Old 11-28-2014, 06:10 PM   #1
Peoria , Arizona
Shopping and asking questions =)

Just joined and looking and reading to get some questions answered.

My sister and I are looking to spend a year or so cycling across USA well really my sister is more the rider than me my butt hurts after 10 miles. So im driving since i have lots of experience towing.

We looked at 5th wheels as that has been my experience in towing but when we looked at comfort and resale we decided we are going with Airstream 25-27 FB cloud.

Im stuck on stuff like, what to pack that's small and can store? cooking cleaning etc. I found a bunch of lists and am getting that part handled.

I'm more concerned with safety and security stuff like

1) do you need a surge protector to plug into various camp sites?

2) should we add solar? if so how much do we need, (mechanical and electrical not my thing) or

3) do we need a small generator instead? are their any quiet ones?

4) locks, how good are the locks on the trailer door and on the storage compartment

5) how can i keep them safe at nite (I guess we can always bring them inside but that isnt a great solution for long term, and i have a recumbent bike so im not sure if we could get it in the door and we will have other ppl join us from time to time.... over crowding possible )

6) how do you secure your valuables like computers, laptops etc when not in the trailer?

7) Electrical, wifi, internet connection, need to keep my internet business up and running a few hours a week to pay for things sooooo if i attached the receivers and boosters i need how do I do that without drilling holes without ruining integrity of the airstream skin (did I mention not very mechanical

So I don't even know where to start on some of it. Ideas, suggestions, point me in the right direction greatly appreciated.

(we are towing with f250 diesel cus i like power =) going up hill, i think its an inverse function of how slow i cycle uphill

Ty for your help!

Ganado is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 06:29 PM   #2
Rivet Master

2017 30' Classic
Upper St Clair , Pennsylvania
Welcome to the forums and potential AS owner. I will put my 2 cents in on your questions.

1. I use one for both our AS and our Motorhome, never plug in without it and even do so at home where we have 30AMP service in the garage.

2. We have both solar and when needed two honda generators for operating one of our A/C. Solar will not operate the appliances, only charge the batteries, which if you are without "shore" power you will appreciate.

3. Above. A single 2000 Honda will give you most of what you need for a night or two and will also charge the batteries.

4. Storage compartment locks on all trailers be they AS or SOB are basically to keep the doors closed while driving and to keep the honest people honest. If someone wants in they are in.

5. We lock our bikes to the trailer or leave them locked on the truck. Again unfortunately if someone is bent on stealing your bikes they will probably get them. If it's a major concern, which I suspect it is, I would recommend staying in commercial campgrounds as often as possible. Our experience is they are usually more secure than state or federal parks and especially boondocking.

6. We never have. We carry lots of electronic stuff, laptops, tablets, cameras. Simply put them away and lock up the unit and leave.

7. We always connect through a hots spot and VPN on our tablet to the internet and then if need be connect the laptop through the hotspot. We avoid any public WiFi, be it campground, truck stop or what ever. Way too many people now hanging around these public hot spots waiting to pick up your connection and ultimately your info. Which is why we set up our own VPN, actually our son did, so when we connect we are very secure back through his server in his house.

Good luck, all good questions and I am certain there will be many more as you move forward.

Bud & Alice (Bud posts)
Abby- Black Lab-TDI Certified
Hopey-Yellow Lab-TDI Certified
2017 30' Classic
2015 F350 6.7 Diesel Crew Cab
USAF - Military Training Instructor (TI) - 68-72
paiceman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-28-2014, 07:08 PM   #3
Peoria , Arizona
Ty Alice and Bud

Appreciate the advice on generators and solar. I can see now we need 2 generators.

Unfortunately I do have to take my electronics to support this trip but im a wiz at security so I don't worry about public wifi, like everything else it has its learning curve. Now electricity, solar and generators, shoot me now! =)
Ganado is offline   Reply With Quote