Old 03-04-2018, 04:51 PM   #1

2018 27' International
Albuquerque , New Mexico
Soon to be free! Retiring and going full time.

Hi! So glad to meet all of you. I have found this forum to be an invaluable resource as we prepare to live and travel full time in our new AS. It will be delivered to the dealership here in Albuquerque, Holiday Airstream of New Mexico. What great folks, endlessly knowledgeable, here at Holiday. We will take a few short trips while we finish up at our jobs, then head to Colorado in July to spend the summer with our grown sons. So exciting!

I am confident about all aspects of this adventure except a bit nervous about our 75lb dog. Any ideas regarding life in an AS with a big dog are much appreciated.

Thanks, and see you on the road!

Becky

Shinynomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 05:09 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2014 31' Classic
2015 23' International
2013 25' FB International
Apache Junction , Arizona
Welcome to the forums and the Airstream community in general.

TV - 2012 Dodge 2500 4x4 Cummins HO, automatic, Centramatics, Kelderman level ride airbag suspension, bed shell

2014 31' Classic model 30 twin beds, 50 amp service, 900 watt solar system, Centramatics, Dill TPMS, disc brakes, 16" tires & wheels
switz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 05:18 PM   #3
3 Rivet Member

Menomonee Falls , Wisconsin
Retirement

good luck Becky,
I can't wait for that day. We got a 185 pd newf. that's a big dog. Always in the middle of the aisle. Take a side trip to Glacier park, via the bear tooth hwy. do you motorcycle? That's a great ride. Anyway, good luck to you guys.
davejay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 05:56 PM   #4
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
Welcome to the fold and congrats on your retirement.

About jumping into full timing , Think long and hard about selling you house .

A friend of ours was going to sell her condo and full time in her new motor home.Then park it an her sons house in Wisconsin when she was tired of being on the road and live in it there. The first year out she stopped ant her sons for Thanksgiving and it got cold and she headed south fast and forgot about ending up in Wisconsin.

A bunch of us talked her out of selling her condo and to rent it out using a rental agent.

She took the advice and rented it out and was so glade she did .

After 5 years she was ready to get off the road.
She still had a place to return to where all her friends and Doctors were and the weather was great (Pismo Beach,CA).

Had she sold she would have been forced out as Property values soared up during those 5 years.

The rent collected paid for The storage of her furniture and stuff and a complete remodel on the Condo.

Talk about a win win . Think about it.
2001 Casita 13' Patriot Deluxe
WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 06:03 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1969 25' Tradewind
Shasta Lake , California
I hope your 75# dog sleeps somewhere other then the bedroom and you should be ok.
2001 Casita 13' Patriot Deluxe
WBCCI #6269

My Build Thread https://www.airforums.com/forums/f11...ml#post1997059
Glenritas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2018, 06:15 PM   #6
Rivet Master

1986 34' Limited
1975 27' Overlander
Conifer , Colorado
A big welcome from Colorado: Congratulations on your new Airstream purchase. They are well made, easy to tow, and an American icon. The aluminum body bodes well for a very long product life. We have an 86 Limited and a 75 Overlander. Both of which are in good shape and comfortable travelers. I do have the Overlander torn apart right now as I renovate it to more modern appliances and the like. I enjoy working on these vintage Airstreams.

I do agree with friend Glenritas. Full timing in an Airstream is a challenge in spite of the big dog. It is considered a temperate weather trailer, not a below zero or 95 above trailer. You would be wise to try it for so many months or a year before you decide to liquidate everything. Living in an Airstream is living in a trailer park. We have never had any particular problems, but people are people. There are the guys who start their trucks up at 5:30 am, there's the guys who party until late, the guys who have big dogs who bark at you when you walk by, the laundromat is busy, someone parked where you were parking, someone took your little bbq grill, etc, etc. When we have had enough, we just hitch up and move on down the road, no problem. But full timers may have a monthly contract that might be forfeited in such a situation. All I'm saying is full timing isn't everything you might expect. Get out there and try it before you commit.

David
WBCCI #8607
VAC Region 11

Link to my 1975 Overlander Improvement Journal:
https://www.airforums.com/forums/f17...ml#post2053792
dbj216 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 05:07 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2006 22' Interstate
Normal , Illinois
Congratulations, and may you have many happy miles.

I second careful thinking on selling your home just yet, if it is an option to hold onto it while you travel.

A 75# dog is a lot of animal in an AS of any size, but it of course can be done.

Lily is 55 pounds, but I wouldn’t travel without her...and she feels the same way,

Maggie
Old 03-05-2018, 09:39 AM   #8
Rivet Master

2014 25' Flying Cloud
Cuddebackville , New York
Congrats- I think you'll find retirement the best job you ever had.

We've traveled with two dogs, totaling 75lbs with no problem at all. We always have a couple of dog towels that we put on the floor just inside the door on wet days. It gets their feet drier before they walk though the trailer.
Old 03-05-2018, 11:40 AM   #9
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Congrats on retirement. The comute is great. The vacation plan is fantastic. The co-workers are the best. Education opportunities just keep on coming. Colorado - be sure to visit Mesa Verde. It is a very educational place if you have any interest in native history. Plan on visitingbthe Albuquerque Balloon Fiesta in the Fall. It's a great place to meet lots of Airstream owners and the morning views are kind of cool. Plan a trip to the factory when you are close. It is worth your time and a good way to learn about airstream history and progress. Consider New England to see the leaves turn in the Fall, the Southwest in the Winter to stay warm, the South in the Spring and move up to Canada in the Summer. We are looking forward to seeing your post of what is outside your door every Sunday.

Welcome to the forum. Hope to see your smile down the road. Pat

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f47/...-164992-4.html

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...24522-134.html
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:43 AM   #10
PKI
Rivet Master

2015 23' FB Flying Cloud
Walnut Creek , California
Oh! Your dog - that will take care of itself. Pat

http://www.airforums.com/forums/f42/...og-177503.html
PKI is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2018, 11:50 AM   #11
2 Rivet Member

2006 30' Classic
Santa Fe , New Mexico
Congrats on your retirement. You are entering one of the best times of your life. Retirement is sweeeeeeet. Here's to safe travels and many adventures ahead. (with a new Airstream to boot).

firstwave is offline   Reply With Quote