Old 06-01-2006, 05:25 PM   #1
Currently Looking...
Currently Looking...
Champaign , Illinois
Shopping for an Airstream 25' to 31' under $10K

Hello Airstream Forum Folks,

My wife and I are looking to buy a used Airstream. I've been checking the postings. It seems like everything interesting is located a long ways from central Illinois. It's hard to find the time to travel hundreds of miles to look at a trailer. But something will show up eventually...

So, if you have an Airstream for sale within a couple of hundred miles of Champaign, IL, I'd sure like to heear from you. Prices greater than $10,000 aren't out of the question depending on what's offered.

Archer1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 06:05 PM   #2
Rivet Master
1988 25' Excella
Sunnyvale , California
Send a message via AIM to Condoluminum

Welcome, and good luck with your search... As you search hrough posted threads, several concepts should appear to guide you...

1. The further from home you are willing to look, the more candidates there are... For many vintage and rare models, however, the market is "national"
2. Not everyone is honest or shares your views on condition and value. Get second opinions, and look carefully before leaping.
3. Because of weight and tow vehicle concerns, 31's are about same price as 25's in many cases. Larger means more hassle in state/county/national parks plus more room. Smaller means easier towing, more crowded...
4. Condition is big deal in value and price... You (or some other owner) could easily spend $15K fixing up a "fixer-upper", and wipe out a small difference in purchase price. Rarely does the fixer upper get immediate payback on their investment if they have to sell...
5. There are as many stories of finding an Airstream 10 miles away as 3,000 miles. Patience is a good thing...

John McG

In Theory, there's no difference between Theory and Practice, but in Practice, there is usually a difference...
Condoluminum is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 08:44 PM   #3
4 Rivet Member
2005 30' Safari
Chandler , Arizona
Patience is a good thing...

John McG[/quote]

John is wise.... I recently purchased my families AS and found this community provides very useful, if not the best advice on the web. Ask questions.. Use the search function. My recommendation is to first narrow the buying decision to ONE floor plan that specifically fits as many of your personal needs. You can then search for the exact model as far from home as your heart desires. I ended up buying 600 miles from home but looked seriously at one 1800 miles from AZ. Without question, willingness to go the extra mile provides you, THE BUYER, a better position to negotiate more importantly choice, to find 'The One'.
Good Luck,
AZstreamin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 09:38 PM   #4
Rivet Master
1992 34' Limited
Falls Church , Virginia
Search feature, 'red flags', buyer beware!

Archer -

Use the search button on the top right extensively. Be a 'browser' of ads for a while. Read all about 'replacing' this and that.... floors, HWH, gaucho, etc....

That should keep you quite busy for a time, depending on your reading speed!

Then be sure to use the Caveat Emptor rational as you start to think about what you want, need, can afford and etc... Be SURE to have solid parameters for what you will consider. Don't yield on that.

Lots to do, see, read about and enjoy here even if you don't own an AS yet.

There is SO Much to learn.... Take your time. Enjoy the process. AS ownership will come when it is right!

SilverToy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 10:05 PM   #5
Rivet Master
1972 25' Tradewind
North Vancouver , British Columbia
Welcome to the forum. I've been seeing some interesting trailers on, so it might be worth checking there regularly. Here's an example:

It's only 21' but looks like a tidy little unit.

Cameron & the Labradors
Kai & Samm
North Vancouver, BC
AIR #11529
Live! Life's a banquet and most poor suckers are starving to death! - Mame Dennis
cameront120 is offline   Reply With Quote