Old 11-18-2012, 07:00 PM   #29
2 Rivet Member
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Hi All,

More advice needed...

We found our airstream - a 2007 25fb Safari Limited and it's in excellent condition EXCEPT...

-After studying the forums we knew to look out for possible water damage and signs of prior water damage under the dinette (appears to be an issue on all pre-2010 models with the large panoramic windows at the back). Sure enough, the wood at the edge of the flooring, against the wall was damaged and chunky and black. It was dry, but clearly toasted. Of course, without tearing everything out, we won't know the extent of the water damage but we are imagining it extends a few feet out. The floor wasn't noticeably spongey.

I've seen the posts about this issue and it looks like repairs could cost as much as $4000-$5000 and/or is something that can be fixed if we're handy. I'm hoping we can negotiate a better price with an eye towards fixing it and it's my thought that the bones are good. Brief history of the location of this unit: the original owner's were in San Fran (read: WET) while the current owners are in Colorado (read: dry desert). My dream is that the damage is done, nothing is overly rotter, and we fix the leaking areas and drive away into the sunset. Or...are we crazy - should we be running away? It seems like we'll will see this issue over and over as long as we are looking at this floorplan and model year range.

irm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2012, 08:46 PM   #30
Site Team
1974 31' Sovereign
Ottawa , ON
Too long an Airstream is just about long enough...'ll see. Lots of folks have wished they bought a longer one, and yet I've not yet heard anyone say they bought too long

Aage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2012, 09:27 AM   #31
2 Rivet Member
2007 25' Safari FB SE
Boulder , Colorado
Hi everyone!

Just putting some closure to this post...we are no longer looking! Check out my post with pics on this thread:

Things happened pretty quickly but the situation was just too right! We didn't take ALL of your advice, but after hanging out at the local Airstream dealership for hours, hearing your suggestions, and reading the forums we ended up with a 25ft FB

Thank you so much for your advice...after our first night in our AS we know the size is perfect. I can't even believe we thought a 19ft trailer would do the trick! Thanks for saving me time and effort...

irm is offline   Reply With Quote