Old 10-20-2015, 10:13 AM   #1
1 Rivet Member
2015 25' Flying Cloud
Murfreesboro , Tennessee
Soon to be Airstream owner from TN

Hi all,

I've been reading and learning a lot on the forum before taking the plunge. We recently placed a deposit on a slightly used 2015 RB Flying Cloud but I'm not making the drive to pick it up in FL for another few weeks. In the mean time I found a used Hensley hitch and now reading up on how to install and adjust it. The information on the forum is really invaluable and I hope to be able to contribute in the future.

I recently retired and this will be our first travel trailer. My wife and I are really looking forward to traveling the country and finding great places to camp and meet new people!

Carmen214 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 11:00 AM   #2
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Dallas , Texas
Welcome. We are headed back to Texas after visiting our son in Nashvlle.

Sent from my iPhone using Airstream Forums

Dana and Olga
2006 Safari 23
2011 Tundra Double Cab
Goal15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 11:07 AM   #3
1 Rivet Member
Currently Looking...
Deland , Florida
Welcome to the forum! Hope its everything you are hoping it is when you pick it up. We are in the process of purchasing one too. It's a scary and exciting adventure.
PuraVida567 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 11:57 AM   #4
Rivet Master
2006 23' Safari SE
Lexington , Kentucky
Welcome to the forums, Airstreaming and retirement
Glad to have you aboard

Rich & Yvonne
2006 Safari SE -Dora-
2004 4Runner SE

richw46 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-20-2015, 01:03 PM   #5
Rivet Master

1999 34' Excella
Currently Looking...
Round Rock , Texas
Welcome aboard!

Starting with a Hensley is good idea. I do not know how "used" the Hensley is, but you can always have the Hensley folks "recondition" it if you are concerned.

Since the AS is relatively "new", get the whole story about first "owner" and why it was back at dealer.

I would ask dealer for a "shakedown" camp out nearby so if there are any discovered problems/issues, you can get resolved before leaving the area. Getting an AS "serviced" by other dealers can be an issue, as they "service their customers first".

Since we do not know "where"'in FL you purchased, perhaps find another "local Airstreamer" to accompany you on the AS delivery and possible observation and assist with first "setup/takedown" process. To find someone who might help, go to the "portal page" of this website and on the lower right find "trailer inspector" then enter the info and contact some folks!

Presuming you have towed SOMETHING before and have adequate TV (tow vehicle) for the task, including brake controller, etc, you should be almost ready!

Find a "set of scales" to weigh and properly "setup" your rig. Get a tire air and temperature it.

Lots to learn... Lots of new "experiences"... Like "how to empty the waste holding tanks" (dump the tanks). What hoses, fittings, Biohazard precautions, etc, to safely execute successfully ( not good "trial and error" learning method). Watch YouTube videos.. Some good, some awful. Look up "long long honeymoon" an example. (No financial connections).

Also, find a "local" AStreamer close to home. They will probably be really helpful people!

Blessings to you....
Peace and Blessings..
WBCCI# 30676
cwf is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 07:34 AM   #6
1 Rivet Member
2015 25' Flying Cloud
Murfreesboro , Tennessee
Thank you for the replies and well wishes! We are certainly looking forward to this new chapter in our lives!

cwf, I appreciate your suggestions! The hitch is actually still orange (not pink from oxidation) and other than some poor factory black paint that flaked off here and there the hitch looks sound with little apparent wear on the bushings, pins, zerk fittings, etc. The SN is 10575 so I don't think it's especially old and in need of refurbishment. It has a straight tow bar and 1,000 lb. WD bars which I believe should work out but I'll see...

My TV is a 2012 Nissan NV2500 with tow package which I'm hoping will do the job. I wanted secure space for a small motorcycle, bicycles, etc. and I think the NV will work out. It's the high roof model so kind of like my garage on wheels. I just need to watch my weights of course. I will definitely be visiting CAT scales a couple of times to dial things in. Yesterday I installed a Tekonsha P3 brake controller so I should be good to go.

I pulled a 6'x12' enclosed utility trailer many miles when I raced motorcycles so I have some experience towing and maintaining wheel bearings, tires, etc. although the Airstream will be a significant difference but I think I have some idea of what to expect. The original owner ended up being too nervous towing a trailer so he traded it back in on a motor home. However, I will take your advice and see if there might be someone in the Tampa area that would offer to take a look before I drive down. Of course buying used is always a risk/reward deal but I try to go in with my eyes open.

Over the past year I read Long Long Honeymoon, How to Buy an Airstream and The Newbies Guide to Airstreaming so I've tried to do as much homework as possible but it's like engineering school. You get some basics to get you started but the real learning starts when you actually practice it.

Take care,

Bob and Tracy
Old 10-21-2015, 07:43 AM   #7
Rivet Master

2008 25' Classic
Nixa , Missouri
Sounds like you are getting all your ducks in a row. Is your Nissan the 2500 or 3500 with the V8?

2008 Classic 25fb "Silver Mistress"
2015 Ram 2500 6.7L Cummins. Crew Cab, 4x4, Silver
2010 Tundra 5.7L, Double Cab, 2wd, White
KJRitchie is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-21-2015, 10:36 AM   #8
1 Rivet Member
2015 25' Flying Cloud
Murfreesboro , Tennessee
It's the 2500 with the V-8. Gas mileage isn't the best but I think the all around reliability and room offset that.