic
Hernando , Mississippi
Welcome & nice choices

We are nearing retirement also, but bought our 25fb last Feb and love it. We have the dealer installed equalizer and anti-sway and have had no problems at all. It pulls great with our Ford F-150 crewcab. Tekonsha is what the dealer installed for us - it works fine. We also purchased a dish network reciever from Radio Shack (apprx $100), a portable dish and tripod from the local camper guys. Simply phone the dish folks and they'll set you up. We have had little problem getting a signal, but remember you'll have to "re-channelize" your TV everytime you move. Enjoy and let us know if you need any help. Advice here is worth exactly what you pay for it. HAHA!
Scott
ScottW is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-26-2006, 08:28 PM   #10
Ernie & Madaline #3570

2010 30' Classic
Westford , Massachusetts
Send a message via AIM to bauere
You'll love the AS ...

Welcome to the forum. We purchased a Sarari 28 last spring and went through all the same questions and choices. Our tow vehicle is a GMC Yukon/denali, we decided on the Hensley, and the prodigy controller works great. Have had 4 great trips so far and one more planned before winter sets in. Hope you enjoy your new trailer!

Ernie
bauere is offline   Reply With Quote